KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Given the new ECE 22.06 thing - I am going to hold off this season. Any existing lid designs can be sold until 2023, and you will be able to keep using a 22.05 for ever (they say).
COVID has seen off any chance of a 2-wheel run to see my mum in the UK this year anyway - and that's when I really like having a flip front - the border thing.

Totally off track - was pleased to see that the price of the PINLOCK PROTECTINT (photochromatic) visors has dropped. These - ime - work better than many believe. I have one on my old Caberg. No! - they do NOT go BLACK. But here in Spain in summer - every bit of sunshade is a plus. The advantage over a darker visor is really apparent in tunnels. Inner sun visors are a must here at the moment.

To get back to @Vu Le - Mate!, have a look at the ICON AIRFLITE. I have a couple of mates wearing them - one of them is off to look for the MIPS version next week.
I wonder if ICON AIRLITE's weight is, and is it loud or quiet.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Icon Airflite - SHARP - NOT LIGHT!

There are a few Youtube Videos. I have not watched any!.

I am a wee bit ambivalent regarding looks. I need a lid to HAVE certain things and those that do not have them - simply do not get a look in. This may be a flaw, but there it is.
But a good SHARP rating is one of them. I'll accept a 4star - but less, and I tend to ignore them. The ICON is 3. I am surprised a bit.

I have long considered a drop down sun visor a must.
For personal respiratory issues - Pinlock and these days Pinlock-MAXVISION.
A recent "totally sold on the need" - an "off road style" peak. Brilliant in strong sun and also "low on horizon" sun.

For longer trips that cross national borders - I prefer a flip front. Otherwise it is a PITA at frontiers.

All this narrows the list really fast!.

FOR ROAD USE - I personally have come to the conclusion that a large number of Polycarbonate lids outclass similar Fibre versions.
And based on the proposed ECE 22-06 changes - seems I may not be alone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
+1 on the Shoei GT Air2

Reactions: banned

·
Registered
34 Posts
Surprised no ones mentioned it but the Arai tour x4. Tried one on in the shop before the lock down and seriously impressed. Think it's going to replace my shoei nxr

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Shoei Qwest is pretty quiet but I'll still wear ear plugs if I'm going to be doing any highway speeds.
With a set of Etymotic ETY plugs I can still hear my cardo packtalk music and comms easily.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
So guys. I've been offline a fair bit (by choice). The Mrs and I have both been unwell with "serious sniffles" and the Mrs being HIGH RISK made us both a bit jittery until she was declared C19 negative.

But I did finally get myself a new "summer" lid. It being almost winter!.
A tiny leap of faith as I could not try my size before.

Had a big interchange with Ruroc. Their lid in many respects might have been a better choice on paper, but they are a way off having photo-chromatic goggles and that is an issue in Spain.

LS2 MX471 XTRA (Yard version). Yes! it is an MX lid,

VERY LIGHT - 980g.

All carbon. The inside has a MIPS type liner. Strap D-Rings are titanium. That "X" is a metal plate for strap security.
Fully CE rated and UK ACU competition rated. Very much a high end lid. Trimmed in leather not vinyl. And they are serialized. 5 year warranty.
Comes with a second longer peak too. Plus bit's and bobs like a padded breathable zippered storage bag,
An inflatable ring to do maintenance and spare visor screws and "Ride in France" reflectors.

Shop on eBay (Moto Central) in the UK has them at 32% discount.

Took it for a quick blast yesterday using Bollé cycling glasses which were fine, but not perfect. I will look for some goggles. Photochromatic ones. Will be way cheaper than the Ruroc ones.

I need to do more tests to establish WHY it is different where it is but:--

Far less noise than expected - I always wear Flare Isolate earplugs anyway. But I could hear my Tinnitus and that's rare on a bike.
There was far less shuddering and booming via Bone Conduction. This may be the weight?
The peak did start to exhibit a bit of air lift at 160kmh. Anything legal and it's excellent.
The peak does contribute a bit to the noise - but overall I think I'd keep it on. As it works.
From online reports I had expected my head to get chilled - but didn't. Beard keeps chin warm - Nose sniffled a bit.

For the oldies amongst us - This is like riding with a Bell open face from the 80's. But with full mandible protection. Feel the air on your face.
I stopped riding open face a good half a lifetime ago. Safety. But realised yesterday how much I missed it.

The big NEXX still would be my choice from Spain-UK-Spain runs just from the weather POV. Sleet/Rain etc stings. That I do remember.
Though I am going to remove the peak extension from the NEXX. I had already "sort of" decided to try anyway.

The ONLY real downside is the risk of being labelled a "retro" rider.

I offer this only because I ride upright on my 790D - it works.

If anybody has PHOTOCHROMATIC goggle recommendations - please post. I am current looking hard at ETHEN in Italy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi

The LS2 looks great, another brand/model worth considering is the Shuberth C3 Pro or Basic (Older C3 better than new C4 IMHO) you get ...a really quiet lid especially when riding upright, minimal buffeting due to aero design/shape, they are fairly light, very comfortable liner (....this is personal choice always try first ) excellent safety rating/record, good ventilation system for summer, removeable washable liner, built in tinted visor and pinlock system and finally the huge benefit of being flip front for ease of border crossings, petrol stops, short chats etc etc on my 3rd one now and have tried lots of other brands. Shuberth are also supplier to KTM so you can get KTM branded version too .....as well as being widely used by UK Police force !!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hi

The LS2 looks great, another brand/model worth considering is the Shuberth C3 Pro or Basic (Older C3 better than new C4 IMHO) you get ...a really quiet lid especially when riding upright, minimal buffeting due to aero design/shape, they are fairly light, very comfortable liner (....this is personal choice always try first ) excellent safety rating/record, good ventilation system for summer, removeable washable liner, built in tinted visor and pinlock system and finally the huge benefit of being flip front for ease of border crossings, petrol stops, short chats etc etc on my 3rd one now and have tried lots of other brands. Shuberth are also supplier to KTM so you can get KTM branded version too .....as well as being widely used by UK Police force !!
No doubt Schuberth make good lids- I had a SunRacerR(Carbon) back in the mid 90's. But they do not fit me as well as I'd like. Especially not at the price.
I ordered a set of Bertoni F113 googles to wear with the LS2 - but so far unable (unwilling) to test as "Barbara" has been lashing us with wet,
I 'ates That 'enry 'iggins. The rain in Spain falls mainly on our house!.

And 100% for we TRANS-BORDER riders - a flip front is an absolute boon.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It's been raining a lot - So this is have I've been testing the goggles in the rain.

Brmmm brmm.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts