KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, today I finished my 790 Duke project. The list of parts is long, but whoever wants can find a detailed list in my garage.

In short, I changed the whole suspension (front and rear) with WP APEX PRO 6500 (Fork Cartridge) and WP PRO APEX 6746 (Monoshock). Also I changed almost all plastic parts with carbon fiber ones and this is felt quite seriously on the total weight of the motorcycle. The front feels extremely light, that it scares me... :D I guess this is mainly due to the upgrade of the fork cartridge.

The motorcycle feels very agile and the suspension is awesome. The setting is a 15-click (comfort). The difference is unique, just like riding a completely different motorcycle. Of course, while most upgrades are entirely visual, the suspension and Akra are two of my best investments for this motorcycle!

I hope you like it. I remain available for comments and questions! :)

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is it the full akrapovic system? A picture from the other side if it is please.
No, Unfortunately It is illegal, I will not be able to ride on public roads. This is why the cat is preserved, and the exhaust is Akra Slip-on...btw the sound is great without a db-killer!

The motorcycle is made for fun, commuting and touring. Of course, I will also ride it on a track sometimes, but that's not the main purpose of the build. I have been looking for practicality and vision-style, not performance. I'm not a racing type-style rider. :)

Next time, I'll take some pictures from the other side.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
KTM 790 fly screen

Hello
I have a question is that KTM power part fly screen and does it work in deflecting wind? Nice mods keep up the good work.

Kind Regards
greg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The short answer is Yes and Yes :)

But everyone is different...it is very important with what speed you plan to ride, what is the position of your body on the bike, how wide your shoulders are, and so on. The comfort zone I feel is between 100-120km/h. Еverything above that speed will not work as well. If you plan to ride faster it is better to get the PP Windshield. I have it too, but I have not mounted it yet (for aesthetic reasons :D), and I can not say how much the difference will be ...but there will surely be a difference, because it's almost twice as high as а fly screen. However, I am very pleased with the standard aerodynamics of the motorcycle...as it is.

To summarize, if you want to improve aerodynamics, but at the same time you want to preserve the style of the motorcycle, then the fly screen is your balanced choice. But if aerodynamics is more important to you, then the windshield...for sure!

PP Fly Screen Part N: 64108908033
PP Windshield Part N: 64108908144

I hope this answers your question :)

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Mstyle
Sorry for late reply to you excellent reply. You have said exactly what I was thinking. I have just bought my 790 duke after owning 390 2018 duke for a while. I love them both as they are great rides. I have the barracuda carbon screen that come with the 790 duke and it works as you have said for highway speeds it is great and I take it off for city riding as I think it spoils the 790's lines. Just my opinion. I noticed you have a belly pan which looks very nice and I was wondering is that the power parts KTM one or aftermarket?

Mate thank you for sharing and chatting with me about you bike. I notice you have quite a few suttle mods that are very nice that has givin me more questions if that is ok and have you thought of a front fender extender to keep bike from road grim?

Thank you
greg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi blueracer,

I mounted the PP Windshield and I can say for sure that there is a huge difference. Honestly, I do not even visually annoy me anymore. I do not like the windshield being transparent. It also vibrates at a higher speed, but that should be normal. More importantly, it deflect a lot of air flow. Something that is important to keep in mind when it comes to night time rides: the windshield reflects the light from the headlight, but it is not so irritating or distracting ... so.

About the belly pan: it is carbon-fiber and it is identical to PP one. It is purchased from HF Carbon Germany (Link). Btw I've changed almost all plastic parts with carbon ones. Again with HF Carbon. So I reduced the total weight of my motorcycle by almost ~3 kilos. For example: The difference in weight of the plastic belly pan to the carbon fiber is almost 3 times. Unfortunately this part is at least worthwhile to be carbon for several reasons. First you can not see and appreciate the fact that it is carbon, and secondly it is the closest and lowest part to the ground, which automatically makes it the most vulnerable to damage. My advice would be to buy a plastic belly pan (PP Front Spoiler aka belly pan - Part Number: 64108920044) instead of a carbon fiber because it will not hurt your heart when you hit a stone or hit the asphalt. :D

Here you can find an alternative to HF Carbon, but I do not know what quality is.

Warning: You need to be careful when shopping carbon parts and read the description because it is very common to find parts that are not entirely carbon-fiber, for example they are made of carbon+fiberglass - to be cheaper, but more fragile and heavier etc.

To share some more experience about HF Carbon:
The parts come perfectly packaged. Their quality looks and feels almost perfect. To be more specific - Their outer side looks perfect, but the inner could be a little better finished. Two of my parts needed very light finishing (on the inner side), but everyone with little experience could do it. The communication was great, I had a lot of questions and all of them were answered in time. At one of the places the embedded metal threaded nut is peeled off from the carbon, because of excessive tightening, but a little glue fixed it. So be careful how you tighten the bolts. I recommend using of threadlocker instead of very tight tightening. I use Loctite 243 (blue, middle strength) and it does a great job.

I remain available for questions :)

Cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got a question about the WP cartridge kit. The preload adjustments on them, is it just 3 different settings (-3;0;+3)? Or is it similar to regular front suspension where its a treaded preload (might have got the term wrong). Appreciate you help mate.

·
a d m i n .
151,147 Posts
I've got a question about the WP cartridge kit. The preload adjustments on them, is it just 3 different settings (-3;0;+3)? Or is it similar to regular front suspension where its a treaded preload (might have got the term wrong). Appreciate you help mate.
Welcome aboard, Asri..! :grin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks mate! Haven't actually bought a 790, but working on that hahah. Really concerned about the suspension more than anything else, from the multiple reviews I've seen.

·
a d m i n .
151,147 Posts
Thanks mate! Haven't actually bought a 790, but working on that hahah. Really concerned about the suspension more than anything else, from the multiple reviews I've seen.
No worries hombre, you're still welcome here, of course.

Although the susp is non-adjustable, it works well for most riders, as is.

That being said, there are some nice aftermarket options mentioned in the 'Suspension' section on this forum, that many have had great success. :smile_big:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Suspension is OK. I'm a fat bastardo (109KG), and have had a few 'moments' in bumpy corners. I think springs, front and rear, better suited to my weight will fix it.
If not, one of the cartridge kits for the front and an upgraded rear shock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks! Really appreciate the welcome here.

Yeah, most of the reviews I've seen have mentioned that it's actually pretty okay.
But I'm a picky bas*ard 😂, so I know there are after market adjustable ones. But can't seem to find information on the front preload adjusters.
It seems like there is just 3 settings for preload. Which leads me to the question, if just 3 setting, how are the stiffness increments like?
Plus my bike is definitely going to see the circuit quite a bit, so being able to make proper adjustments is pretty important to me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had GP Suspension cartridges on a Bike I had 8-9 years ago. Memory is going, it had ten or twelve preload settings and 14 clicks of compression and rebound.

GP Suspension

It was a great improvement, well worth it. Might get them again for the 790 (if they make them). The rear shock on that bike was ordinary, replaced with an ohlins.

Gets expensive being a fat Bastardo:grin:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am pretty sure the preload and rebound is very adjustable on the WP kit - think it's the APEX Pro 6500 for the front (APEX 6746 for the rear)

Right fork (red adjuster) is rebound, left fork (white adjuster) is compression.

If you look at this Rok Bagaros video here where he get his 790 Duke fitted with WP upgrades you can see there are loads of clicks on the adjusters:

https://youtu.be/_ph3-GFpQ8E?t=948

I am not sure why the cartridge tops have +3 / -3 printed on them to be honest!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am pretty sure the preload and rebound is very adjustable on the WP kit - think it's the APEX Pro 6500 for the front (APEX 6746 for the rear)

Right fork (red adjuster) is rebound, left fork (white adjuster) is compression.

If you look at this Rok Bagaros video here where he get his 790 Duke fitted with WP upgrades you can see there are loads of clicks on the adjusters:

https://youtu.be/_ph3-GFpQ8E?t=948

I am not sure why the cartridge tops have +3 / -3 printed on them to be honest!
Yeah I watched this exact video, which got me wondering about the preload adjustments lol! Just waiting for someone who has the cartridge kit to let me know if its threaded or by clicks and how many clicks.

From what I know now, Compression and Rebound damping has got 30 clicks each. But that's about all I can find out.
Bearing in mind that I fully trust that WP makes amazing suspension. Just curious is all.:smile:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi,

Yes, there are only three settings visible (-3, 0, +3), but I'm not sure if there are any click settings between them for example (1, 2) or (-1, -2) etc. Unfortunately, the documentation also did not describe this. Below you can find an attached picture of the possible settings. I weigh 85kg and for that I have not played with the settings ... honestly I don't think I will need to adjust it further. The suspension is extremely good, very smooth.

I am very happy with this upgrade. It is also much lighter than stock suspension! The front becomes extremely light after the upgrade, the front has a carbon fender, a upgraded cartridge and upgraded wave brake discs. The difference is at least 2.5kg in the front.

Cheers

Attachments

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
300 Posts
Hi,

Yes, there are only three settings visible (-3, 0, +3), but I'm not sure if there are any click settings between them for example (1, 2) or (-1, -2) etc. Unfortunately, the documentation also did not describe this. Below you can find an attached picture of the possible settings. I weigh 85kg and for that I have not played with the settings ... honestly I don't think I will need to adjust it further. The suspension is extremely good, very smooth.

I am very happy with this upgrade. It is also much lighter than stock suspension! The front becomes extremely light after the upgrade, the front has a carbon fender, a upgraded cartridge and upgraded wave brake discs. The difference is at least 2.5kg in the front.

Cheers
If you watch the video the -3,0 and +3 is for 3mm adjustments of preload for a total of 6mms of adjustment. There isn't any adjustments inbetween though so it can be -3mm, 0mm or +3mm or preload. For Rebound and Compression it is 30 clicks total, so any of those clicks you can use.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts