KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
After a long time waiting, I have finally moved from my first bike Suzuki Bandit 650 to a 2019 Duke! Getting delivery of it Saturday and cannot be more excited!! My first new bike! I went for the black version.

I went out on a demo Duke today for the first time, and instantly feel in love with it! It's a absolute monster.

My only complaint is the seat is pretty hard and not used to such wide bars which has left me in stretch pains 馃槄. Reading on here people recommend the +20mm seat for a bit more comfort so I think I'll get that. And some Oxford heated grips. 馃檮 Also throttle is super sensitive, the best mode I found was track mode and turning throttle to street mode.

Anyways glad there is a forum and a cool bunch of people enjoying the bike.

P.s. is it possible to change my username to bhc?

Registered
Welcome - and congratulations on your new bike... I am biased but you chose the best colour. There's a lot of info and goodwill on here so welcome!

If you are tall enough then I think the +20 ergo seat could be a good improvement. That said I thought the standard seat seat was too firm at first and was considering a PP ergo seat but stuck with it and after riding the bike for 1500 miles can honestly say I've never been uncomfortable even on long days.

I find the ergonomics really good for me (pegs / seat / bars) but it's such a personal thing - it depends on you body geometry obviously. You can tweak the bars for rotation and position easily enough - I would say ride it and break it in and then see how you feel.

I'm sure JD can fix your username.

Registered
Hi Ben. I thought the stock seat was hard at first but l鈥檝e never had monkey-butt and l now really like it. Not armchair comfy like my previous Guzzis but quite alright. Give it a month or so before you upgrade. Welcome

Registered
My only complaint is the seat is pretty hard
It feels worse than it is. I find that if I pop out (to the shops for example) wearing standard streetwear (Craghoppers in my case) then you fell it. In proper bike gear (leather or lined/padded) then it's fine.

The PP seats are a different shape - wider - such that the -20mm lower seat actually reduces foot/floor contact compared to stock.

This shape and the different "springing" makes the difference - the +20 I think for many is also a case of ergonomics.

I am 5'8" and the stock seat is almost spot on - was I younger then I'd not have changed a thing. But this aging back has forced me to raise teh bars a bit and I'll drop the footrests a tad.

Registered
Hey man, just a tip for when you pick the bike up; track mode will be locked untill after the break in service. Rain mode has been the gentler mode I've found, and give the best fule economy, but doesn't feel too underpowered (I ripped it past a big Merc in rain mode and in the wet in Saturday with no issues so it definately a useable mode) 馃槃馃憤

Registered
Also, I'll agree the seat is a bit hard, but you will get used to it, and I've heard the PP seat doesn't really give as much support as you'd think, so maybe try the seat out for a while to see if you get used to it. The bars were good for me too, but I did find the levers a bit too long in the stock position so changing those to fit will help with amny arm/hand ache

1 - 7 of 7 Posts