KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I live in Sydney, Australia.
I commute to work with a 20-30 minute run in city traffic.
I am on the bike in all weathers.
On rainy days, I was wearing this giant green condom of a thing, but it has started leaking at the crotch (and only at the crotch) making for an uncomfortable (for everyone) day at work.

I was at the dealer for yet another warranty fix and noticed some ok looking waterproof pants (trousers to you uk'ers).
KTM Rain Pants ⋆ Motorcycles R Us
I thought they looked pretty good
I use a Dianese City Hunter jacket which i think has a waterproof liner, which i've never tried. but i'm concerned about water sneaking in between the jacket and pant.

i'm after suggestions of things that will:
keep me dry
not immediately boil me in the humid heat
not be toooo expensive (it doesn't rain very often in sydney).

·
Registered
67 Posts
How about a change of clothes in a dry bag?

You are asking for a unicorn. Cheap, breathable, waterproof and cool riding gear. It doesn't exist.

If cheap is included, pick any one of the other 3 options. If cheap isn't included you can have 2 of the other 3.

I know you pride yourselves on having some seriously weird animals in Australia (kangaroo, wombat, David Warner etc), but I don't recall you having unicorns. Good luck in your hunt.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Best I've used has been Klim. Unlined Traverse jacket with massive underarm vents. Same goes for the Badlands pants. But cheap they ain't.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ming and Bristolsaint,
Yes, i guess i was a bit vague on the cost. I wear dianese and dragon on my normal days so understand that 'good' does not intersect with 'cheap' often.
Too expensive is where the rain gear (that i'll only wear a handful of days a year) are more expensive than my every day gear.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks Ming and Bristolsaint,
Yes, i guess i was a bit vague on the cost. I wear dianese and dragon on my normal days so understand that 'good' does not intersect with 'cheap' often.
Too expensive is where the rain gear (that i'll only wear a handful of days a year) are more expensive than my every day gear.
@magnets I likewise feel your 'Sydney' pain with respect to keeping the rain out but not sweating it out on the inside. I don't ride the Duke to work but I do a short commute on a scooter. I have 2 options for pants a relatively cheap Rjays pair of overpants which velcro around the heels. I carry these under my seat and they are pretty much OK in most rain but you can get some 'pooling' in the seat area if its really chucking it down and a second heavier pair of waterproof overpants from an outdoor store (cheaper than Motorcycle stores) which have the added benefit of zipping from heel to waist so really easy to get on and off. I only use these for full on rainy days. Both are OK from a heat perspective. The jacket is harder because any waterproofing obviously stops venting. I use a spray jacket that I put on over regular gear so that I can unzip it if the rain stops and get some air going or just take it off. As I said its a short commute so all this is manageable. I also have some really good RST textiles with internal linings that breath really well. I saved about $150 on the local purchase price of the jacket and pants even after shipping them from the UK. This is the pant. The jacket and pants zip together as well which reduces leakage . I have ridden in the rain in summer and its a good balance but that was on the open road and not commuting with the heat of the Duke building between my legs at every traffic light!! The internal lining is waterproof, windproof and insulating.

·
Super Moderator
167 Posts
I'm a big fan of my Aerostich Roadcrafter. Expensive but you can put it on and off in a few seconds. I commuted for 3 years with it through all weather conditions. The BMW/adventure crew swears by them. \

·
Super Moderator
167 Posts
Same- I bought mine in 2009, so it's 11 years old. Only got 3 years of daily duty though, the rest of the time been hanging in the closet due to being stationed in places I couldn't use it (Hawaii, Miami, etc). Can't wait to use it more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How about a change of clothes in a dry bag?

You are asking for a unicorn. Cheap, breathable, waterproof and cool riding gear. It doesn't exist.

If cheap is included, pick any one of the other 3 options. If cheap isn't included you can have 2 of the other 3.

I know you pride yourselves on having some seriously weird animals in Australia (kangaroo, wombat, David Warner etc), but I don't recall you having unicorns. Good luck in your hunt.
Hey, well done on the Dave Warner mention. A lot of Australians wouldn't know who he is now but I, of course, am just a suburban boy. I have read a couple of his post music-career novels and they were a good read. Cheers,

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone, I have cheaped out and bought a cheap pair of rjays 'gortex style' rain two piece. A couple of people i know swear by them for the money so we shall see.
This is the exact product

https://www.mcas.com.au/shop/item/rjays-vector-jacket
Rjays Vector Pants STOUT FITTING | Motorcycle Accessories Supermarket

the roadcrafters look excellent...but i could also get a nice set of leathers for the price!
It's surprising to see there isn't much midrange prices in wet weathers. like around the $600 for a set...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts