KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil change yesterday and there was quite a bit of metal on both the magnets,however the location of the magnets and the nature of them couldn’t figure out how to remove the shavings. How do y’all do it?
Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have not done an oil and filter change on my 790 but on my last KTM SMT it was a case of wiping of anything from the magnets with a clean lint free cloth which should remove any metal residue.
The hand book (which you should have) shows the oil screens magnets.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not done an oil and filter change on my 790 but on my last KTM SMT it was a case of wiping of anything from the magnets with a clean lint free cloth which should remove any metal residue.
The hand book (which you should have) shows the oil screens magnets.
Yes but as you can see they’re recessed and hard to get at,and little pieces of metal aren’t easily removed from a magnets grasp. Enter my dilemma

·
a d m i n .
151,023 Posts
Anyone have a clue? I had a similar set up with the two screens on my former 2 Husky 510 & 511 SMR's, forget how I cleaned them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just did my oil the other day and I used Q-tips to clean out the magnets. It took about 5 minutes per magnet, since it's a bit of a pain to access. Cleaning the mesh screens is also super tedious. I'm planning to replace those parts yearly for sure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wipe them down as best you can and either replace the screens or put them back in. Not a big deal unless we’re talking more than a few little chips and slivers.

There is an oil change kit which includes filter, seal, and 2 new screen assemblies.

I did the 600 mile change and put them back in after cleaning as well as I can with q-tips. I’ll do another oil change and swap out the screens at 2000 miles. That’s just how I like doing it, not that it’s better than any other way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just did my oil change. I used another magnet to pull off the fragments--just a magnet tool you keep in tool box for fetching a dropped wrench. It worked well as the metal fragments won't simply wipe off with q-tip. I used compressed air to blow debris first back towards the magnet

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nice one @Tellem'Ed - I was just going to say you just use a stronger magnet.

You can get really strong Neodymium magnets off Amazon in all shapes & sizes for cheap.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I did try a few different way for wiping, no luck ...... turned out to spray brake cleaner, results was instant cleaned off.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Anyone have a clue? I had a similar set up with the two screens on my former 2 Husky 510 & 511 SMR's, forget how I cleaned them.
dealer did first service so no idea if metal. I just did 5000 mile service and both of mine were clean with no metal and just oil residue. I blast with suspension cleaner. You might try a small pen style magnet to see if metal will attract to other magnet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did try a few different way for wiping, no luck ...... turned out to spray brake cleaner, results was instant cleaned off.
Are you saying the brake cleaner knocked the metal shavings out of the mesh, dissolved it, or what?

Also, should we thoroughly rinse and dry the screen before reinserting if we hit it with cleaner?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Are you saying the brake cleaner knocked the metal shavings out of the mesh, dissolved it, or what?

Also, should we thoroughly rinse and dry the screen before reinserting if we hit it with cleaner?
I If find it more effective then air, the liquid would push better on fine particles stuck in there, also the oil make these particles to stick so brake cleaner will dissolves oil and make everything to go away, same thing for the magnets.
Brake cleaner will evaporate pretty quickly so no need to rinse.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I If find it more effective then air, the liquid would push better on fine particles stuck in there, also the oil make these particles to stick so brake cleaner will dissolves oil and make everything to go away, same thing for the magnets.
Brake cleaner will evaporate pretty quickly so no need to rinse.
Awesome, thanks for the tip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts