1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my thread,

There are many like it,

But this one is Mine..

Oh PS, forgot the EBC upgrade of the front pads. Great way to improve the braking package for $100.
My issue with the stock front brake is like this....

So the upgraded pads will help this, or is it just me, and I need to modulate the front brake better?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All my previous 3 bikes had lower seat height .
I'm 5'5, and the only time I get annoyed with my height is parking the bike doing the penguin walk. It's embarrassing. Now, I use only one foot down at a time when I'm trying to park the bike rearend in first.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ultimately, the single biggest improvement for me was seat time and on-road guidance from YoungLion.
I envy you guys. I can't seem to find people to ride with. The riding friends that I do have; getting them to go riding is like pulling teeth. May be they just don't like my company.

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, .
@YoungLion
I'm 140 lbs naked, with very smooth skin. What should I do with my suspension? I prefer a cheap but effective solution although I could spend more to get good results.
I used to do motocross a lot so I know what good suspensions can do for confidence and handling.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
447 Posts
@YoungLion
I'm 140 lbs naked, with very smooth skin. What should I do with my suspension? I prefer a cheap but effective solution although I could spend more to get good results.
I used to do motocross a lot so I know what good suspensions can do for confidence and handling.
Suspension changes and preferences are a very personal thing, it's impossible to list them in order of quality or ranking so ultimately you have to go with your own research, budget, and impressions.

I always try to support local vendors for many reasons but based purely on my own needs, it's a large part of why I used the suspension company I did to order my components and install it - this way I'll know that if/when I need help, they are there for me.

If you want hard answers, these brands are IMO all amazing and I've used them all over the years with great results:

- Penske shocks
- Andreani Cartridges
- Ohlins - both front and rear - everything from base stuff to top line TTX and NIX

I've got anecdotal feedback from trusted sources on Nitron, K-Tech, and KTM owned WP - also all very reputable companies making great kit.

·
Registered
415 Posts

So the upgraded pads will help this, or is it just me, and I need to modulate the front brake better?
Not sure of your problem explanation. But if its low speed pulsing there could be other problem like disc brake pad compound build in hot spots, a warped disc will give higher speed pulse, my issue was initial bite was lacking from the stock pads, EBC HH, cured this with good strong initial bike.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In order of impact for me:
My riding ability doesn't allow me to know the difference between good tires and great tires. I envy you.
Street riding only. Can you feel the difference?

J D - EDIT: Let’s make you, your own thread, and move all these posts from Katie's own thread, 3-2-1, Goo.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Not sure of your problem explanation. But if its low speed pulsing there could be other problem like disc brake pad compound build in hot spots, a warped disc will give higher speed pulse, my issue was initial bite was lacking from the stock pads, EBC HH, cured this with good strong initial bike.
As Dave said, this is worth checking out. His great advice cured a similar problem I had. There are some photos here: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2019/10/maintenance-time-new-jacket-and-other.html . I've just repeated the process as I had some EBC HH pads delivered right on lockdown but haven't had the chance to bed them in yet.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
447 Posts
My riding ability doesn't allow me to know the difference between good tires and great tires. I envy you.
Street riding only. Can you feel the difference?
The main difference in good tires and great tires is only appreciated at the very upper end of the performance spectrum. KTM knows this and they know that 95% of the time the Maxxis tires they put on the 790 will be more than adequate for owners.

I spend roughly 50% of my riding being "a student of the game" and continuing to learn how to ride smarter, faster, and all while increasing my margin of error. For that 50% - the OEM tires are not suitable for my tastes and requirements.
The other 50% of my riding is split between commuting, the first 5-10 minutes riding to get heat into the tires and make sure the oil in warmed, the brakes are up to temp, and I'm mentally plugged in to focus on the job at hand, and of course the ride back home which I treat as a cool down lap - chill out, smell the roses kinda riding after I've had my fix. For that, the OEM tires are totally fine.

Learning to tell good tires/brakes/suspension from bad takes time and I can assure you I've spent a LOT of money to gain those experiences on track days, coaching, classes, club racing, reading books, etc...

I used street tires only for the first 2 years I did track days and then switched to dedicated race tires. Going back to doing instructing on track I used my streetbike on street tires and you get a remarkable amount of grip from current top level street rubber but the issue with them on track is that the drop off is so abrupt on them - they go from offering 95% the grip as race rubber to overheated marshmallows by lap 7-8 if the pace gets ratcheted way up and then they only offer 80-85% of the grip. Also - you have to look at the talent level - throw Marc Marquez on the Maxxis tires and he will still crush any club racer in the world whos on the best bike and tires. My point is that for my talent level, I want/need all the help my money can buy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts