KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only on left turn signal. Sometimes it activates, Sometimes not. I must stare at the dash to see if the signal is flashing or not. It's been to the dealer several times and they replaced the switch and the dash, but somehow they can't replicate. Happens 7 -15 times per ride, EVERY RIDE even after the swaps. Last week, my buddy almost clobbered me from behind when he never saw my left blinker come on. Dangerous defect!

Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Only on left turn signal. Sometimes it activates, Sometimes not. I must stare at the dash to see if the signal is flashing or not. It's been to the dealer several times and they replaced the switch and the dash, but somehow they can't replicate. Happens 7 -15 times per ride, EVERY RIDE even after the swaps. Last week, my buddy almost clobbered me from behind when he never saw my left blinker come on. Dangerous defect!

Anyone else experiencing this?
Noticing the same thing lately too.. reporting to the dealer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How often does it happen and how long have you had the bike? What part of Canada you in?

Mine has done it from new and although the dealer has tried to remedy it, they have been unsuccessful. Took it up with KTM directly as the bike is still under warranty. Love riding the bike, but this is a dangerous condition.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Happens occasionally, it goes on and then when i look, it is off. Somethings up with it. I am in Ontario, took delivery July. I typically hand signal and not rely on the signals. Hopefully yours gets sorted out.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Mine has done it from new and although the dealer has tried to remedy it, they have been unsuccessful.
ime - it's hard to remedy a fault you cannot isolate. But a quick look at the wiring diagram from KTM and a simple TESTING bypass seems very possible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ime - it's hard to remedy a fault you cannot isolate. But a quick look at the wiring diagram from KTM and a simple TESTING bypass seems very possible.
I had KTM look at the bike twice and they claim to not be able to duplicate it despite two 50 mile + rides. Happens 8 - 10 times inside of 50 miles for me - every ride! They have repeatedly told me they won't do anything about it if they can't repeat the issue. They plugged in some diagnostics that they said showed nothing was wrong. Very frustrating - and dangerous in crowded Southern California - Distracted Driving Capital of North America. Have you had any more incidences of it happening?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Happens occasionally, it goes on and then when i look, it is off. Somethings up with it. I am in Ontario, took delivery July. I typically hand signal and not rely on the signals. Hopefully yours gets sorted out.

I had KTM look at the bike twice and they claim to not be able to duplicate it despite two 50 mile + rides. Happens 8 - 10 times inside of 50 miles for me - every ride! They have repeatedly told me they won't do anything about it if they can't repeat the issue. They plugged in some diagnostics that they said showed nothing was wrong. Very frustrating - and dangerous in crowded Southern California - Distracted Driving Capital of North America. Have you had any more incidences of it happening

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Have you had any more incidences of it happening
I can't say I have ever noticed it on mine. Similar sorts of things on other bikes have ALWAYS been a poor contact somewhere and those can be buggers to trace.

If it happens that often. Fit a camera and ride to record it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine's a KTM Adv 790R and I'm in NZ. I'm experiencing the same issue, also with just the left turn signal. Like Katoomboombob I had a warranty switch replacement and the problem persists. I did a quick mental tally on a ride yesterday and used the left turn about 30 times. 10 times it worked OK, 10 times it flashed once and 10 times it did nothing. I have even taken to applying the switch firmly and deliberately slowly just to remove the human element, made no difference. Now it's getting worse, I think I'll open up the switch and do some in-depth investigation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your response 4Skins!

KTM North America is trying to downplay the whole thing by claiming that it has never been able to repeat it, so won't do you anything about it, even though the bike is still under warranty. Somehow or other it, happens at least 10 times every time I ride it! The dealer says they replaced the switch under warranty, but it did not solve the problem and the switch felt like the exact same notchy switch when I got it back! Crap outsourcing?

I suspect a fault in the CanBus circuitry, or that the switch never was actually replaced..

This is a dangerous defect as roads here are filled with inattentive people, and I can't afford to be constantly taking my eyes off the road to see if it's actually on or not!

Dreaming of a ride in New Zealand! Aside from the beautiful scenery, I've heard the main road hazard you have to contend there with is errant sheep!

·
Registered
204 Posts
With the switch gear on my 1090, there was a way to press the turn signal switch over and down at an angle that would cause a fault.
When I was just sitting on the bike or standing next to it, trying to replicate the fault, I never could because I was 'properly' engaging the swtich. Maybe something similar is happening in your case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
With the switch gear on my 1090, there was a way to press the turn signal switch over and down at an angle that would cause a fault.
When I was just sitting on the bike or standing next to it, trying to replicate the fault, I never could because I was 'properly' engaging the swtich. Maybe something similar is happening in your case.
The problem is a systematic fault in the switch. It a design failure KTM have ignored. On turning Left a slight pressure in disengages the turn signal before activation. Press slightly in as you go to the left with disengage it. Humans on pulling the switch to the left naturally put some pressure on it. But to the right it’s hard to do

·
Registered
4 Posts
The problem is a systematic fault in the switch. It a design failure KTM have ignored. On turning Left a slight pressure in disengages the turn signal before activation. Press slightly in as you go to the left with disengage it. Humans on pulling the switch to the left naturally put some pressure on it. But to the right it’s hard to do
Yes the switch has a design fault and not suitable for normal humans.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes the switch has a design fault and not suitable for normal humans.
If KTM persists in disavowing the problem, I will report the issue to the NHTSA, demand a recall on the affected machines, and file a lemon law claim on the bike. It's simply too much of a hazard in busy Southern California. It frequently happens three and four times in succession when trying to merge in busy traffic, or when slowing for a turn. KTM has an opportunity to do a voluntary recall, but has persistently denied the issue. This will end up being like the famous AUDI unintended acceleration case in the early eighties. This will be very costly for them, both in actual dollars spent as well as reputation. It's a shame really, as this is my third KTM street bike and dynamically at least, they are wonderful bikes to ride. But not so wonderful that I get run over because the signal won't activate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I my problem was on a 2015 Super Adventure and it remains today. KTM have ignored my contacts over years. I was behind a new 2021 super duke yesterday. The Left turn signal was intermittent. The problem is in its design and must be fixed. I stopped the rider and showed him the fault. Sad news on a brand new bike!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a look at your bikes and the press pull design fault is obvious.
It’s dangerous and must be fixed. Please let KTM know. My ranting in 2015 fell on deaf ears.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, DocJ. I have and will not let this go. I will be writing a very comprehensive letter and will be CCing John Hines who is the CEO of KTM North America. It would be much less expensive for them to own up to the problem and satisfy those customers affected rather than try to sweep it under the rug. I suggest you do the same. The squeaky wheels get greased.

[email protected] - Customer Service Liaison
[email protected] - Customer Service Manager
[email protected] - CEO

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you press turn signal switch to left and release it allowing spring to do its work freely, turn signal will turn off but if you release it slowly to center position turn signals will stay on.

All bikes that I have tested with same switchgear seems to have this same thing.

Turn signals on right, your thumb is usually obstructing so that you cannot release it the same way as on left so it does not happen often.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you press turn signal switch to left and release it allowing spring to do its work freely, turn signal will turn off but if you release it slowly to center position turn signals will stay on.

All bikes that I have tested with same switchgear seems to have this same thing.

Turn signals on right, your thumb is usually obstructing so that you cannot release it the same way as on left so it does not happen often.
Interesting, Ronda. So just releasing as opposed to guiding it back with your thumb causes the problem?

So have you experienced this same issue? Would you consider that to be a design defect?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting, Ronda. So just releasing as opposed to guiding it back with your thumb causes the problem?

So have you experienced this same issue? Would you consider that to be a design defect?
Yes I have 3 weeks old 890 adventure R and I have the same issue.
Just yesterday I was at 1000 km maintenance and all of those new (0 km odo) ktm bikes with the same switchgear I tested there had the same issue.
Definitelly a design flaw.

It actually does not even need to have power on on a bike to test this.
You will notice that if you let the spring do the the retraction by itself to center and then if you press the the button it feels the same as it feels when you have not activated the turn signals at all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts