KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 KTM 790 Duke
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Works well, easy to use so far... Not a true cruise control of course, but good enough for me.

Blends in well. Uses factory internal weight & bolt.

·
Registered
2020 KTM 790 Duke
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... as others have noted it's a bit on the pricey side, but all metal, nicely crafted, and an elegant solution imo.

I had trouble finding the right one in stock, but found it in stock at Welcome to R&G | Setting the standard in bolt-on motorcycle accessories and Crash Protectors (I have no affiliation with them). Shipping was very reasonable to Canada and it arrived within a week of ordering - which to me is very good for UK to Canada post.

Total cost to me was approx USD$130.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I finally gave up on waiting for KTM to bring cruise control to the 790. I used a Throttlemeister on several previous bikes, but the Kaoko was available from a Canadian outlet (Twisted Throttle) so to avoid the complications of shipping from the US in the COVID era I gave it a try. It works just about as well. I find the thicker knob is slightly more awkward to turn without moving the throttle.

·
Registered
2020 KTM 790 Duke
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes... I checked twistedthrottle Canada initially but they were out of stock at the time - but in the end I actually saved about cdn$20 by ordering from where I did.

Re twisting the knob, from what I understand re the instructions the intent is, once the knob position is properly adjusted, to grip both the throttle and knob together and roll on the throttle (with the knob turning) to engage the friction lock. Similarly roll throttle+knob back to disengage.

Although I do admit I am still working on getting the hang of doing a smooth roll on/off lock/unlock action and I sometimes end up having to manually snug up the dial a bit more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
+1 for Kaoko!! I've had one on my Tiger 800 for the last 4 years and it's great for fixing engine revs while I stretch out my right hand. Obviously not a 'proper' cruise control but well designed and engineered.
I'm kinda hoping I can get mine to fit the Duke when I pick it up....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re twisting the knob, from what I understand re the instructions the intent is, once the knob position is properly adjusted, to grip both the throttle and knob together and roll on the throttle (with the knob turning) to engage the friction lock. Similarly roll throttle+knob back to disengage.

Although I do admit I am still working on getting the hang of doing a smooth roll on/off lock/unlock action and I sometimes end up having to manually snug up the dial a bit more.
I prefer to disengage it completely for urban and twisty riding. Once on a highway I seldom find that I need the same amount of throttle and lock rotation so that usually leaves me adjusting the friction level while keeping the throttle steady. I minimize flddling with it by establishing highway speed first, then rolling on the lock without moving the throttle. Takes a bit of practice, but once mastered it's easy to do without thinking about it.

·
Registered
2020 KTM 790 Duke
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I prefer to disengage it completely for urban and twisty riding. Once on a highway I seldom find that I need the same amount of throttle and lock rotation so that usually leaves me adjusting the friction level while keeping the throttle steady. I minimize flddling with it by establishing highway speed first, then rolling on the lock without moving the throttle. Takes a bit of practice, but once mastered it's easy to do without thinking about it.
Good tips, thanks. I will experiment with that approach too.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Duke 790
245 Posts
I have one also. It's a great addition to a bike. I had one on my old 990 SMT too. Perfect for long highway slogs and you need to shake out that right hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.