KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn’t find anything on the forum or in the manuals. I want to replace the stock MCS lever with the KTM PP folding lever. The pin comes out easily to remove the lever, but the wheel adjuster and related parts are still attached with no obvious way to remove them. I checked behind the small round dust seal and it’s just the back of the 19-21 wheel, nothing to unscrew from that end.

Any suggestions?
Crankset Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Automotive lighting

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just an idea/guess. I have checked the parts manual on their website and found that probably there is a setscrew/pin holding the cylindric bushing in palce. It is not visible clearly on the picture unfortunately and I can't check it on my bike at the moment. It is also not clear, how to remove it. I am curious now. :)
Schematic Font Parallel Auto part Diagram

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also just got a set of brake / clutch PP levers for Christmas, waiting to get these installed . I did see a YouTube video with some instructions on install , but very basic information.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen the vidoes for the normal Brembo levers, but none where they account for the unique MCS adjustment mechanism.

The clutch lever is a single pin swap - pull the circlip on the bottom of the pivot pin, pop the pin out, and replace with the new kit. Make sure you don't throw away the new circlip and pin - I almost did as it's shrink wrapped separately from the lever and I didn't see it at first.

They look and feel great!

@PeterK thanks for that schematic. Now I'm wondering if it's not just as simple as pressing that spacer out (just to the right of your red arrow) - I think it's press fit to hold the MCS mechanism inside the lever. Maybe that spring you pointed at also has to come out to relieve tension, but I'll try the spacer first.

·
Registered
2021 Duke 890 R
28 Posts
@falkdal once you do mange to get it installed, I'd be very interested to know if the powerparts levers have more adjustability than the stock ones, please. I have small hands, and would like to be able to adjust the levers closer to the bar than the stock ones go... this might be a solution

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I was right, that sleeve needs to be pushed out in order to remove the MCS mechanism. Now how to do that is an altogether different story. It's in there HARD, there's no way to get it out by hand. I need some kind of vice to press it out with force, and then it needs to be pressed into the new lever. I may need to run by my local motorcycle shop and see if they have a tool for this...

Anyways here are the instructions (see attached).

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've seen the vidoes for the normal Brembo levers, but none where they account for the unique MCS adjustment mechanism.

The clutch lever is a single pin swap - pull the circlip on the bottom of the pivot pin, pop the pin out, and replace with the new kit. Make sure you don't throw away the new circlip and pin - I almost did as it's shrink wrapped separately from the lever and I didn't see it at first.

@PeterK thanks for that schematic. Now I'm wondering if it's not just as simple as pressing that spacer out (just to the right of your red arrow) - I think it's press fit to hold the MCS mechanism inside the lever. Maybe that spring you pointed at also has to come out to relieve tension, but I'll try the spacer first.
Yes I was wrong, the part my arrow points at is probably the spring (not a screw) mentioned in the instructions. I also tried to download the instructions from ktm.com yesterday , but I could not find it there.

·
Registered
187 Posts
A bench vice and socket should do the trick. And I'm sure that Motion Pro makes something nifty as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes a vise + 8mm socket worked. I’m swapping tires now so once rims are mounted and calipers back on I will install the lever.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To close the loop on this, a regular vise worked great for pushing the sleeve out. Two small wood blocks on either side of the sleeve to give it space to exit and an 8mm socket to push it out. It’s a two person job to make it easier to hold everything lined up while squeezing it out.

Getting the MCS mechanism in was tough as that spring is super stiff and the mating holes are at an angle to one another. The best option was to slide the MCS piece in, fit the spring into the hole in the MCS piece, and then use needle nose pliers to bend it into the hole in the lever. Lots of cursing helps.

Getting the sleeve in the new lever was even tougher, I couldn’t get it flush with the vise. I tried installing it mostly flush and the lever was binding badly. The solution was my Motion Pro chain breaker tool. The anvil head is just the right side and I just wrapped the lever in a shop towel and used a 21mm socket on the breaker tool to squeeze the sleeve in perfectly flat. Now the brake operates perfectly, so getting that sleeve in all the way is crucial as the tolerances are very small.

@LA_Stu , unfortunately the PP is even further out on the smallest setting, see photos. It’s about 5mm further from the bar, so it’s not going to help you.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
I couldn’t find anything on the forum or in the manuals. I want to replace the stock MCS lever with the KTM PP folding lever. The pin comes out easily to remove the lever, but the wheel adjuster and related parts are still attached with no obvious way to remove them. I checked behind the small round dust seal and it’s just the back of the 19-21 wheel, nothing to unscrew from that end.

Any suggestions?
I played around with a few types of aftermarket levers when I just got the bike. Even though they looked better, none felt as good as the OEM, from the free play, position and feel perspectives.

When moving to the brembo M/C, I left the lever as is. It just works very well.

I know that this is not what you are asking. Just saying.

Reactions: Lonster
1 - 11 of 11 Posts