KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
VIP member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With 20 days left until my departure for WSBK at Laguna Seca, I couldn’t wait any longer. Last night, I took off the Akrapovic slip-on and remounted the stock muffler. The saddlebag mounting brackets took a little finagling. Get all four mounting bolts threaded but not far. Then torque the cross-member’s bolts before torquing down the rest of the bracket.

The right bag is pretty small because of the heat shield required by the high pipe, but a major oversight is KTM’s choice to make the retaining clips plastic. WTF? Since I’m a chronic overpacker, this is of real concern. KTM says no more than 11 lbs (5 kg) per bag. That’s not much, but the 790 was never meant to be a touring bike.

We’ll see how they work on my trip, and then I’ll review them on Motorcycle.com.

PS - I just noticed that I put the tank bag on backwards!

Attachments

·
155 Posts
Just curious about whether you had any difficulty attaching the bags to the mounts. I've had a devil of a time sliding the bags onto the mushroom mounts on the bottom. They don't want to seat and allow the upper clips to attach.

·
VIP member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it took a little wiggling on one side to get them in the correct position so that both latches click.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks Nice! I wish you a lot of trouble-free miles and adventures with these bags.

Unfortunate they are not compatible with Akra :( ...otherwise I would also buy them. There is no other option for good quality saddlebag for our motorcycle. At least I have not found yet.

And YES... The Duke 790 it is not intended for touring, but that's also a lot of marketing talks. Once you can install bags, bars, headlights, and so on then every motorcycle might be suitable for touring. :D

Тhis Sunday I made 500km only with a break to refuel. The motorcycle is extremely comfortable. I use the PP Fly Screen and Ergo seat and I am very pleased. But every person is different.

For those who are interested ... in Bulgaria the road speed limit is 90 km/h and on the highway 120-140 km/h. The fuel consumption was 4.5 litres per 100km (Fuel type: 100 Octane Racing/Premium Gasoline).

Cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just ran across your post and photos of the bags on the bike. First time I've seen one with bags. Just curious how they are working out as I'm thinking seriously about getting a set myself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
They worked great. I carried my clothes in the PP saddlebags and my camera gear in a tail bag. On top of that, I cargo netted an extra jacket with mixed results. (See the careful packing thread for the photo.)
Loving your coverage of the 790! Would a full-face helmet fit inside the larger of the two bags? Also, is there any means for locking them other than using a separate zipper lock?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts