KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Leftover 2018s, nice finds!

I was super happy to find a local leftover 2019, black of course.

I'm a little bummed though that there are leftovers. I'm glad I got mine (at a good price) but also bummed that they weren't all sold out. How can more people not know how awesome this bike is?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'm a little bummed though that there are leftovers. I'm glad I got mine (at a good price) but also bummed that they weren't all sold out. How can more people not know how awesome this bike is?
The initial price for this bike was too high for the specification but simply could not pass up a brand new one for $12k AUD ride away

·
Registered
16 Posts
Picked up a runout 2018 model at a bargain price this afternoon and loving it so far!
Welcome Fred :)

No wonder manufacturers are always wary of making something which is different, folks don't take kindly to such products.

In India, only a 100 units had come, and dealers were unable to sell it in a country as big as ours and with all major metro cities having a blooming superbike community.

Their arguments against this bike :
1) Looks bad/feels cheap, does not have the bulk to justify the price/is not premium enough
2) Only 2 cylinders when we can get the z900, gsx-s750, cbr650r, striple 765s
3) Only 105 bhp ?
4) Overpriced, KTM isn't considered a premium or SBK brand in India

There are some more ridiculous reasons but i will refrain from posting those as they don't add any value to this discussion.

So while i agree to some extent with a few points like fit and finish is definitely not up there but people are failing to look at this product for what it is as a whole.

Thanks to all this, the last few leftover bikes were sold at a massive 33% discount, i myself got mine at about 12-15% discount just a month before they decided to increase the discount to 33%, talk about bad timing xD

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome Fred :)

No wonder manufacturers are always wary of making something which is different, folks don't take kindly to such products.

In India, only a 100 units had come, and dealers were unable to sell it in a country as big as ours and with all major metro cities having a blooming superbike community.

Their arguments against this bike :
1) Looks bad/feels cheap, does not have the bulk to justify the price/is not premium enough
2) Only 2 cylinders when we can get the z900, gsx-s750, cbr650r, striple 765s
3) Only 105 bhp ?
4) Overpriced, KTM isn't considered a premium or SBK brand in India

There are some more ridiculous reasons but i will refrain from posting those as they don't add any value to this discussion.

So while i agree to some extent with a few points like fit and finish is definitely not up there but people are failing to look at this product for what it is as a whole.

Thanks to all this, the last few leftover bikes were sold at a massive 33% discount, i myself got mine at about 12-15% discount just a month before they decided to increase the discount to 33%, talk about bad timing xD
I've owned many powerful bikes but actually wanted to go back to something very light with another power to have fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've owned many powerful bikes but actually wanted to go back to something very light with another power to have fun.
That's exactly it, the lightness, the twin cylinder engine, all were purpose built to make this bike as flickable as possible while still having loads of power. People miss that completely and attribute to the parallel twin as a technical/developmental limitation.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's exactly it, the lightness, the twin cylinder engine, all were purpose built to make this bike as flickable as possible while still having loads of power. People miss that completely and attribute to the parallel twin as a technical/developmental limitation.
I learnt to ride on bikes like the RGV250 and VFR400R(NC30) so this has taken me right back there. I love big powerful bikes but you can barely use any of the bikes potential on the roads in Australia. Even the 790 is overkill to be honest with our super low speed limits and strict policing

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bought mine as my first "big" bike after passing my test, I wanted something light, with enough power and flickability to have fun but not so much I kill myself in the first week. To say I'm pleased is an understatement!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bought mine as my first "big" bike after passing my test, I wanted something light, with enough power and flickability to have fun but not so much I kill myself in the first week. To say I'm pleased is an understatement!
Perfect step up bike but also for experienced riders! More power doesn't always make you faster!

·
Registered
58 Posts
The initial price for this bike was too high for the specification but simply could not pass up a brand new one for $12k AUD ride away
I was tossing up between used Gsxr750, Speed triple, Street triple 765.
Im not a litre bike guy, although done plenty track days. Didnt want to drop huge money on something uncomfortable (gixxer) and wanted a good starting point for track days.
The Jap nakeds just arent really there yet, and I actually find KTMs build quality quite a bit better really. Ive had about 7 Jap bikes in a row since I last owned a KTM, so it was time for something Euro

1 - 16 of 16 Posts