KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

IOM TT 2021 on the Duke 790

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  crashtestkatie 
#1 ·
So, the title says is all!

Me and the blue Duke will be staying for a grand total of 16 nights with only a Kriega US20 for luggage, a tent and a sleeping bag being posted to the campsite in advance

Who else is booked?
Will you be riding the Duke?
Where will you be staying?

I went last year for the first time, taking my GSXR 750 which was great fun and I've now booked for next year on the Duke, I can't wait to take it over the mountain
:devilish:

#3 ·
It was amazing last year, even with the non stop torrential rain and race cancellations! Thoroughly enjoyed it, so booked again but for a week longer:LOL:

Reactions: Stewart
#4 ·
@crashtestkatie - what can you do there when the races aren't on - is the IOM large enough during that event to have things planned for tourists and cool events set up other than the obvious - sitting at a Pub showing the business end to a few Pints?

At what times can you ride the course - I'm guessing not during the event (evenings, not while the races are happening :) ) but leading up or after obviously?

Any pics from last year to share?

#5 ·
We went for just under two weeks last year and found plenty to entertain ourselves with museums (motorcycle and island history), food, bowling and cinema, there was an amusement park, sweet shops, red arrows displays and firework displays. The beach was lovely with separate unrelated events on regularly.

I live in a town that's smaller than the IOM so I'm quite used to finding something to do when there isn't much but it has plenty to offer, whether you're into racing or not, it's an amazing holiday and opportunity to spend time with people with similar interests.

We camped, the facilities were great, and at around £10 per night it was great value for money, food, showers, toilets, bar and club house available at all hours

I don't drink, but the night life is great either way, bars, pubs and clubs for all.

The locals were extremely welcoming with people inviting you into their homes and gardens to watch the races, even offering you food and drinks and a chat, everyone there felt like an old friend

The atmosphere is amazing and there are loads of bargains and deals to be had that are bike related, with their being stalls in the paddocks and pop up shops galore

No pics to hand, however I have loads on my website as I made a point of blogging the entire trip, link below if you fancy a nose :)

Reactions: Rick and Mayhem
#9 ·
Wow, well done indeed!

• So is McDonald's sponsoring IOM '21?
  • Your spirit is unbreakable for dealing with all that fog and rain - especially on the way home - no thanks. :(
  • Did you get to rub any speed off of Hicky?
  • Museum pics looked awesome, I could kill some serious time in there.
Thanks for sharing!
I'm hoping for McDonalds pancakes upon arrival!
I'm not scared of the rain and fog, but the tiredness was an absolute killer!
I got a hug off Hicky, but don't think it made me faster :(
I'm 100% planning to go to the museum again, I spent half a day there but feel like I missed so much!

Reactions: YoungLion
#11 ·
But you missed a great wonder - take a look in 2021. The Laxey Wheel.

From W-pedia

The Laxey Wheel (also known as Lady Isabella) is built into the hillside above the village of Laxey in the Isle of Man. It is the largest working waterwheel in the world.[1] Designed by Robert Casement, the wheel has a 72-foot-6-inch (22.1 m) diameter, is 6 feet (1.8 m) wide and revolves at approximately three revolutions per minute.

I hate fog - it really tires you out - I tense up even in the car.

#13 ·
I was meant to go to the TT in 89 on my brand new FZR600 Genesis but I crashed it! Then life got in the way......... It’s on the bucket list now! :love:

I hate fog - it really tires you out - I tense up even in the car.
Fog can be a real challenge and when it’s particularly thick I find using the Sat Nav invaluable - you can actually see the corners coming up much better!
Lot of pissed off People this year not getting refunds for paid hotels.
That’s not fair! Surely they should at least get a credit for use next year?

So Katie, where is the campsite you stay at? And do you get any sleep at night there?!
I’m seriously considering the TT for next year but not sure about those McDo Pancakes....:whistle:

#15 ·
So, the title says is all!

Me and the blue Duke will be staying for a grand total of 16 nights with only a Kriega US20 for luggage, a tent and a sleeping bag being posted to the campsite in advance

Who else is booked?
Will you be riding the Duke?
Where will you be staying?

I went last year for the first time, taking my GSXR 750 which was great fun and I've now booked for next year on the Duke, I can't wait to take it over the mountain
:devilish:
Hi,

gutted not going this year with the lads.About 15 of us and only one of us on a real bike (me on my 660 smc) 😊😊
However, all booked up again for next year and will be on the 790. Should be a blast. Not 200% where we stay as it was my first year due to me generally following MotoGP.
Well, you never know might bump into you! We go practice week
Juice

#18 ·
Nice!

I'll be there with 3 other idiots, my Duke is pretty easy to notice and I'll be keeping my eye out for other 790D's :D

Reactions: Stewart and 648
#21 ·
I'm so jealous! That's like a dream come true to me! You'll have to show me how it's done on the mountain then, I bet I wouldn't come close to you up there!:LOL:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.