KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm 260 lb and was thinking I probably need to up my preload a little bit I was curious any advice to what setting and also the process of how to do it it was easy on my KX but I don't want to break nothing

·
Registered
414 Posts
You just use the C-spanner and handle in the tool kit. Better C-spanners are available but it works ok.

Approach the bike from the left hand side, get the spanner located on the shock's adjusting ring castle nut (the notched thing just above the spring itself) and use some force to turn it so it goes into the next position. You are just winding the spring tighter so you need to go up the detents in the adjuster.

I would probably go to near the top setting (or one down for your weight) - find a bumpy road and try a few settings.

The spanner is small and light enough to carry in your pocket to do it while out on a ride to find the setting that feels best for you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You come to my aid once again sir, thank you for the info we're going to beef it up a little bit for my large style frame lol

·
Registered
414 Posts
You come to my aid once again sir, thank you for the info we're going to beef it up a little bit for my large style frame lol
No problem @Bill - my problem is I am too light so went down 2 notches from standard. It's still a bit firm but that's more to do with lack of compression / rebound adjustment as it's a basic shock.

I'm guessing that default setting and spring rate would suit someone around 180 lbs / 80Kg as that's probably near the average Austrian rider.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem @Bill - my problem is I am too light so went down 2 notches from standard. It's still a bit firm but that's more to do with lack of compression / rebound adjustment as it's a basic shock.

I'm guessing that default setting and spring rate would suit someone around 180 lbs / 80Kg as that's probably near the average Austrian rider.
I went up three clicks going to test it out today when it warms up a little bit quite a bit as I am more beefier than the average Austrian it seems 😁 thanks again

·
Registered
21 Duke 890r
151 Posts
You just use the C-spanner and handle in the tool kit. Better C-spanners are available but it works ok.

Approach the bike from the left hand side, get the spanner located on the shock's adjusting ring castle nut (the notched thing just above the spring itself) and use some force to turn it so it goes into the next position. You are just winding the spring tighter so you need to go up the detents in the adjuster.

I would probably go to near the top setting (or one down for your weight) - find a bumpy road and try a few settings.

The spanner is small and light enough to carry in your pocket to do it while out on a ride to find the setting that feels best for you.
Do you lift the rear at all or just have it on the kickstand. Also you have to put a ton of force right?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Do you lift the rear at all or just have it on the kickstand. Also you have to put a ton of force right?
You don't need to lift the bike.

Just make sure you get the C-spanner properly seated in the castellations (the notches) and firmly move it to the next notch.

It does take little a bit of force but not much - one handed.

If you need to move to another notch reposition the C-spanner.

There are much better C-spanners out there but the one in the toolkit works ok if you are careful.

·
Registered
21 Duke 890r
151 Posts
I noticed it was on notch 4. I moved it to notch 6. I am 165 lbs without gear and 5'8. you think I should try this or set it to 5?

·
Super Moderator
1,516 Posts
Have someone help you measure sag.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I noticed it was on notch 4. I moved it to notch 6. I am 165 lbs without gear and 5'8. you think I should try this or set it to 5?
I would just ride it and see how it feels @Dukester - I think notch 5 or 6 should suit your weight.

When I got my 790 I carried the C-spanner with me and rode one of the bumpy roads near me I like to ride on - I tried a few settings until I found a good compromise that felt right.

I'm lighter than you (and lighter than average at about 135 lbs without gear) so I softened it two notches.

·
Registered
21 Duke 890r
151 Posts
I would just ride it and see how it feels @Dukester - I think notch 5 or 6 should suit your weight.

When I got my 790 I carried the C-spanner with me and rode one of the bumpy roads near me I like to ride on - I tried a few settings until I found a good compromise that felt right.

I'm lighter than you (and lighter than average at about 135 lbs without gear) so I softened it two notches.
Thank you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts