KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone:

Power up in 1st? Clutch up in 2nd?

It's been a long time since I'd ridden wheelies but i just got this duke and she loves 'em! I pulled them in first but it wasnt the most controlled (perhaps I'm just rusty or old) so I kept coming down pretty quick and hard.

If you're doing 2nd gear wheelies with the clutch, what RPM are you clutching up in?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
141 Posts
On my 890, no clutch needed in 2nd or 3rd. First gear wheelies are really dicey as there is so much torque easy to flip it over backwards. Any significant wheelie assumes I put it in track mode otherwise at about 7 degrees, the TC will start to kill it. If I lift it up in 3rd, easier to find the balance point and ride it for a while.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On my 890, no clutch needed in 2nd or 3rd. First gear wheelies are really dicey as there is so much torque easy to flip it over backwards. Any significant wheelie assumes I put it in track mode otherwise at about 7 degrees, the TC will start to kill it. If I lift it up in 3rd, easier to find the balance point and ride it for a while.
Wow, so you're powering up 2nd and 3rd? Amazing. If you happen to recall what RPM you're at please let me know! I tried real down low 2nd gear power wheelies today between 2-4.5k and it didnt come up, perhaps the power band is higher up.

Have to find a safe place to try and not get pulled over.

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
My new 790 comes up in 2nd off the throttle np whatsoever and gets real light on the front end in 3rd never done it but im sure it would be up straight away with the clutch in 3rd ! i always ride in track mode with TC on 3 anti wheelie ON ! this thing goes way way further up than 7 degree with anti wheelie on ! i have tried to see just how far it will come up with anti wheelie ON and i have thrown the towel in 1st ! either my anti wheelie dont work or this thing is about to go past vertical and flip ! so my confidence in this so called 7 degree max with anti wheelie ON is BS on my bike, im also toying with foing down 1 tooth on the front and 2-3 on the rear as i dont need this 790 doing 120mph + and it will be more fun with the gearing changed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Change the gearing that much and first will be almost useless. I definitely don't need more torque multiplication in 1st or 2nd gear. Even if you do go to -1 front and +3 rear, at redline in 6th you'll still be able to do over 120 mph. Maybe you want to go even lower... ;)

I don't know if you plan to ride on the freeway but at 70 mph you'll be turning over 5100 rpms. Anyway maybe it works for your riding area. I would have even worse wheelies to contend with. This platform already has a lot of SDR genetics and wheelies aren't optional in any of the first 3 gears on my 890 as it is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was told the same about my 950sm ! dont change the gearing 1st will be useless ! it turned out one of the best mods i ever did to the bike ! went -1 front +3 rear, no motorways anywhere near where i am as i live out in the sticks just some excellent B roads perfect for the Duke and supermoto's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My new 790 comes up in 2nd off the throttle np whatsoever and gets real light on the front end in 3rd never done it but im sure it would be up straight away with the clutch in 3rd ! i always ride in track mode with TC on 3 anti wheelie ON ! this thing goes way way further up than 7 degree with anti wheelie on ! i have tried to see just how far it will come up with anti wheelie ON and i have thrown the towel in 1st ! either my anti wheelie dont work or this thing is about to go past vertical and flip ! so my confidence in this so called 7 degree max with anti wheelie ON is BS on my bike, im also toying with foing down 1 tooth on the front and 2-3 on the rear as i dont need this 790 doing 120mph + and it will be more fun with the gearing changed.

I like to clutch up 2nd gear wheelies and got good at on a drz400sm. I bought the 790duke as a light weight powerful twin looking forward to wheelieing it. I have not been able to find the right setting to do this consistently, most tries have put my parts in the tank and I’m getting frustrated. Given: all these settings are in track mode. My understanding is anti wheelie mode off is for wheelies, but all I get is a puny little whiff and a crotch ache. So if you or anybody out here knows, is anti wheelie mode on or off to wheelie? My guess is turn off launch control and turn down traction control to about three. Street, sport, track, in track mode I don’t care, all 3 have plenty of power to loft. So is it AWM on or off for full-up clutched wheelies. Sorry if I sound desperate but the electronics on this bike are driving me nuts. Thx

·
Registered
42 Posts
although i ride in track mode all the time i find it a pain after every start to have to go into the menu and start turning off the rear ABS MSC ect so now i just leave those and have it in Track Mode with Street Throttle response slip i do faff around with when riding and even set at 5 it spins up the rear on greasy slippy roads Launch Control always OFF never use it not interested in frying my clutch just for a bit of fun, and Anti Wheelie is OFF even tho iv been told that is ON when set to OFF ! same as you i would like the definitive answer about Wheeli Control ! as in which setting allows the bike to Wheelie ? set to ON or OFF ! all i know is when mine is set to OFF it wheelies like my moto x bike lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
AWM = Anti-Wheelie Mode. Set to Off to remove the Anti and go play.

I haven't had to touch any ABS settings yet. -1 front sprocket and 2nd gear clutch ups at about 50kph come up fast. I've been behind @YoungLion on his 890 almost scraping his license plate in 3rd at around 100kph.

·
Registered
30 Posts
although i ride in track mode all the time i find it a pain after every start to have to go into the menu and start turning off the rear ABS MSC ect so now i just leave those and have it in Track Mode with Street Throttle response slip i do faff around with when riding and even set at 5 it spins up the rear on greasy slippy roads Launch Control always OFF never use it not interested in frying my clutch just for a bit of fun, and Anti Wheelie is OFF even tho iv been told that is ON when set to OFF ! same as you i would like the definitive answer about Wheeli Control ! as in which setting allows the bike to Wheelie ? set to ON or OFF ! all i know is when mine is set to OFF it wheelies like my moto x bike lol
That’s what I’m trying for, moto style wheel up. Intuitively Track mode/sport, LC off and AWM off, day before yesterday, 2nd gear leaving first, rev up, clutch out, Zoom front wheel starts to come off and boom motor cuts out and hard back to the ground, parts in the tank. This should have been a full loft. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, I’ll keep working on it,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Iv had the same many times the front comes up and jeez this 790 comes up so fast ! faster than any other bike iv had ! must be down to the fuel injection as all my other bikes have had carbs ! but i must just touch the gear lever and the quick shifter cuts the ign so bang straight back down Doh..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Iv had the same many times the front comes up and jeez this 790 comes up so fast ! faster than any other bike iv had ! must be down to the fuel injection as all my other bikes have had carbs ! but i must just touch the gear lever and the quick shifter cuts the ign so bang straight back down Doh..
Yeah I think you have to have the wheel up before shifting.
I had an ahah last night: I think my problem may have been that as I’ve been getting the wheel off the ground I’ve been hitting the rev limiter. That would explain the sudden kill. So I’ll start using the lower part of the power band.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I did the same on my KTM950sm -1 front, made a good difference and turned it into a proper wheelie machine.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts