KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did 236 miles today. Temps ranged from 58 to 75 degrees. That is correct 75 degrees in the middle of winter. How cool is that? I mean hot! ;)

Went up north on hiway 49 and some other cool roads.

On a couple of long strait sections I decided to tuck in and pin it. First time I saw 122 on the clock. The 2nd time I saw 123 on the clock.

The bike felt pretty solid at speed with only a hint of twitch. I did notice that it begins to hit an air wall north of about 120 or so.

It accelerates pretty quick up to about a buck 15 then progress slows after that.

Curious how fast you have gone on your Duke?

Road Mountainous landforms Infrastructure Road surface Asphalt
Road Motorcycle Road surface Asphalt Infrastructure
Motorcycle Road Road surface Automotive design Fuel tank
Road Infrastructure Asphalt Road surface Fender
Road Motorcycle Road surface Asphalt Infrastructure

Registered
Haven't tried but I got 133mph on a private road officer on my old tiger 800 triple so KTM should be similar.

Registered
Not actually pushed it to the top, and with shorter gearing now on the top end will be moot. It will however slip VERY VERY quickly into "Bye bye licence" territory with no effort at all.
So much so - that I have a home developed "licence alert" on my dash. It uses coloured LEDs driven by GPS and is visible even when low sun washes out the OEM instrument display.

Registered
No idea and don't really care. It's not about top speed, for me. It's about acceleration, braking and handling. Have a look at a map of West Dorset. The area has no motorways, few dual carriageways and lots of narrow, high hedged lanes with gravel on apexes and wet leaves under trees.

The road from West Bay to Portesham is as good as any coast road I've ridden but it's a heavily policed 50mph road so speeding is a bit pointless, unless it's points on your licence you're after.

I'll leave the chasing top speed to others.

Registered
I agree with Bristol Saint - I'm in neighbouring Devon and I wouldn't trust most car and van drivers to see me at legal speeds so anything above 80ish feels like you're playing Russian Roulette. I did see 120 on a blast a while ago but it's not something I'm likely to aim to beat. I'm more impressed with how quick it gets up to 80 and it's ability to make short work of any traffic

Registered
I agree with Bristol Saint - I'm in neighbouring Devon and I wouldn't trust most car and van drivers to see me at legal speeds so anything above 80ish feels like you're playing Russian Roulette. I did see 120 on a blast a while ago but it's not something I'm likely to aim to beat. I'm more impressed with how quick it gets up to 80 and it's ability to make short work of any traffic
50-80 is what matters more often than not. But then again - I'm just an old twit in (self) exile.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed top speed is really not that important. Just was curious if anyone had taken it to the limit.

I have noticed that on several other bike forums here in the states many of the young hooligans make a big deal about going fast.

For me the fun zone is the 40 to 80 mph zone and is where I live most of the time. Bad things happen fast north of 100.

Registered
If I were into massively exceeding the posted speed limit on public roads, I sure wouldn't post about it on the internet where it could easily be tied back to me IRL...

Registered
It wouldn't be proof you had done it however..
No but it can be used against you later
There was a street racing fatality that killed an innocent bystander several years ago. During the trail the prosecution submitted the drivers post history on a Mustang enthusiasts forum, including bragging about how fast he has driven on the street, as evidence of his general reckless disregard.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The first 2 pics on this thread show the brand new pavement on old Ben Hur road. The following pic shows what the pavement looked like prior to the re-pave. It was brutal. There was a 3 mile stretch where the pic was taken that was so brutal I would ride it standing on the pegs.
Nature Green Brown Road Yellow

a d m i n .
You fellas in the UK have those speed cameras, (gatsos?), seemingly everywhere? That would curtail my speeding as well.

Registered
790 Duke 2020
The first 2 pics on this thread show the brand new pavement on old Ben Hur road. The following pic shows what the pavement looked like prior to the re-pave. It was brutal. There was a 3 mile stretch where the pic was taken that was so brutal I would ride it standing on the pegs.
View attachment 5860
I can't see anything wrong with this road. Which part of the UK did you say it was? 馃槈 馃槀

Reactions: Fastfred

Registered
You fellas in the UK have those speed cameras, (gatsos?), seemingly everywhere? That would curtail my speeding as well.
You can have no idea how RUDDY annoying it is.

Admittedly I left the UK in 1990, but the last few years I have become more and more aware on my trips "home" of cameras and speed restrictions EVERYWHERE. Worst of all are the AVERAGE SPEED systems. And then - just to make life interesting VARIABLE speed limits. That said - there are routes I used to love that now have so much bleedin' traffic on that reaching (never mind exceeding) a limit is nigh on impossible. Makes riding/driving WAY LESS enjoyable or relaxing.

Here you can suddenly find a speed cam on some weird deserted stretch of road for no reason at all - though most seem to get mistaken for deer by local hunters ;). So they now use helicopters. Usually though other road users will alert you to their presence somehow.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have a look at a map of West Dorset. The area has no motorways, few dual carriageways and lots of narrow, high hedged lanes with gravel on apexes and wet leaves under trees.
Some more wonderful across the pond descriptors. "Motorways, Dual Carriageways, and High hedged lanes. Love it!

Over here it's just plane old highways and roads.

Curious do Hedgehogs hang out in the high hedged lanes?

Hedgehog Erinaceidae Nature Daytime Natural environment

a d m i n .
You can have no idea how RUDDY annoying it is.

Admittedly I left the UK in 1990, but the last few years I have become more and more aware on my trips "home" of cameras and speed restrictions EVERYWHERE. Worst of all are the AVERAGE SPEED systems. And then - just to make life interesting VARIABLE speed limits. That said - there are routes I used to love that now have so much bleedin' traffic on that reaching (never mind exceeding) a limit is nigh on impossible. Makes riding/driving WAY LESS enjoyable or relaxing.

Here you can suddenly find a speed cam on some weird deserted stretch of road for no reason at all - though most seem to get mistaken for deer by local hunters ;). So they now use helicopters. Usually though other road users will alert you to their presence somehow.
While living in Spain for a year, I didn't drive, (metro & buses got me most everywhere), are their Speed cams there as well?

Registered
Same here, what I really like is acceleration and braking. In my area the police would let us go up to 120k/75m on highway, above That you鈥檙e asking for problems. Still when going on an highway ramp (with a warm engine)if it is clear and i have space with no body in my way i push it to 180/200k 112/124m (witch is quick) then let go. I would never pass a car going fast as I鈥檝e seen many times people didn鈥檛 see me and cut my way, lucky me i was able to escape every time. However since I鈥檓 coming back home from work at 1am every day there is no traffic so i did pushed it 2 or 3 times in a selected area, got it up to 225k / 140m then let it go. Up until 200k the bike behave great but at 220+ in my case I can fell that the bike isn鈥檛 as solid and if I move on the bike i get some tiny wobbling. Obviously light naked bike aren鈥檛 for top speed ! So after 22 years on the road in order to be able to go fast safely and legally i finally did my level 1 track class witch is mandatory to do track days here. I loved it so much !!! I can鈥檛 wait for next summer to go back on tracks.

Registered
I'm kind of in between on this, Sure the acceleration is great and the handling for me is spot on, but on my way to work which is mostly twisty with few stop lights, there is a section that just begs for the speed run, mind you there aren't any streets crossing it and no homes so no cars backing out, redlined in 5th had it reading 125 but my GPS said 120. I jump on the fwy for the last mile and a half a just before my offramp is another good spot to boost it up and in 6th gear my speedo read 130 before I shut her down and take the l o n g ass offramp . But yeah she has more in the tank I just pussed out.;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts