KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

Registered
I began riding motorcycles back in the 60's. Bikes back then were not nearly as reliable as today's machines.

Bikes had monikers back then like, Blow-taco and Maico-breako.

The British bikes leaked oil and had junk electrics, but were fast, decent handling and fun to ride.

Motor bikes today are super reliable. I know several guys who will regularly put 80k plus miles on their bike before selling it.

So my advice to all high mileage worry warts...just ride and enjoy the damn thing. Worrying about your bike blowing up is about as productive as worrying about the where abouts of the grim reaper. We are all gonna check out some day and worrying about it will not accomplish a thing.

Almost forgot. I am right at 5700 miles/smiles on my 2020 790. The only problem was the leaky counter shaft seal. SKF solved that issue for me.
30k, not one issue that was not fixed at first service. Some of the 790 adventure riders on sites like Adv rider have way more than this. Anyone who is that worried needs to just go buy a Honda and be bored sh..less馃榾

Registered
My 790 just rolled 12,000kms (it's a 2019 I picked up this Jan with 1900kms on it) and no issues. not exactly high mileage yet. My Scrambler, 675 and RSV4 are in the mid 30,000's with my GSXR at 72,000 and my 848 at 101,000. Apparently putting 101,000k's on a Ducati 848 is considered a feat!! Only issues it had were radiator replaced at 18,000 due to known problem and replacing the TPS every 45,000k's. Other than that it was belt/valves and oil changes and lots and lots of exercise!!

Registered
My 2018 has done 18,000 kms but I have not ridden much since beginning of 2020 due to multiple Covid lockdowns, also have another KTM which requires riding or else she sulks.

Neglible problems, minor coolant leak fixed in 2 mins by tightening the hose, minor sump leak that went away by itself, countershaft seal fixed by myself in 30 mins, blown front disk brake piston needed new seal fixed by myself.

Yes I've had several MINOR problems but no worse than any of the 40 or so Japanese bike I've owned. The most unreliable bike I ever owned was a Honda Varadero.

Registered
I thought it might be interesting to see who has been putting a lot of miles/kilometers onto their new 790
Has anyone done more than 10000 kilometers/6250 miles?
How has the bike stood up to this?

Mine has almost 4000 miles showing and it will not be doing much <1000 miles over the next 4 months
I have 18,000 miles on my 2021 890 Duke R, 8 months old. No problems, just eats up a lot of rear tires!!

Registered
All the people that rack up the miles must be out riding! My 790 Adventure clocked 16,000 km in the first 9 months.

One of the 790 Dukes on my shopping list has 71,000 km but it鈥檚 at a dealer a day鈥檚 ride away so I haven鈥檛 seen it in the flesh. Looks almost original except for an aftermarket cam chain tensioner. Rear axle is all the way back in the adjusters so I suspect the second chain and sprocket set is kaput. The dealer hasn鈥檛 responded to my questions yet, so I know nothing else about it.

TBH the mileage doesn鈥檛 scare me, just the price for that mileage. He鈥檚 asking the same money as the 30,000 km bikes with new tyres, up-to-date servicing, and a few goodies.

Super Moderator
8,500 miles (13,500 km) and so far, so good. Nothing major.

Registered
22,000 km and not a single issue. When l had cat delete pipe it would do weird startup revving. Mechanically stock except for booster plug. Never had a bike that feels like it鈥檚 on rails like the 790

41 - 50 of 50 Posts