KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Looking for a little help.

I have installed the EvoTech Tail tidy on my 2020 US market bike. Before you ask, yes, it did melt the turn signal, but just a little bit and it's hardly noticeable. Still working fine for now.

On to my real issue - After installation, I checked out the lighting system and everything worked as it should. After the first road test, 3 LEDs in in the EvoTech brake light were out. I checked all wiring connections, but no change. I reached out to EvoTech and they were happy to process a warranty claim and got me a replacement brake light in just a couple days (great service).

So now I have the replacement. I disconnected the first brake light and hooked up the replacement...and it has 3 LEDs out, but it's 3 different LEDs! I made a diagram I'll refer to here....
First brake light has LEDs 1,2, and 3 out.

Replacement has LEDs 4,5, and 9 out.

Now I'm really confused...did I get a bad replacement or is there something wrong in the wiring? Double checked all wiring harness connections correct and secure.

Then I hooked my stock brake light up and no issues at all.

Next, tried reconnecting the original and replacement EvoTech brake light. Double checked all wiring harness connections correct and secure again. And I still have same issue, 3 LEDs out - same ones on each light.

Anyone smarter than me have any ideas? I would think maybe the EvoTech wiring kit from brake light to bike wiring, but it doesn't make any sense (to me at least) that it is different LEDs out on each brake light....Any help would be appreciated. I have reached out to EvoTech for more help, but thought I would check in here as well (lots of smart people). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it's different LEDs that are out with the two brake lights I would imagine it's an issue with the light itself, nothing to do with your bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just traced down the functions of the 3 wires to the brake light...they are 12v power, ground, and signal for brakes on/off (controlling brightness). I guess that makes sense now that I think about it.

So I can't see how an issue in the wiring would only provide power to some LEDs and not the others. I'm convinced now it's the brake light. You have also confirmed (for the moment) that I have not lost my mind.

Hopefully another coming from EvoTech. At least they were very fast. I think 4 days from warranty claim to receiving the part (UK to California).

·
Registered
71 Posts
So I can't see how an issue in the wiring would only provide power to some LEDs and not the others. I'm convinced now it's the brake light. You have also confirmed (for the moment) that I have not lost my mind.
Exactly what I'm thinking, it's either all LEDs or no LEDs.
I have one of these waiting to fit when my bike arrives, will let you know if I have a similar issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly what I'm thinking, it's either all LEDs or no LEDs.
I have one of these waiting to fit when my bike arrives, will let you know if I have a similar issue.
Appreciate any updates. For what it's worth, the machined bits of the EvoTech kit are top notch. I've used EvoTech Tail Tidy kits on a couple of my other bikes (Daytona 675, Monster 696, Multistrada 1200) and they were great.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Same issue I had over a year ago with my brand new Evo tail light. Got a warranty replacement and it's been perfect.
thumbnail.jpg

·
Registered
138 Posts
Its a bad light unit (again) wiring is shown below and this is e defective light as long as you do no have some kind of weird battery issue going on and low voltage to the digital board.

Brown - Ground
Green/White - Brake light
Yellow/White - Tail light.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Good to hear your kit is a good one. I'm jealous you get the LED signals! Let us know if you have any issues with them getting a little toasty.

Update on my issue...The first time I contacted EvoTech, they got back right away. Still waiting for any response on my second email regarding the defective replacement brake light.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you're looking for nice indicator replacements, I have 2 suggestions...
Rizoma have been making the best indicators for years, I don't think there's any question about that. They are however EXORBITANTLY expensive.
Spirit Beast on Ali Express makes phenomenal indicators for the price. I bought a set of these for my partner's MT-07 US $13.24 11% OFF|SPIRIT BEAST Running Turn Signal Lights Flashers Directional Led Motorcycle for Yamaha Fz16 KAWASAKI Z1000SX Honda Cb650f Cb500x| | - AliExpress

I'm super impressed with them. Really good LEDs, super bright, great build quality. You will need to get adapters for the KTM wiring, plus you'll need to get plugs so they can fit in the oval shaped spot the stock indicators mount too, but well worth if it you don't want to spend Rizoma money. He has several styles on his store and I'm sure they are all of the same quality. Have bought several sets of ebay indicators in the past and they've been garbage. Crappy LEDs, fill up with water in the rain, flimsy build quality. The Spirit Beast ones are as close to Rizoma or stock indicators that you'll find.

·
Registered
344 Posts
faulty leds in light, it has to be a bad batch of less used in a batch of light units when made
LEDs are remarkably reliable in and of themselves - literally billions of them are made each year.

My bet would be on poor assembly: either broken traces, bad solder joints or even reversed LED installation of the ones that don't light up.

You could check for reversed installation of the LEDs on the board by applying power to the unit both ways i.e. swap power with ground. Do this off the bike using a battery - if they are reversed then the on/off LEDs will switch places.

Either way it also shows non-existent quality control on the final product.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Got home from a short rode yesterday, half my LEDs are gone.... I gave the tail light the old knock (old tv style) and one came back, but was still missing 4 LEDs from the top row.
Seems like even if they're working when the product arrives it does not guarantee long life.
Have sent a message to the website I purchased it through to look for a replacement.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Got home from a short rode yesterday, half my LEDs are gone.... I gave the tail light the old knock (old tv style) and one came back, but was still missing 4 LEDs from the top row.
Seems like even if they're working when the product arrives it does not guarantee long life.
Have sent a message to the website I purchased it through to look for a replacement.
Seems like there are definitely bad joints / connections in a few of these.

I'd do the same to approach the vendor in the first instance.

Myself I'd actually take the thing apart and find where the problem connections are with a multimeter in continuity mode (so it beeps when there's a connection). It can only be that the 12V or ground isn't getting to one side of the problematic LEDs.

Follow the traces from where the cable comes in, beep your way along until you get to the LEDs themselves - they are just disconnected some.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got around to putting some miles on with the 2nd replacement tail light from evotech. No issues so far. Fingers crossed this one holds up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another update...the third taillight now has 3 bad LEDs. Interestingly, they will sometimes flicker then illuminate the first time I apply the brakes and the brightness of all the other LEDs increases. I managed to get it on video - and contacted EvoTech hoping to share it with them. Same response as the last two times - a new taillight is in the mail.

Good on EvoTech for reach shipping from the UK to USA, but this must be costing them a fortune. I can't believe that quality is this bad. I even checked my battery to be sure 12.8-13.0 resting voltage.

Hopefully #4 does the trick, but I'm a little skeptical at this point...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts