KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
This isn't going to help you much but I was there in 1969, which is an age giveaway :grin: .The atmosphere was sensational and the racing fantastic - nothing like it anywhere else. We were there for 2 weeks and my mates and I would ride the circuit at dawn when there were very few people about.

The trip was made even more memorable by meeting a Scottish lass called Anne :smile:. The attached photo shows me (aged 22) and Anne at a bridge not far from the start line. In case you think we were wearing politically incorrect riding gear, it was just a gentle parade round town seeing the sights! The bike was my 1955 Tiger 100. Happy memories!

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yup, was there the last year Dave Jefferies was the dominant force. Sitting at the bottom of Bray Hill eating burgers with Robert Dunlop who had rented a house round the corner. Epic adventure and stay with me forever.
Sadly in some ways the TT/Roads have lost their appeal since a mate of mine was killed at Macau a couple of years ago now, Dan Hegarty.

Luckily though, we can do it cheaply as being from Liverpool we have family over on the Island, so the accomodation is free for us. I'm tempted to take my son next year for a weekend.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well it's like boxing - we know the dangers. They are big on training these days, have been over there three times this year taken around 4 laps by ex TT winners. They make sure you know which way it's going.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have yet to get to the IOM. This year my wife wanted to visit the Chelsea Flower Show. Seeing that the date was close to the Northwest200, I agreed - I would accompany her to the Flower Show, she with me to the NW200. Flew the 12,000 miles to UK, then to Ireland. Stayed in Ballymoney not far from the circuit, and could feel the atmosphere for this event. Thursday evening was great with fine weather and fast racing. Saturday was awful - wait, wait, wait, and then shortened races in slippery conditions. I love real road racing and will do the IOM one day.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well I went and came back in one piece. Seeded 74 out of 75 riders as there was 5 newcomers or old timers in my case. Qualified 33rd and finished 25th and got special newcomer award from Phil McCallen. I am rather happy with my handiwork. It's fast even on a little 350 I was averaging 99mph at Ramsey but mountain knocks 10mph off. Will decide on next year but I'm sure I would get a replica...:smile:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well I went and came back in one piece. Seeded 74 out of 75 riders as there was 5 newcomers or old timers in my case. Qualified 33rd and finished 25th and got special newcomer award from Phil McCallen. I am rather happy with my handiwork. It's fast even on a little 350 I was averaging 99mph at Ramsey but mountain knocks 10mph off. Will decide on next year but I'm sue I would get a replica...:smile:
Good work Fred I’ve been over a few times TT, Manx and a few visits just because.
It was as a kid purely by chance the southern 100 was on when we went there on holiday that got me hooked.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes I rode at the southern 100 circuit 2017 and 2018 - it's scary, a kind of short circuit with walks and railings. TT is much more flowing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts