KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got it back today, new keys and immobilizer. runs all right. Im a little scared to install my austin racing rs 22 with the coober kit. I just dont want the electronics to **** on me again =\

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know what you mean. My bike will be staying stock until the warranty is up, just to be safe. luckily, this bike doesn't need much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was hoping not to have this happen to me but the other day I went to start up my 790 which has 8k trouble free miles on the clock, the warning came on. My issue seems related to the wet and cold rather than heat that others have reported. After letting the bike sit over night, it is a little slow to crank, and about 5 seconds after starting the failure shows up on the dash. I will let the bike idle till the first bar shows on the coolant gauge and shut the bike off, wait 3 minutes and fire the bike up, no warning light, no other issues. I called my local shop, they said the failures should be saved, so I will bring it in and see what happens.

·
a d m i n .
151,008 Posts
First post,and it's a negative 🙄. Immobilizer fail after 38 miles from new. Those first few miles were great, hope this doesn't prove difficult ....
Well, at least you got it out of the way early on. :grin:

WElcome Beckley!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. Dealer collecting tomorrow, says they've never had this before. I did point out it seems to be common. I chatted to a chap filling a 790 in a service station today. 5000 winter miles with no issues. Maybe I'm just unlucky 🤞

·
Registered
5 Posts
I still haven't got my bike back yet, it's been at the dealer over a month now. With the new year break and the fact that KTM sent an ignition system for a different bike, it's been a while now. And it's souring the whole experience somewhat... Good job the weather hasn't been decent!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Out of interest, has anybody with this issue noticed if the back wheel locks up at all, not whilst riding but after you've stopped or turned the bike off and on again? Kind of like a failsafe as the ABS failure flashes up, and as the bike cools it releases the wheel?

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
Out of interest, has anybody with this issue noticed if the back wheel locks up at all, not whilst riding but after you've stopped or turned the bike off and on again? Kind of like a failsafe as the ABS failure flashes up, and as the bike cools it releases the wheel?
Sound like a separate issue. I would guess it is the other way around. There is a problem that affects the rear wheel circuit on a warm bike and the ABS and/or ECU unit is identifies it and lets you know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Brought my bike in for its 9300 mile service, and have them check on the intermittent immobilizer failure. It would only happen starting the bike from cold, and seemed to be getting harder and harder to start. It wouldn’t always fire on the first push of the button. Dealer called me during service and said the battery needed to be replaced, was surprised it needed one so soon, but had the battery replaced. Dealer said that the battery was the cause of the failure when starting from cold, when the bike was warm battery had enough juice to not trip the failure. Went out the this am to start the bike from cold and she fired right up and no failure, so I assume that was the problem. Only weird issue since I got the bike back the temp gauge reads 4 bars constantly, before service it was usually at 3 bars unless it was slow then go to 4 bars. Not too concerned because it didn’t go over 4 bars in the 50 mile ride back from the dealer, will see what happens this week.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Brought my bike in for its 9300 mile service, and have them check on the intermittent immobilizer failure. It would only happen starting the bike from cold, and seemed to be getting harder and harder to start. It wouldn’t always fire on the first push of the button. Dealer called me during service and said the battery needed to be replaced, was surprised it needed one so soon, but had the battery replaced. Dealer said that the battery was the cause of the failure when starting from cold, when the bike was warm battery had enough juice to not trip the failure. Went out the this am to start the bike from cold and she fired right up and no failure, so I assume that was the problem. Only weird issue since I got the bike back the temp gauge reads 4 bars constantly, before service it was usually at 3 bars unless it was slow then go to 4 bars. Not too concerned because it didn’t go over 4 bars in the 50 mile ride back from the dealer, will see what happens this week.
So it was the battery eh? Good to know... we have one of the confirmed sources.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sound like a separate issue. I would guess it is the other way around. There is a problem that affects the rear wheel circuit on a warm bike and the ABS and/or ECU unit is identifies it and lets you know.
Interesting to know, thanks.

I finally got my bike back on friday after 8 weeks, 2 of which were sorting a brake issue I caused 😞
All the usual replaced though, done 100 miles on it since, seems ok so far and had some slow moving city traffic to check any overheating. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
19 Posts
So it was the battery eh? Good to know... we have one of the confirmed sources.

Yep I can confirm a flat battery will likely cause the immobilizer warning to come on. I have 7,900km on my bike but hadn't ridden it for two weeks. When I tried to start her up a couples of days ago the battery was flat, gave her one little crank and she died completely. I jumped started the bike and that's when I got the warning. Started her again today and the warning came on but I just cleared the screen and went back to the main screen. Ran the bike for a while, fan kick in and no issues with no warnings. This evening I decided to try the other spare key and started her up an no warning came up. I just made sure I had over 14V on the battery which it does and it seems to be good again. I do live in a very hot climate so I generally ride my bike most days and I never had this issue. I suspect a flat battery may have been the cause of my problem but will confirm by taking her out for s good ride tomorrow (provided it's not p*ssing down with rain) :smile:

101 - 120 of 158 Posts