KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - here is my thought process.

Despite raising the bars and lowering the pegs - I'd still like to sit more upright on longer runs. Hand/feet/bum relation is OK, but I'd just like to rotate more upright.

Obvious option is an ADV - And it is very much an option. But it involves more money than I feel happy with - simply because I cannot decide which ADV.

Then I saw this photo

A 790ADV converted to SUPERMOTARD (17" rims front and rear). Now This thought appeals - it's upright but has road wheels/tyres (I will NOT be going offroad)

I honestly think it would be easy-ish to create a 790Duke-Motard. Basically (yes I know it's not THAT simple) - just needs longer forks.
No messing about with ABS tone rings. Sure the rake/trail would alter, but lazier might be better for longer hauls.

Thoughts? - I'm going to chat with a local KTM tech who builds Dakar racers. But not until it is warm enough to ride over.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not sure I understand ...
Installing longer forks will raise the front quite a bit (head angle) and the handling will definitely suffer .... unless you install clip-ons at the top of these longer forks ! You will be seating upright and maintain the bike geometry :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure I understand ...
Installing longer forks will raise the front quite a bit (head angle) and the handling will definitely suffer .... unless you install clip-ons at the top of these longer forks ! You will be seating upright and maintain the bike geometry :)
It would indeed be less Scalpel like - But should still be agile enough with 17" rims. Will pop to see a mate with a 1050 Sport tomorrow. Will be taking some measurements. If I knew anybody with a 790/890ADV I'd already be pestering them and offering beer.

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to start with tre ADV and convert to Super-Motard? Will probably end up with a better balanced machine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you knew the length of the Adv forks, I suppose you could do a mock-up in your garage by putting a block of wood under the front tyre. Distance between the triples might be good to check is the same or similar, too, and then how much you could finesse the pull-through.

Another option is more bar rise. ATV bends are a common option for big rise, often as an alternative to bar risers. Maybe do both?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wouldn't it be easier to start with tre ADV and convert to Super-Motard? Will probably end up with a better balanced machine.
It would be a HELL OF A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE. Apart from the bike itself.
Be almost cheaper to buy an old 990SMT than convert an ADV.

If I had an ADV I would probably go to 19/17
Cut and paste from a web page
The good news is that wheels are 100% compatible with 1050/1090/1190/1290 KTM adventure models. The 1090 Adventure R uses exactly the same sizes as the 790 Adventure for example. The cast alloy wheels of a 1050 Adventure (3.0 x 19″ & 4.5 x 17″) will also bolt right on. Even the 1290 SA size (3.50 x 19″ & 5.00 x 17″) fit just fine, but they are probably over the top for the little 790.

·
Super Moderator
1,586 Posts
Man you keep trying to convert the duke into a sofa, might as well get an ADV as that's what they are pretty much designed as.
Very well said... LOL...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Man you keep trying to convert the duke into a sofa, might as well get an ADV as that's what they are pretty much designed as.
To a point, and I did read early Duke pre-release reviews that implied there would be no Duke GT type of thing because the Adv would fill that gap. But the Adv chassis is quite a bit more lazy with it's long legs and big wheels.

If the Adventure standard had 19/17" wheels that would be closer to and a more intermediate step between the Adv R and the Duke. As much as I loved my 1190 Adv standard, the front 19" always felt slightly wonky on the tarseal (axle / wheel pivot point too high) coming from a 17/17" sportstourer, and too wide and short on the dirt for good control and bump rollover. The 790 Adv standard with the 21/18" wheels was a blessing for many since it wasn't compromised on the dirt.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To a point, and I did read early Duke pre-release reviews that implied there would be no Duke GT type of thing because the Adv would fill that gap. But the Adv chassis is quite a bit more lazy with it's long legs and big wheels.

If the Adventure standard had 19/17" wheels that would be closer to and a more intermediate step between the Adv R and the Duke. As much as I loved my 1190 Adv standard, the front 19" always felt slightly wonky on the tarseal (axle / wheel pivot point too high) coming from a 17/17" sportstourer, and too wide and short on the dirt for good control and bump rollover. The 790 Adv standard with the 21/18" wheels was a blessing for many since it wasn't compromised on the dirt.
That there sums it up. I want the 17" wheels. I have NOT tried an 790/890ADV yet - but other bikes with 19" or 21" fronts do NOT react as I'd like on tarmac. And I won't be riding off tarmac ever (by choice) - But if there was an 8c ADV-S with 19/17 - it would be a better start. I can deal with a little bit more lazy (actually on long highway runs it would be a benefit) - but not (i suspect) full blown ADV lazy.
Raising the bars more will not resolve the forward slope on the seat - sure a new seat might resolve this a bit.
There ARE however now rumours again of an 8c based GT. Seemingly more timed around the Euro6 engines.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the weather cooperates - I am going to see my KTM contact tomorrow. Also depends how I react to COVID JAB 3 today.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That there sums it up. I want the 17" wheels. I have NOT tried an 790/890ADV yet - but other bikes with 19" or 21" fronts do NOT react as I'd like on tarmac. And I won't be riding off tarmac ever (by choice)
That’s why Triumph were quite clever some years ago when they released the 1050 Tiger Sport in 17/17”. Many riders wanted the ergos of the adventure bikes but the sharper sportier handling of the smaller wheels for purely road use.

There ARE however now rumours again of an 8c based GT. Seemingly more timed around the Euro6 engines.
Not sure how much of that is wishful thinking of journos seeing that magic 990 number again and pining for the beloved SMT, and test mule disguising by KTM.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I represent that group it seems. Sadly KTM don't understand me - <snif>
Seems like Triumph do/did. It was the initial 1050 Tiger in 2007 that I was thinking of, later called the Sport from the 2013 update. Here's confirmation of your outlook from Triumph back then:

In March 2013, Simon Warburton, Triumph’s Product Manager, told MCN: "Even though the Tiger 1050 is the oldest bike in our range now, there are still people buying it, albeit not anywhere near the numbers it sold before, so we thought there’s still space for it. It is a little bit of a gamble and we could’ve discontinued it, but we thought they’d still be people looking for an all-rounder without the off-road connotations.

"The Tiger Sport is for people who are after an all-round bike they can use for work, holiday, take the missus out, or just go out for a ride to enjoy. You can ride in a sportier manner than you can on our other Tigers – I guess the Tiger Sport is for people caught between a Speed Triple and an Explorer.

Source: Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport (2013-2021) review | MCN (motorcyclenews.com)

Substitute Duke for Speed Triple, and Adventure for Explorer, et voila! Just what you need.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems like Triumph do/did.
So do Benelli - but they underestimate my "need" for bhp.
I don't think the 1050 Tiger was ever sold here and afaik the KTM1050 did not do well. There is a tax jump at 1000cc here and it's a BIG one. 100% more than a 999cc.
Was off to see my KTM tech - he'd know if it's doable and how easy(or not). But received an alert - he has just tested C19 positive - Thus isolated.
So I'll have to be patient - This is a challenge.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But received an alert - he has just tested C19 positive - Thus isolated.
So this is the sign you are a valued customer. The Tech sent me an e-mail despite being very poorly.

He knows exactly what I am after and does not know if the forks can be done, though suspects it could be quite simple - he suggested I try a custom seat first. This should stop me rolling forward which is the point.

Nonetheless - his interest is piqued. I got the feeling he'd prefer to start with an 790ADV-SM though. He suggested that exactly the changes to the 890ADV engine might mean it's not a great SM.

Stage one will be to drop the FRONT wheels out of an ADV and a Duke and see it the wheels (axles) are interchangeable - coz as he said this would also make doing the SM a lot easier/cheaper.
Rear should be fairly simple - but may require a custom caliper bracket.

I have to be a bit cautious what I say - he does work for a KTM dealer but (and known to them) does <ahem> unsanctioned stuff like remapping.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts