KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just how far can you ride once the computer says you have zero miles/kms left? I rode another 15kms home, looked in the tank and I could see a fair bit of fuel. Rode another 8 km to the fuel station and filled up. Question is how far could I have gone with a zero fuel readout?

·
A d m i n .
151,141 Posts
Just how far can you ride once the computer says you have zero miles/kms left? I rode another 15kms home, looked in the tank and I could see a fair bit of fuel. Rode another 8 km to the fuel station and filled up. Question is how far could I have gone with a zero fuel readout?
Let us know after you try it :grin:
Haaa!

I don't know if this is factual, (but I've always tried to live by it), they say it's best not to run your tank to zero. The thinking is the particles on the bottom have the potential to clog things up.

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
448 Posts
Pretty easy math if you wanna know a ballpark....

- 14L tank
- fuel light came on, you rode another 23kms
- how much fuel did the bike take when you refilled it? That'll tell you how close to dead empty you were and then based on your average km/L you can figure out how many more km's you could have ridden ie if you average 10km/L (high but just for comparison sakes) and you put in 12L, you had 2L left so you had 20kms range.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty easy math if you wanna know a ballpark....

- 14L tank
- fuel light came on, you rode another 23kms
- how much fuel did the bike take when you refilled it? That'll tell you how close to dead empty you were and then based on your average km/L you can figure out how many more km's you could have ridden ie if you average 10km/L (high but just for comparison sakes) and you put in 12L, you had 2L left so you had 20kms range.
I cannot see that method as working. Fuel light comes on with 50km remaining, so I assume you mean fuel reads zero.
Filling the bike is difficult with only a sidestand, and there is no guarantee that the fuel capacity is exactly 14 litres.
The best method I can think of (aside from running until completely out) is to run the bike to zero ensuring you are near home, disconnect the fuel line and then see how much of the remaining fuel the pump can pick up.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The exact "how far" will depend on yow you ride - and whether you have made engine mod's. Also depends how precise YOUR fuel level sensor is.

25kms past zero is about a litre of fuel based on my consumption (prior to fitting the COOBER). I seem to remember that when I last filled when I was on or near zero (and that was months ago) - the Tank took a whisper over 12.5L. In a 14L tank - that means 1.5L left - If you'd done IL more you had approx 0.5L - maybe 12kms.

My golden rule for the last 40 years has been - "Unless you know exactly where fuel is, have 1/3rd of a tank available". Fuel these days tends to be cleaner - but I have had to clear enough fuel filters to cure me of risking shyte in injectors.

If you often need to ride on the limit - If you ride solo - you could consider a 2L RackPack tank or similar. I doubt I'll ever use my 790D for distance runs - but if I move to the ADV then I'll be looking at that idea, even though they have bigger tanks.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
I typically fill up with one bar left. I don't push it. In a pinch though one time, I went about 30 miles after the last bar was gone and still had a bit left. I was a real pvssy with throttle though....

·
Registered
415 Posts
KTM tanks quite often hold more than the specs state. i ran my 1290 bone dry and put in 18.9 litres in a 18 litre tank. best way is to run the bike dry. I regularly do a 220 km loop, theres no gas stations on my back road loop, i have a 3 litre bladder, and took it on my 800cc MV, it ran dry at 185 kms. (12 litres of fuel) i also took the 3 litre bladder on the 790, but it made it all the way home where it took 12 litres. So 12 litres did 220 kms of 3rd 4th and 5th gear back road riding. impressive fuel economy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lol - the most I've ever squeezed in is 11.8L after an indicated 177 mile trip (284 km) - I use trip 1 for fuel, and trip 2 between services - I think there must have been be a couple of litres left in there each time I fill up.

Though I don't thrash it that much and am really impressed by the economy you can get out of this bike - think my long-term average is around 79 mpg indicated.

I'm not hanging about, just not racing through all the gears constantly.

·
136 Posts
DMA, that's really impressive. I don't use the bike's consumption number. I calculate the mileage on each tank. I generally get around 50 mpg. I thought that was remarkable.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ah yes - both 8 pints, but the UK pint is 20 fl oz while the US one is 16 fl oz

Times my numbers but 0.8 (from 16/20) to get the US numbers...

UK - 79 miles/Imperial gallon
US - 63 miles/US gallon

Thanks for pointing this out @barbagris

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
DMA, that's really impressive. I don't use the bike's consumption number. I calculate the mileage on each tank. I generally get around 50 mpg. I thought that was remarkable.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I get the same (50 MPG), which is awesome enough for me!

·
Registered
140 Posts
As someone who ran out of fuel the other week. I can tell you once the light is on you have between 26 and 36km
If you ride like me
in the city.

Basically i get to work and home and back again with the light on.
but not home again :0(

There is a theory that running the tank empty isn't good for it as it sucks all the crap in it but this doesn't really make sense. The drain on the tank will be at the bottom, so it's always sucking the crap. Though i guess you could make the argument that it won't suck the floating bits.

Personally i think running the fuel pump dry is a worse thing than crappy bits in the fuel (that the filter will get anyway).

Also, yes the Duke 790 is amazingly light for its class. It was still an arse to push up the hill!

·
136 Posts
I read an article some time ago that a serious issue with running the tank dry had to do with the injectors. The issue was related to them closing without the normal cushion of fuel. The metal-on-metal contact could result in damage to the mating surfaces of the injectors and result in less than optimal fueling.

I don't recall any discussion of how long it would take for the damage to occur.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fuel tried and true

I cannot see that method as working. Fuel light comes on with 50km remaining, so I assume you mean fuel reads zero.
Filling the bike is difficult with only a sidestand, and there is no guarantee that the fuel capacity is exactly 14 litres.
The best method I can think of (aside from running until completely out) is to run the bike to zero ensuring you are near home, disconnect the fuel line and then see how much of the remaining fuel the pump can pick up.
I have run my 790 from FULL to no more go twice , first time =370 km with measured refill being 13.6 ltrs ,second time 360 km 13.65 ltrs , both times were a combo of 30% city and 70% highway travel ,60 kph city and from 80 to 110 kph highway .
After low fuel indicated with 1 bar on gauge showing I traveled a further 60k /70k before she no go anymore.
Roymans

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried to push this to the limit yesterday. Once the bike went to 0 miles to empty, I was able to ride 17 miles and it ran out completely and shut off. Luckily I was near a gas station. One thing I have noticed is that there is a fluctuation from tank to tank. I thought it would've been more consistent being fuel injection.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts