KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stainless decat from China, $35 shipped.

I have no “tune” on it at the moment. I did mod my air box to allow for a little more air to come in. I used a universal sheet of oiled UNI filter on the inside of the air box cover.

I may put a PCV with the Rottweiler map if it feels rough. I’ve put 50 miles on it since the swap and other then some low speed (under 30mph) lean pops it seems to be about the same. Will know more when I take it to the track soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be careful with that exhaust pipe; since there's no heat shield you could melt your boot.
Thanks, I have black exhaust wrap I’m going to put on to limit the heat around the shock. As for my boot heal I haven’t made contact with it yet but mine as well wrap it up to the muffler while I’m at it.

Gotta say, hated the stock muffler purely because it interferes with my race boots for proper footing.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
540 Posts
De-cat loses weight but also robs power on the 790's and 890's without a piggyback like a Coober, PCV, etc...

Akra with a decat is 1.1hp down on the oem and from what Rottweiler was saying, decat with no adjustments is DANGEROUS - no thanks.

I put on the same pipe, but zero chance I'd remove the Cat as well without help to fix the AF ratio and make sure the closed loop and O2 sensor shenanigans were on point.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the same pipe, great sound with the DB killer out and not that loud. And BIG value for the price 150 bucks all in delivered, quality is dam good for that price.

·
Registered
39 Posts
De-cat loses weight but also robs power on the 790's and 890's without a piggyback like a Coober, PCV, etc...

Akra with a decat is 1.1hp down on the oem and from what Rottweiler was saying, decat with no adjustments is DANGEROUS - no thanks.

I put on the same pipe, but zero chance I'd remove the Cat as well without help to fix the AF ratio and make sure the closed loop and O2 sensor shenanigans were on point.
Coober claimed the decat was dangerous, however Rottweiler said it was just fine.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
540 Posts
That video is for the 790 ADV which has different internals I believe and a different map so I'd love to see them do the same comparo for 790 and 890R Duke BUT - that at least reassures me that it's safe to do it and it's only lean from 3000-5000rpm and not dangerously so.

Power gains as well right up until the last 2000rpm which is fine by me - I never ride in the last 2000rpm so I'd much prefer more power from 3500-8500rpm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coober claimed the decat was dangerous, however Rottweiler said it was just fine.

Great find, backs up my understanding of what’s going on as well. Everyone has their own unique experiences that informs their opinions and I’m grateful to have the ability to listen to others that may know more then me.

Ive been a professional powersports technician for 16 years now. Factory trained from Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, Indian, Suzuki, Victory, Polaris, and Slingshot. I’ve owned my own motorcycle shop for 7 years and worked at a high volume KTM dealer for 3 years. That being said I still learn new things about bikes from other people all the time, always open to new ideas :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts