KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not a fan of the stock rock hard grips so I purchased my favorite grips. Pro grip 719 RVGS gel grips that provide some cushion for the hands.

Finally got around to installing them today. The left side is strait forward and easy but the throttle side requires some engineering.

The throttle tube/grip is quite a bit different than most bikes. There is a hard plastic flair that is covered by the grip material, on the inside end.

To make the replacement grip work I had to trim and remove the rubber covering off the throttle tube right up next to the flair. Then trim the flair end off the replacement grip.

After scraping off the rubber I had to grind down the raised ribbed areas on the throttle tube to make it smooth. Then used compressed air to help with the install.

Took about an hours start to finish and am very pleased with the result.

Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle
Human Calipers Measuring instrument Wire Synthetic rubber
Human Finger Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Technology Carbon Camera accessory Cameras & optics Engineering
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle
Bicycle accessory Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Carbon Grey
Bicycle accessory Bicycle handlebar Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle Bicycle part

Registered
So much easier with a lathe! :p - Triumph throttle tubes (on 2009 R3's anyway) also have those damn ribs. Though the rubber is not STUCK to the plastic.

Registered
You did well to able to re-use the throttle tube. I tried to fit aftermarket heated grips and after an hour sanding the tube free of the ribs the bloody thing was so thin the tube cracked and collapsed once I tried pushing the new grip on.
Had to return the aftermarket grips and buy the KTM ones. To be fair they are a lot neater but also twice the price!

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You did well to able to re-use the throttle tube. I tried to fit aftermarket heated grips and after an hour sanding the tube free of the ribs the bloody thing was so thin the tube cracked and collapsed once I tried pushing the new grip on.
Had to return the aftermarket grips and buy the KTM ones. To be fair they are a lot neater but also twice the price!
They say necessity is the mother of invention.

I must say this install required more thought and effort than any before.

Had to hold my mouth just right several times during the process, but the result is well worth the effort.

Registered
Hawkerjet, did you use typical street gripvset where throttle grip i.d. is 7/8" and left grip i.d. is 3/4". Leftvoem has tube as well so curious if you just stretched left smaller i.d. grip over left side tube or fid you buy another set and use technically 2 throttle side grips since there are tubes on both sides.
Not a fan of the stock rock hard grips so I purchased my favorite grips. Pro grip 719 RVGS gel grips that provide some cushion for the hands.

Finally got around to installing them today. The left side is strait forward and easy but the throttle side requires some engineering.

The throttle tube/grip is quite a bit different than most bikes. There is a hard plastic flair that is covered by the grip material, on the inside end.

To make the replacement grip work I had to trim and remove the rubber covering off the throttle tube right up next to the flair. Then trim the flair end off the replacement grip.

After scraping off the rubber I had to grind down the raised ribbed areas on the throttle tube to make it smooth. Then used compressed air to help with the install.

Took about an hours start to finish and am very pleased with the result.

View attachment 5944 View attachment 5945 View attachment 5946 View attachment 5947 View attachment 5948 View attachment 5949 View attachment 5950

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hawkerjet, did you use typical street gripvset where throttle grip i.d. is 7/8" and left grip i.d. is 3/4". Leftvoem has tube as well so curious if you just stretched left smaller i.d. grip over left side tube or fid you buy another set and use technically 2 throttle side grips since there are tubes on both sides.
Yes the grips are as you described, with the left side being the smaller one.

On the left side I eliminated the plastic tube altogether. I mounted the grip directly on the handlebar making it the no-brainer easy part of the install. Right side was a lot more work but the result is well worth the effort.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used the "original grip puppy" comfort grips.
I have used grip puppy's on a couple of bikes. They are nice and soft but are too big for my small hands.

The extra diameter causes my arthritic thumb joints to ache in fairly short order.

Sucks getting old.

Registered
790 Duke 2020
That's interesting. I run with Grip Puppies because I thought, perhaps wrongly, that the fatter bar would help to leave my hand more open and relaxed, thus reducing the strain on my arthritic thumb. But my thumbs still ache! Maybe I should cut the Puppies off and try Pro grip 719 RVGS gel grips. :unsure: Thanks for the write-up.

Registered
790 Duke 2020
In all my motorcycle days going back to when Noah stepped off the boat...well almost, I have never seen those grips before and never heard of them. Is the name kinda like Hooray?
Wow! Thanks for reminding me of OURY grips. I had them on my Commando and I鈥檝e got a spare unused brand new pair sitting in my garage! Result!
ProGrip 719 would cost me about 拢35 in UK, after postage and customs duty.
Hooray!

Registered
Hawkerjet. Yea I have same grips on old cbf 750 and even set on an ATV. Fantastic grips. They started in late 60's so definitely not a new company.

Registered
The best grips I have used to date are AVON. excellent at killing off the tingles. I think it would be a MAJOR operation to get them onto a 790D though,
I have Grip Puppies on the 790D simply because it's easy to do (and I had a set in a drawer) and I did find the oem grips a wee bit small. But with puppies they are a wee bit big.

Anybody got a 3D printer? - would then be easy to make a universal tube for the KTM. That or maybe (I will find out) I can get one made out of IGUS bearing grade plastic. I have done this on the R3 and the difference is simply stunning. The 790 is good anyway - but why not make it better?!

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Or wonder if these will fit? G2 Street "Stock Ratio" Throttle Tube - KTM

It does fit the 790ADV from all accounts!.
If you remove the throttle tube you have to do an initialization on the bike after re-installing it.

I wanted to remove the throttle tube to do my grip install but did not when I discovered you had to re-initialize the bike.

The two edged sword of technology.

Registered
If you remove the throttle tube you have to do an initialization on the bike after re-installing it.

I wanted to remove the throttle tube to do my grip install but did not when I discovered you had to re-initialize the bike.

The two edged sword of technology.
Did not on my 790 and 1290. Removed to install throttle spacers and no issues

Registered
Started the removal process, so far seems best method for me is razor cut on each end around circumference and then horizontal razor cut and start peeling it off over the ribs. I bought a set of oem tubes cheap off ebay to experiment with. I have already had throttle side off couple times to install throttle spacers and no reset required

Registered
Grip off and mostly cleaned. Used single edge razor and small screw driver to cut and peel off. Then scrap and clean. I am cutting ribs down in hieght about halfway as you see on center rib screw driver pointing to. Now to cut rest of ribs and maybe ring on outer edge then trim new grip and get some grip glue for install. Kudos to hawerjet for posting and motivation for me to do this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts