KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
627 Posts
This will keep me going for the next week. So baffle in or out?

·
Registered
434 Posts
This will keep me going for the next week. So baffle in or out?
Did you run your muffler with baffle in or out. I thought i read, with CAT removable baffle out, and with link pipe baffle in. I have a link pipe and didn't like the sound with the baffle in, Ive been cutting and trying different baffles, and actually blew one out the back on the track day, blowing out the mesh, I've now got the removable in, i cut it in half, drilled out the rivets and fitted the baffle backwards so i now have a 28mm exit hole. It sounds better, i think the mesh makes the exhaust sound like a helicopter. Im still mucking around with mine, but i did notice on the track day with no baffle after it blew out, the bike did drop a bit of top end go, my top speed down the straight dropped by 5kph, so i didn't do anymore laps. Im toying with whether to fit the CAT back on with IXIL with just half the baffle fitted backwards.

·
Super-Moderator
627 Posts
As mentioned, there are two baffles. One is welded and one removable. I did not take out the welded one. I left it in tact. I did leave the removable baffle OUT. I am OK with the sound.

·
Registered
434 Posts
^^ Yeah the pipe sounds ok with just the welded baffle in as long as you leave the CAT in place, its when the CAT is removed for a link pipe, then the pipe sounds barky and loud and not deep. Long pipes sound better with out the CAT. but these short pipes suit the bike and look the business.

·
Registered
434 Posts
^^ Yeah the pipe sounds ok with just the welded baffle in as long as you leave the CAT in place, its when the CAT is removed for a link pipe, then the pipe sounds barky and loud and not deep. Long pipes sound better with out the CAT. but these short pipes suit the bike and look the business.
Heres a pic of my IXIL, the loosed fitted baffle that came with it, i cut in half removing the blocked centre part and fitted it backwards into the muffler. Had to drill out the rivets to fit it in. sounds good, a bit deeper that the stock IXIL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Heres a pic of my IXIL, the loosed fitted baffle that came with it, i cut in half removing the blocked centre part and fitted it backwards into the muffler. Had to drill out the rivets to fit it in. sounds good, a bit deeper that the stock IXIL. View attachment 4450
Nicely done! Do you have fotos of the process? You put rivets again or screws in the place?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nicely done! Do you have fotos of the process? You put rivets again or screws in the place?
The baffle that comes with the IXIL is very restrictive, designed to be run with out the CAT. I wasn't happy with the sound either, so tried a few other baffles i brought off eBay (china/cheep) on a track day the baffle i fitted came loose at the locking screws and blew right out through the mesh at the exit of the muffler, so i drilled out the rivets, cut the original ixil baffle in half, fitted it backwards in the muffler, then put the end cap back on, with rivets again. Theres enough mesh to hold the baffle in place, i also refitted the CAT. So i now have a muffler that has a 28mm exit hole, which helps the muffler muffle the sound, without the CAT i found the 790 lost some torque down low in the revs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The baffle that comes with the IXIL is very restrictive, designed to be run with out the CAT. I wasn't happy with the sound either, so tried a few other baffles i brought off eBay (china/cheep) on a track day the baffle i fitted came loose at the locking screws and blew right out through the mesh at the exit of the muffler, so i drilled out the rivets, cut the original ixil baffle in half, fitted it backwards in the muffler, then put the end cap back on, with rivets again. Theres enough mesh to hold the baffle in place, i also refitted the CAT. So i now have a muffler that has a 28mm exit hole, which helps the muffler muffle the sound, without the CAT i found the 790 lost some torque down low in the revs.
I think you've done a great job. I like the mesh but in your case you couldn't get it back 😆
Baffle painted with high temp lacquer?
Mine is euro 4 and the db killer is welded inside, so the only thing I could do is drill a hole inside to open the end cap of the db killer and it will be similar to yours.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I think you've done a great job. I like the mesh but in your case you couldn't get it back 😆
Baffle painted with high temp lacquer?
Mine is euro 4 and the db killer is welded inside, so the only thing I could do is drill a hole inside to open the end cap of the db killer and it will be similar to yours.
It definitely sounds better with the mesh removed, some how it alters the exhaust sound. My IXIL came with 2 baffles, one was tack welded to the pipe, which i ground off the tack welds so i could remove it, or refit it at will. the other was an optional loose one, thats the one i cut in half, its very restrictive. i painted it with mat black exhaust paint. Im finally happy with it now, it has a much more deeper sound rather than a higher bark, if that maks sense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It definitely sounds better with the mesh removed, some how it alters the exhaust sound. My IXIL came with 2 baffles, one was tack welded to the pipe, which i ground off the tack welds so i could remove it, or refit it at will. the other was an optional loose one, thats the one i cut in half, its very restrictive. i painted it with mat black exhaust paint. Im finally happy with it now, it has a much more deeper sound rather than a higher bark, if that maks sense.
It makes all the sense. Mine came with both db killers welded, euro 4 homologation...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts