KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, I wouldn't ride with anything but a known, name-brand helmet - and one from a manufacturer that has some involvement in racing, as well. Anything else is just not worth it, imho. I've pretty much always thought this, but particularly so now.

30-some years of riding, and fate finally caught up with me last month - a very bad accident. My Shoei, literally, saved my life. (Didn't save the 790, unfortunately.)

Totally understand that you're looking for feedback on a particular brand, and I don't mean to be "that guy" by coming here and wagging my finger about safety. But at the same time, I thought my experience might be good food for thought.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For what it's worth, I've been doing a fair bit of research myself (though, I'll probably just get another RF1200), and the Bell Race Star Flex gets a lot of thumbs up for exceptionally good ventilation.

·
a d m i n .
151,147 Posts
Many brands of helmets, paying more doesn’t guarantee anything, glad you made it out.

Pix of the bike? 😳

·
Registered
42 Posts
For what it's worth, I've been doing a fair bit of research myself (though, I'll probably just get another RF1200), and the Bell Race Star Flex gets a lot of thumbs up for exceptionally good ventilation.
the RF1200 is on my current list of possibilities for my next FF....along w/
Bell Star DLX or Flex
6D ATS-1R
AGV K5 & K6
HJC RPHA

I'm not in a hurry so when the time comes that I can test fit these options, I'll narrow it down. I want something that checks all the boxes for safety, visibility & ventilation options that's all-day comfortable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wasn't interested in making a thread about my crash, I was just trying to contribute a thought to the thread I originally posted these comments in. Basically, to say that while I understand the interest in different styles for helmets, and features like ventilation, "here's a friendly reminder not to forget their primary function".

If you think my comments in that thread were inappropriate, and you want to delete them, please feel free. You're the Admin.

Thanks for the well wishes.

·
a d m i n .
151,147 Posts
Wasn't interested in making a thread about my crash, I was just trying to contribute a thought to the thread I originally posted these comments in. Basically, to say that while I understand the interest in different styles for helmets, and features like ventilation, "here's a friendly reminder not to forget their primary function".

Thanks for the well wishes.
The other thread is about a member looking to purchase a specific brand of helmet. Read his first sentence.
That’s his topic.

Your topic is about surviving a crash, and how this particular helmet may have helped you.
That may be interesting to others, you earned your own thread.. 🤓

·
Registered
60 Posts
the RF1200 is on my current list of possibilities for my next FF....along w/
Bell Star DLX or Flex
6D ATS-1R
AGV K5 & K6
HJC RPHA

I'm not in a hurry so when the time comes that I can test fit these options, I'll narrow it down. I want something that checks all the boxes for safety, visibility & ventilation options that's all-day comfortable.
Make sure you try each of them in on store... I reeeeeally wanted a Bell Star with some orange to go with the KTM. They're my favourite shape and just love the way they look. Could not wear one comfortably for more than 60 seconds... The Medium was too large for my little head, but when I tried on the Small there were two spots on either side of my forehead (think where devil horns would grow from) that had immense pressure from the smaller shell. I was in no hurry to "modify" the polystyrene inside so I went with the RF1200 (NXR here in Australia).
It is not only built better than the Bell and has a softer lining but fit my head perfectly.
I spent a while selling helmets and we had so many people that would come in and just buy a helmet they liked the look of without trying them on. We would tell them repeatedly that helmets cannot be returned and a perfect fit is more important than looks, but most people didn't listen. Most of them would come back saying they couldn't ride for more than 20-30 minutes because the helmet was either too big and would move around, or too small and uncomfortable with pressure spots.
Make sure it fits, that is the 100% most important thing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Make sure you try each of them in on store... I reeeeeally wanted a Bell Star with some orange to go with the KTM. They're my favourite shape and just love the way they look. Could not wear one comfortably for more than 60 seconds... The Medium was too large for my little head, but when I tried on the Small there were two spots on either side of my forehead (think where devil horns would grow from) that had immense pressure from the smaller shell. I was in no hurry to "modify" the polystyrene inside so I went with the RF1200 (NXR here in Australia).
It is not only built better than the Bell and has a softer lining but fit my head perfectly.
I spent a while selling helmets and we had so many people that would come in and just buy a helmet they liked the look of without trying them on. We would tell them repeatedly that helmets cannot be returned and a perfect fit is more important than looks, but most people didn't listen. Most of them would come back saying they couldn't ride for more than 20-30 minutes because the helmet was either too big and would move around, or too small and uncomfortable with pressure spots.
Make sure it fits, that is the 100% most important thing.
You might have missed this part of my post you quoted:
I'm not in a hurry so when the time comes that I can test fit these options, I'll narrow it down.
;)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I do the following when researching.

I usually have 2 lids in use.

1) This may seem obvious - It has to be road legal.

2) It has to have certain functions - depending on when, where and how I intend to ride with it. So a high speed motorway lid may need different options than a city lid or off road lid.

This usually generates a fairly short list.

3) Check SHARP ratings - Less than 4 stars and it's discounted - If there's still a big list (more than 2 or 3) then 5 stars only. Also hunt for any comparative tests which may bring to the fore deficiencies or unexpected pluses.

4) TRY THEM ALL FOR FIT. And be aware of heat build up whilst testing and any visor fogging. I have tried on a few lids that are instantly hot - useless in 40°C. The fit thing is really key, I have experienced first hand where Gen1 and Gen2 of a helmet had very different fit.

5) MAYBE think about colour. On the whole I prefer plain gloss white. But more from a heat/sun POV.

I have done this for decades.

I also am NOT a huge believer in "Fibre is better". Early on in the early '80's - yes. But as testing has become more stringent and with the advent of SHARP it became obvious that all the glitters is NOT always gold. And changes in the new ECE 22.06 testing suggest I may not be the only one.

PolyCarb helmets fare better in many "short, sharp, shock" tests than many fibre. Fibre fare better in full on huge crushing blow type impacts (i.e. Tyre Walls"). This has been corroborated from various sources - including Helmet shops and one mfr.

Pure carbon lids seem to almost be worse. This I believe is partially they are often built to weigh less. But also (I believe) Carbon fibre ( as a material) does NOT cope well with imperfections in it's surface. I worries me.

Don't get me wrong. If you FEEL safer in an ARAI or SHOEI - then buy it.

Sorry for that long winded reply - but getting it all down, has helped me focus as well.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Short Sharp Shock was also a term used for the "correction of minors" in borstal.

But I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon.;)

Lid-wise I used to swear by Griffin Helmets - The one with the 1/4" thick visor.
But times change.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nope, that's a stock helmet design. This is the one I wanted to get, matte black, carbon fibre and KTM orange - but like I said above the bell just does not fit my head... View attachment 5394
I did have that bell star DLX with orange which I did love until it started hurting my head and my ears just traded it for a Shoei rf12 TC5 Matte gray black rumpus which I don't think is as pretty but it does suit my black 790 I guess I'll post a picture up tomorrow when I get it

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did have that bell star DLX with orange which I did love until it started hurting my head and my ears just traded it for a Shoei rf12 TC5 Matte gray black rumpus which I don't think is as pretty but it does suit my black 790 I guess I'll post a picture up tomorrow when I get it
Well I'll be sending the shoei rf-1200 back too not oval enough for my head I'm not sure what to do at this point

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm not sure what to do at this point
Pop to a LARGE helmet store and start trying EVERYTHING.

Yesterday by pure fluke I discovered a large "outlet" store not far from me. It concentrates more on the budget end - but ...........................
I'm on hol's, and today it's going to rain all day - so I may pop for a look. if Mrs B. gives me a leave pass.

I'm off the idea of a Ruroc - I mean I like them, but I just don't see them as practical HERE in central Spain.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pop to a LARGE helmet store and start trying EVERYTHING.

Yesterday by pure fluke I discovered a large "outlet" store not far from me. It concentrates more on the budget end - but ...........................
I'm on hol's, and today it's going to rain all day - so I may pop for a look. if Mrs B. gives me a leave pass.

I'm off the idea of a Ruroc - I mean I like them, but I just don't see them as practical HERE in central Spain.
Thank you, I have a store close to me that has some I think I'm going to try on some LS2s and bilts And I like the scorpion too but it seems the sport bike helmets just are not for me thanks for your advice let me know how you make out Mr B, I'll do the same.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts