KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep my 790D in the North Carolina mountains. I am here for two weeks and have been able to get a lot of good rides in on my new bike. The dealer closes for two weeks during Christmas, including next week. I am now at 900 miles and will probably put on another 100-200 miles before they open again. Is 1,100 miles before your first service a big deal (the bike certainly thinks so as much as it's fussing at me)?

rickdm

·
Super-Moderator
'20 890R
442 Posts
I certainly wouldn't sweat that little overage - just ignore that dash warnings, keep the rpm to a manageable level, and there won't be any issues.

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts
I honestly changed my oil early on, around 350 miles then had it done again at the first service. A oil change is simple enough, if you are worried just do it yourself quick, it won't hurt.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Not the end of the world. Change it when you get to it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just changed mine at 450 miles .. to Motul 300V
Gee Steve Motul 300V is a race engine oil with a very short life span, pretty expensive oil for a road bike. My bike shop warn't me against using that stuff in a road bike, and especially low rev ceiling twins. But if you have money to burn and don't mind changing oil every 3000kms use it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just changed mine at 450 miles .. to Motul 300V
Gee Steve Motul 300V is a race engine oil with a very short life span, pretty expensive oil for a road bike. My bike shop warn't me against using that stuff in a road bike, and especially low rev ceiling twins. But if you have money to burn and don't mind changing oil every 3000kms use it.
I agree on that 300v and since we all have fairly new bike most likely still under warranty, there is a few things to do to help the dealer. 1st they recommend Motorex 10w50 witch is good synthetic oil by me. 2nd the owner manual says 15000km(9300mi) interval..... ouf as a long time mechanic i can’t agree !! Yes the synthetic oil will keep its performance and won’t degrade vs mineral. But ANY engine will produce dust/debris witch the filter SHOULD be keeping!!! That is NOT the case( otherwise it wouldn’t get dark!! ). So all depends on your riding style(this can be discussed), to me it should be in between 3000 to 6000 km MAX. 3rd one more thing to keep in mind is the oil capacity. I’ve done oil change on motocross (1 litre )up to huge tractors( 20+ litres ) so 1 litre in an 14000rpm vs 20+ litres in an 1800rpm engine won’t last the same. The 790 has a 2.8l carter, not much to me .... so i think we should keep ours maintenance short. As GLantern says it is simple to do if you have the facilities for. 4th keep your recipes.

And don’t get too worry about that first one, but still don’t push it too much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Let's remember one thing on OEM recommended oil: They are paid by the oil company to promote their product.

I use Motul in my MX bike and it's never let me down.

As for 300V, yes it's pricey. But, I will take me a >year to reach 2500 miles as I just get enough time to ride.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The KTM shop that does my servicing uses motorex or motul, just not V300 in twins. Ive used motul in my Multistrada since new (82,000kms now) never needed any valve adjustment 5100 15w50 i use 8100 in my 1290GT 10w60 40,000kms, so far I've only put motorex in the 790 at 4000km intervals, and thats with track days thrown in, i think its an ok oil.

·
Registered
57 Posts
One little thing I've noticed with this bike, is that the oil looks like new, both on the showroom floor and after a few rides. Which is quite unlike the new Japanese 600s that I've had in the past.
This would suggest that these engines may have been bench run pretty thoroughly, most likely on mineral oil. I've never known new engines to like full synth.

For that reason I won't be doing any extra changes before 1000km

1 - 11 of 11 Posts