KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil change yesterday and there was quite a bit of metal on both the magnets,however the location of the magnets and the nature of them couldn’t figure out how to remove the shavings. How do y’all do it?
Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have not done an oil and filter change on my 790 but on my last KTM SMT it was a case of wiping of anything from the magnets with a clean lint free cloth which should remove any metal residue.
The hand book (which you should have) shows the oil screens magnets.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not done an oil and filter change on my 790 but on my last KTM SMT it was a case of wiping of anything from the magnets with a clean lint free cloth which should remove any metal residue.
The hand book (which you should have) shows the oil screens magnets.
Yes but as you can see they’re recessed and hard to get at,and little pieces of metal aren’t easily removed from a magnets grasp. Enter my dilemma

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just did my oil the other day and I used Q-tips to clean out the magnets. It took about 5 minutes per magnet, since it's a bit of a pain to access. Cleaning the mesh screens is also super tedious. I'm planning to replace those parts yearly for sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wipe them down as best you can and either replace the screens or put them back in. Not a big deal unless we’re talking more than a few little chips and slivers.

There is an oil change kit which includes filter, seal, and 2 new screen assemblies.

I did the 600 mile change and put them back in after cleaning as well as I can with q-tips. I’ll do another oil change and swap out the screens at 2000 miles. That’s just how I like doing it, not that it’s better than any other way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts