KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I changed mine as I did on my Triumph Tiger 1050, Husqvarna 501 local Auto store has a good one plus fair price.
Husqvarna is best having a real horn.
Will try and post picture later.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hmmm... I don't think I've ever used the horn, on this bike or many others I've had.
tbh the only reason I have a horn fitted on most is because the law says I have to. It is however nice to have one that scares the daylights of the test inspectors :grin:

One thing to be wary of - most aftermarket horns of any power require more amps. You may need to add a relay into the equation to avoid popping a fuse when you least want to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed mine as I did on my Triumph Tiger 1050, Husqvarna 501 local Auto store has a good one plus fair price.
Husqvarna is best having a real horn.
Will try and post picture later.
That is a very neat workshop you have there.
So what is the type of horn you have fitted there. Was it a straight in like for like replacement?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at a FIAMM AM80SX, which appears to draw 6 amp. Does anyone know what current the stock horn draws and if the electrics will handle 6 A?

·
Registered
140 Posts
i'm interested in this one also. The factory horn on the bike is equivalent to the one on my kids ride on car.

·
Registered
843 Posts
If I upgrade I would use the same beasts I have on the R3. STEBEL MAGNUM - a pair. These draw 6A each.

But imo - there is no reason at all to risk OEM wiring when relays are so cheap. If size worries you then look here https://motogadget.com/shop/en/m-relay-std-12v-20a.html - it is a simple old fashioned relay. Personally I would knock something up with something more run of the mill, but bigger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts