KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you use on the clutch?

The brake?

I use 2 on both. Just switched to 2 on the clutch because the clutch pull is light enough and the engagement point is far enough out. The only issue I have is finding neutral sometimes at stop lights because the lever isn't quite far enough in.

·
A d m i n .
151,134 Posts
Pointer finger only, for front brake, for the past 25 years.

Hence why I fell in love with the installed Brembo 18 Radial on my first SuperHawk back in '99, & have stuck with those since.

Clutch, 1 or 2 finguh's, depending.

·
Registered
75 Posts
1 brake-normal and for hard trail braking. 2 for panic stop. Running Brembo MC and Calipers. OEM brakes even with better pads just not up to Brembo standards on other KTM's I have.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Two (2) on the clutch and one (1) on the brake. I grew up on dirt bikes, quads, snowmobiles, ATCs, ATVs, etc.

Don't know if this is best or not, just how I have naturally wound up over thirty-six (36) years of riding.

·
Registered
843 Posts
To some extent it varies - depending on Bike, Levers and Gloves. I have "odd" hands - My pinkies are deformed a bit and my ring fingers are longer than my index's. They're also not huge.

In general I am really using middle and ring as they are the ones that reach - Index then curls over. Pinkies seldom reach but especially clutch can then get trapped if I don't lift them and pretend.

Winter gloves are usually not that flexible but also fatter so they trap easier if you don't use the full span.

On the 790 - honestly I seldom use the clutch many days - except at traffic lights. With the COOBER fitted the QS is really stunningly good.

·
Registered
111 Posts
2 on each. At a longer stop, I'll grab a handful of clutch.

JD- I had a '98 Superhawk. One of my favorite bikes of all time until I hit a deer and they totaled it after 10 years and 26k miles. I had GSXR-1000 calipers on it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Brakes: 2 fingers, sometimes just one for minor control/adjustments.
Clutch: 4 probably, no sense getting tired fingers while waiting at a light or in traffic. I may use 2 when doing casual shifts, I just don't really think about it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
2 on the brakes now i have the brilliant EBC (thanks forum members) and clutch in general riding is 4 fingers, but i only pull the clutch lever in about 15mm when on the go and fully in around town (rarely ever in town). Pretty much the same on all my bikes except the 54 BSA, thats one whole lot of pre braking plan, foot mainly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you use two fingers on the clutch, are you able to engage it completely? When I use two fingers even if pull the clutch all the way down so the level pushes into 2 other fingers it's still not enough to shift from 1st to N. If I use three fingers - it works (since pinky is smaller so the lever goes farther). I tried adjusting free play but even with almost zero it still the way I described :( How does it work for you? Do you use custom levers?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you use two fingers on the clutch, are you able to engage it completely? When I use two fingers even if pull the clutch all the way down so the level pushes into 2 other fingers it's still not enough to shift from 1st to N. If I use three fingers - it works (since pinky is smaller so the lever goes farther). I tried adjusting free play but even with almost zero it still the way I described :( How does it work for you? Do you use custom levers?
I have the PP levers and I can shift from 1st to N with just 2 fingers, but it is harder to find compared to pulling the clutch all the way to the bar. I find it easier to shift from 2nd to N when coming to a stop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts