KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an Innov K3 over the weekend. It was a completely painless experience, didn't have to cut the bike and aside from 2 washers didn't require any external parts.

Picture A was mounting on the brake fluid distribution block.
Picture B is using 2 washers to clear the tail's recessed bolt and using the provided bracket.
Picture C is stuffing the device and it's extra cable length into the crevice between the airbox and the battery.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Engineering Automotive wheel system
Gas Electrical wiring Cable Adapter Wire

Camera quality is great with no vibrations, app experience is spotty and varies phone to phone.
No button to turn off the cam conveniently like the K2. Overall would recommend.

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
188 Posts
I installed the K2 over a year ago. It is a neat install and I set it to work automatically every time the bike is in use. My main disappointment - the bike fell over off its side stand whilst parked (I forgot to leave it is gear). The INNOVV went into crash mode and locked me out. All the MP4 files were corrupted and lost, including 1000 miles around Wales! :mad:
I now run in the more stable but less editable TS mode.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I installed the K2 over a year ago. It is a neat install and I set it to work automatically every time the bike is in use. My main disappointment - the bike fell over off its side stand whilst parked (I forgot to leave it is gear). The INNOVV went into crash mode and locked me out. All the MP4 files were corrupted and lost, including 1000 miles around Wales! :mad:
I now run in the more stable but less editable TS mode.
Is yours mounted similar to SPEDRacer? I’m wondering how it would fair in the crap uk weather if you rode all year round.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
188 Posts
I put the control unit in the same place - between battery and air box, SD slot facing upwards - but placed the GPS unit as far to the rear as possible, within the area under the pillion seat. I mounted the rear camera from a bracket perched behind the number plate, hence it sits slightly offset but is a very easy install.

I used the sticky pads and brackets provided in the kit to fix the front camera to the plastic shell of the headlight. I used stainless fasteners with dome-head nuts. I was unsure about the strength of the sticky pads but I need not have worried. They have stayed put for over a year. So the camera sits offset slightly and not central, as per SPEDRacer. In this position I avoided any "shadows" or partial obstructions of the view. I think SPEDRacer's location is neater but not sure how much of the lower headlight ill remain in the camera picture.

I have ridden in all the usual rubbish UK winter weather and both cameras have remained surprisingly clean. Naturally I clean them regularly but they are definitely not in line of fire from tyre-thrown debris.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Automotive lighting Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Apologies for the terrible photo quality - I took them this morning inside my unlit garage. :unsure::rolleyes:

Reactions: Pgm

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have one of innov original 12v dashcams, never installed it and now camera all have great image stabilization, still rather have it wired up to the headlights or something so they work automatically when bike is on

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...the camera sits offset slightly and not central, as per SPEDRacer. In this position I avoided any "shadows" or partial obstructions of the view. I think SPEDRacer's location is neater but not sure how much of the lower headlight ill remain in the camera picture.
Yeah quite a bit of the motorcycle's headlight and guard.
I don't need to see the sky directly above me though and the camera lense has quite a wide angle.
Here's a picture for anyone considering mounting similar to me, notice the rear has the indicator cut off a portion of the image as well, that's adjustable to remove the indicator from it. Just rotate the bracket slightly higher, however i'm using a mustard tail tidy so YMMV.

Sky Daytime Vehicle Car Blue

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
2019 790 Duke L
17 Posts
I fit mine slightly differently, sticking the front camera in the little recess under the headlight. As for the rear, I have combination taillights/indicators (CNC Racing Task), so I put the camera where the taillight used to be.
Tire Wheel Bicycle Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame
Motor vehicle Hood Audio equipment Automotive mirror Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Cameras & optics Gas

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Yeah quite a bit of the motorcycle's headlight and guard.
I don't need to see the sky directly above me though and the camera lense has quite a wide angle.

View attachment 9891
From experience - that will also stop the camera whiting out in strong sun - and at night in well lit urban areas the street lights wont flare the image out.

·
Registered
2019 790 Duke L
17 Posts
From experience - that will also stop the camera whiting out in strong sun - and at night in well lit urban areas the street lights wont flare the image out.
I have mine mounted right to the headlight and have zero issues with that

Reactions: barbagris

·
Registered
2019 790 Duke L
17 Posts
Anyone here have the Insta360 cameras? They were recommended by motorcycle.com
Aren’t those action cams and not dashcams? Dashcams are fully automatic and require no input other than getting power to start recording, while you need to set an actioncam up every time

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any reason other than price you did not get the Innov K5?
The Innov K5 was passed over primarily due to cost. it's only 4k at the front, the rear is 1080P. So i don't see the value just yet.
However it's also larger where as I wanted a low profile installation.
I also couldn't confirm the K5's bitrate and while i trust the brand now after witnessing it personally, I wasn't going to trust random reviews that the 4k tech was mature.
And with cameras front&rear 1080P should be sufficient for plate identification. If I want super crisp 4k for videos I'll buy a Gopro or 360 cam.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Has anybody used the VIOFO MT1 ? - I seem to remember I saw it recommended on the DashCam forum. And they have an EU distributor (which really makes things easier for shipping etc).

+1 on @SPEDRacer assessment of the K5.

As for action Cams - the latest GoPro are taking a beating - they seem very prone to overheating. The DJI Action Cam family would be on my list. I keep telling myself I "NEED" an action cam, and then forget about it for a month or two.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts