KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlight comes on when I first start the bike but then goes off after a couple of seconds and this message displays. It began as intermittent but now it’s constant. The dealer is going to diagnose it next week. Has anyone ever seen this condition? :surprise:

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Only seen that when I turned the key on with the headlight disconnected (while fitting the PP heated grips to check connections)

Could just be a connection issue under the headlight cowl - which is a just few bolts to undo to check: headlight adjustment screw to undo and 2 lower bolts to loosen - then the headlight drops down so you can check the connector.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Only seen that when I turned the key on with the headlight disconnected (while fitting the PP heated grips to check connections)

Could just be a connection issue under the headlight cowl - which is a just few bolts to undo to check: headlight adjustment screw to undo and 2 lower bolts to loosen - then the headlight drops down so you can check the connector.
Likewise! I dropped the headlight forward and unclipped the headlight connector to wire in a GPS to the switched accessory connectors. On reassembling, the headlight connector needed a decent push towards the headlight before I heard a distinct click of it locking in place. I agree with checking the connector too. You shouldn't be able to pull it clear of the headlight without squeezing the underside to release it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments. I unplugged and re-plugged the connector. Headlight behaves the same. The curious thing is it does come on for a second or two then always goes off. So the lighting unit itself can’t be burned out. Weird. (Also the error message is HLU failure – not HUI)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealer had the bike for 2 weeks and, after working with KTM USA, determined the problem was a relay inside the headlight unit. I suspected as much as it was a 'slow death' effect. Anyway, they replaced it under warranty which I appreciated since their total parts and labor cost was ~$1700. One lesson I've learned is to get my bike serviced at the dealership where I bought it. Years ago I switched dealers to do warranty service on my Aprilia RSV and it was a disaster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts