KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd join up and make myself known. Bikes on order and should be here in week or two through Mac's Motorcycles here in Guernsey. This the very first KTM i've ever owned and don't know why its taken so long to own one. Bought an MT10 but found it too intimidating on an island such as hours so traded it in for the 790 Duke. No regrets there. Got a few extras with it so will post up pics when its on the road. All i can tell you at the mo is it's Black/Silver with an Akro, Engine bars, Heated grips, bar end mirrors and flyscreen. :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thought I'd join up and make myself known. Bikes on order and should be here in week or two through Mac's Motorcycles here in Guernsey. This the very first KTM i've ever owned and don't know why its taken so long to own one. Bought an MT10 but found it too intimidating on an island such as hours so traded it in for the 790 Duke. No regrets there. Got a few extras with it so will post up pics when its on the road. All i can tell you at the mo is it's Black/Silver with an Akro, Engine bars, Heated grips, bar end mirrors and flyscreen. :)
Welcome - may I enquire - which engine bars?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
KTM themselves. Won't be using to run around like a muppet but going to turn it into a type of urban scrambler. Sort of more of a practical use with a twist. Need some Dual Sport or semi off road tyres next, and handguards. Its going to be something between what it is and and an adventure without being one...............get what i mean.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to have you here in the group, John. Is there a rebate on the '19's in Europe as well?
Not sure what you mean about a rebate but £500 worth of power parts thrown in on the deal.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Welcome John, to the best Duke 790 community out there.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Thought I'd join up and make myself known. Bikes on order and should be here in week or two through Mac's Motorcycles here in Guernsey.
G'day from NZ! I'm a recent convert to KTM too an certainly don't regret it! A bit overpowered for Guernsey perhaps 😁? I have a friend who owns tourist cottages in Grandes Roques. He rides a fully restored 1960's Triumph Speed Twin (all of 29 horses) and he swears that this is sufficient for the island 🤣.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
G'day from NZ! I'm a recent convert to KTM too an certainly don't regret it! A bit overpowered for Guernsey perhaps ��? I have a friend who owns tourist cottages in Grandes Roques. He rides a fully restored 1960's Triumph Speed Twin (all of 29 horses) and he swears that this is sufficient for the island ��.

Enjoy!
Hi Geoff, Who's your friend here in guernsey as might know him. And yes most would agree with the power thing for an island this size but their are few and far between that would follow his lead that's for sure. I've also got an MV Agusta and 1200GS in my garage ��

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the greetings. Will post some pics when the bike arrives hopefully next week and can find a calm day to pick it up. At the mo we've got howling winds and squally showers. Not the best time of year to be buying new but I do use my bikes day to day for work.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Hi Geoff, Who's your friend here in guernsey as might know him. And yes most would agree with the power thing for an island this size but their are few and far between that would follow his lead that's for sure. I've also got an MV Agusta and 1200GS in my garage ��
Hi John,

His name is Nick McPhail. He and his wife Irene own some seaside cottges - Mas Des Sables. They visited us in NZ last December. They are having major civil work done on their property at present so you wouldn't miss it! I used to drag race with his brother when I lived in the UK more years ago than I care to remember :plain:

An MV eh? Does it ever get out of second gear?:grin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi folks, picked up the bike today in this bloody drizzle, yuk. At least I didn’t have far to go and hosed it down as soon as I got home. Really frustrating as wanted to take its round the island but wet roads and brand new tyres don’t mix. Still, got it home safe thats the main thing. I’ll post up some pics when I’m out and about hopefully next weekend.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Hi folks, picked up the bike today in this bloody drizzle, yuk. At least I didn’t have far to go and hosed it down as soon as I got home. Really frustrating as wanted to take its round the island but wet roads and brand new tyres don’t mix. Still, got it home safe thats the main thing. I’ll post up some pics when I’m out and about hopefully next weekend.
I bought my bike in late autumn in NZ. The OEM tyres were ok whilst it was still relatively warm, even in the wet. However, in colder winter temperatures, particularly when it was wet, I couldn't get enough heat into them. After losing the front end on one corner (stayed on), I got rid of the Maxxis and put on sport touring tyres - T31's to be precise. No more problems. I ride in all temperatures and conditions so sport touring tyres whatever the brand made sense.

Take care!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts