KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in first it comes right up, but is very sketchy. In 2nd its better but I start to have trouble bringing it up, in 3rd I can't get it up at all. I have AWM off and sport throttle response but I just can't get to to come more than a inch or two off while popping the clutch in 3rd. I have tried between 60 and 90kph all with no luck. Do I need to also have TC turned off? People where with 790s, what speeds are you power wheeling in 2nd and clutching in 3rd? Im sitting back in my seat and it feels like I'm doing everything fine. I have ridden my Friends MT-07 and it clutches up amazing in 3rd.

·
Super Moderator
'18 Duke 690
626 Posts
I am not a fan of clutching up wheelies so I just bring up the front wheel in 2nd and then shift into 3rd, 4th, etc...

One the 790 it wouldn't lift the front on power alone in 3rd but my 890R did - especially after I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket.

So short answer - buy an 890R. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not a fan of clutching up wheelies so I just bring up the front wheel in 2nd and then shift into 3rd, 4th, etc...

One the 790 it wouldn't lift the front on power alone in 3rd but my 890R did - especially after I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket.

So short answer - buy an 890R. :)
I saved almost $5000 getting a 790 instead of a 890R. But trust me, the 890R was me first option

·
Super Moderator
'18 Duke 690
626 Posts
I saved almost $5000 getting a 790 instead of a 890R. But trust me, the 890R was me first option
Then you should be busy raving about how awesome it is to have a spare $5000 in your pocket vs asking why your bike won't wheelie.

;)

·
a d m i n .
151,032 Posts
$5000, or a lifetime of unquestionably fun wheelies, hmmmm. 👻

·
Super Moderator
'18 Duke 690
626 Posts
It’s that expensive in Canada?
ICBC is our Provincially run insurance that all citizens are mandated to use.

On my 890R a years worth of full coverage was around $1100 but since I'm in my 40's, clean driving record, etc.. I get a 43% discount. It takes a long time to get to that level I believe.
May 1, rates were totally revised and this years insurance rates went down over 20% for me.

Only 2 things I'm not a fan of is that they don't allow you to have just one plate and move it between bikes if you own more than one (pretty sure you can only ride one at a time) and they base rates for bikes on displacement - not style or genre so I think it's something like 0-400cc's, 401-750, 751-1100, 1101+... A 1290SD and the like - ouch but when I had my Ninja 400 - good times!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ICBC is our Provincially run insurance that all citizens are mandated to use.

On my 890R a years worth of full coverage was around $1100 but since I'm in my 40's, clean driving record, etc.. I get a 43% discount. It takes a long time to get to that level I believe.
May 1, rates were totally revised and this years insurance rates went down over 20% for me.

Only 2 things I'm not a fan of is that they don't allow you to have just one plate and move it between bikes if you own more than one (pretty sure you can only ride one at a time) and they base rates for bikes on displacement - not style or genre so I think it's something like 0-400cc's, 401-750, 751-1100, 1101+... A 1290SD and the like - ouch but when I had my Ninja 400 - good times!
The big problem for me is that I'm not old enough for 3rd party insurance. So I need full coverage from ICBC. I should be able to get 3rd party in 3 years. Then my yearly price should go from about $4500 to $2500 once I can get 3rd party

·
Super Moderator
'18 Duke 690
626 Posts
The big problem for me is that I'm not old enough for 3rd party insurance. So I need full coverage from ICBC. I should be able to get 3rd party in 3 years. Then my yearly price should go from about $4500 to $2500 once I can get 3rd party
Agreed - that's a huge benefit once you qualify.

I do as well and as I said ICBC was $1100 for my 890 but it was $960ish with ICBC for basic coverage and the rest via 3rd party.

Last year on my 400 it was $600 all in for both combined and this year on my 690 it's $760 - no complaints there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So in first it comes right up, but is very sketchy. In 2nd its better but I start to have trouble bringing it up, in 3rd I can't get it up at all. I have AWM off and sport throttle response but I just can't get to to come more than a inch or two off while popping the clutch in 3rd. I have tried between 60 and 90kph all with no luck. Do I need to also have TC turned off? People where with 790s, what speeds are you power wheeling in 2nd and clutching in 3rd? Im sitting back in my seat and it feels like I'm doing everything fine. I have ridden my Friends MT-07 and it clutches up amazing in 3rd.
I posted pretty much the same question a couple months ago except in my case the bike was throwing my parts into the tank every time I tried to wheelie. What I figured out is, WC off launch control on, traction control scrolled down to 5 or less, or off. Clutch it up between 22 and 27 mph in 2nd but don’t clutch it up going immediately from 1st to second. Watch your 1st gear launch control indicators for 1,2,3 that means launch control is going to bring you down, go when LC is NA. That’s my best advice. Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
I posted pretty much the same question a couple months ago except in my case the bike was throwing my parts into the tank every time I tried to wheelie. What I figured out is, WC off launch control on, traction control scrolled down to 5 or less, or off. Clutch it up between 22 and 27 mph in 2nd but don’t clutch it up going immediately from 1st to second. Watch your 1st gear launch control indicators for 1,2,3 that means launch control is going to bring you down, go when LC is NA. That’s my best advice. Good luck
PS adjust your clutch lever out a little

·
Registered
61 Posts
Clutch ups are usually far more consistent than power ups. Historically I preferred to bounce+power-up my wheelies. But, having lost an arm due to bringing down a wheelie on gravel, mid-turn, I don't do that many anymore (except on my wheelie monster, the 701 sumo)

Back in my heyday I was pretty decent at them....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts