KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - been lurking a while since I got my 790 a couple of months ago.

Great to be here

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome.
How much did you pay out the door for your 790?
Any plans for modifications and/or accessories in the coming months??

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I traded my R1200GS (2011 model) - tidy - got £500-£1000 more than I expected from a dealer.

List price was £8499 back then in the height of summer, less my trade-in.

Just few farkles so far ...

I've replaced the rear seat cushion with a SW-Motech seatrack and installed a Givi tankring on it so have a Givi bag on the back - more info here: https://www.790dukeforum.com/forum/586-790-duke-aftermarket-parts-accessories/1260-pillion-luggage-rack.html

I recently added the PP foldable levers as they can adjusted really short which I like - much shorter that the OEM ones, especially the clutch.

I have the PP windshield to cut down on wind blast and the PP engine case protectors - not sure how much protection they would really provide but they add a little orange bling (my bike is black) - currently thinking about engine/frame crash bobbins - expensive EVO-tech (two bolts) or simple one bolt job.

Also got the PP tank protector grips to stop the tank getting scratched (mostly, though they look great) and some EVOTech spindle bobbins front and back.

I tapped the ACC1 power front and rear with some waterproof SAE pigtails from ebay that I made up and wrapped in loom tape for power. The rear lives under the seat until I need it, the front sits under the handlebar risers.

Bought an Optimate SAE-USB adapter to plug in to these when I need it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K86F6JK/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_2

... this is great because it detects when the then engine is running - when stopped it supplies power for 3 hours then switches off so no battery drain.

My phone can go in a QuadLock fitted case and attach to the handlebars (so below the dash) - it gets power via a stubby 6 inch rubbery USB cable to the Optimate.

That's it for now - seems a lot but did it over the last two months a bit at a time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nearly forgot - knew there was something else - I fitted the EVOtech radiator guard.

So easy to fit and looks awesome!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi dma and welcome as far as I know you are the only one to fit the power parts levers I am having a problem justifying the cost at £261 for a pair do you really think they are worth the cost ?

·
A d m i n .
151,133 Posts
Hi dma and welcome as far as I know you are the only one to fit the power parts levers I am having a problem justifying the cost at £261 for a pair do you really think they are worth the cost ?
I've seen a load of fotos on instagram with people who purchased them. Not something I can justify, but that's the beauty of customizing your bike, to your own specs. :smile_big:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, they are bl**dy expensive for what they are really aren't they?

You can get much cheaper pair for £80 on ebay and elsewhere - they have different adjustability though - the PP ones have turn screws like the OEM parts and the lever ends slide out after loosening the little bolt in the back of the levers. I have them on the shortest setting (2 finger clutch, 2 or 3 finger brake at most).

The cheaper parts all seem to use a lever to adjust the throw.

I do like them though - they fit the bike well and as my bike is black it added a little orange.

The break lever was more fiddly to fit than I imagined - thought you'd just undo the single bolt on each and swap the PP parts but both PP levers are just the lever part, not the piston follower / cable attachment that sits inside them.

On the brake you have to drift a collar out of the OEM brake (the main bolt runs through this) and reuse the original follower part. No problem really - clamp it in a vice and use a 7mm socket as a drift to get it out / back in.

The photos show the difference in size.

I personally think they should be half the price.

Attachments

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
Welcome dma, I thought I was done with my mods for the moment, but looking at those levers side by side, I may get myself and early Xmas present :grin:

I had a set of v-trec shorties on my last bike and do miss them

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank owl - I do really like them despite the outrageous price. I think they are milled from solid billets rather than cast.

I disassembled the folding parts once assembled to the bike to grease the joint (one squeaked a bit while folding up) - was an opportunity to set the torque just right on each.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I must admit after seeing the photos of your levers next to the standard ones you got my head in a spin. They are the best looking ones on the market. Looks like Santa might be busy.
I do know quite a lot of Brummies spin across to Aberystwyth sea front on Sunday's do you do that at all ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never done that yet - would be quite a ride out for me. Also, in my experience is usually raining *somewhere* in Wales!

I live south of Brum (near Stratford) so most of my rides are out into the Cotswolds - there are some lovely B roads here, perfect for the 790.

I went to the Normal Knight at Whichford last night - hundreds of interesting bikes and cars there at their regular meet-up - my photos don't really do it justice.

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
The photos show the difference in size.
Could one impose? - Photo of lever (clutch) pulled back against grip. They are silly expensive (and have ORANGE bits) but! the original levers are really great ergonomically. Just too **** long.

Just found some interesting looking Chinese ones for 20USD but - well - no.

The problem with the 790 is that all the specific adapter pieces are long so the generic levers are simply not able to be short.

Still think PUIG will be my solution but it is really hard to find a local dealer with stock. And the bloody things are made here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where abouts are you apart from the edge of insanity because I just managed to find somewhere here in the UK, literally just ordered the Puig stubby levers and the couldn't recommend the place enough!

·
Registered
13 Posts
[/quote] Madrid. Middle of Spain.[/QUOTE]

Can you not source locally they’re made there?!? If not the place i got them from do EU delivery they’re calle BR Special Tuning

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Could one impose? - Photo of lever (clutch) pulled back against grip. They are silly expensive (and have ORANGE bits) but! the original levers are really great ergonomically. Just too **** long.
No problem - I'll grab a photo for you tomorrow @barbagris.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts