KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently wearing an LS2 FF397 Citation helmet. It was designed for an upright riding position.

I'm looking for another helmet, but don't know which ones to get. I don't want to make a mistake and get a sport bike helmet.

Any recommendations?

·
Read Only
8 Posts
I have the AGV Sportmodular Carbon and can highly recommend it.
Very comfortable, stabil in the wind and extremely light. Vents are easy to use and very effective.

I also have an Xlite X803 carbon. This is also very good but does not seal around the visor quite a well as the AGV.
And it does not have the internal sun visor. ( X903 does, i think )

·
Registered
932 Posts
This may sound a bit odd - But I have taken to using Dual Road type lids when (as you say) upright.

One simple reason - the peak really works if the sun is low. And also gives alot of shade when the sun is up high and blistering hot - as it is here now.
Was expecting to get all sorts of neck aches - actually has been brilliant. Usually they have BIG eye ports, and the venting tends to be good. Peaks are usually dis-mountable.

Flip front versions are available too. For anybody who needs to cross borders - flip fronts are a godsend. UK customs generally make you remove your lid if they cant see ALL your face.
My next lidd may well be a Scorpion ADX-1. But I'm a good year from a change - who knows what will be about.

·
Read Only
8 Posts
barbagris...I had the ADX-1.
Try it first if you haven´t already. I didn´t, bought it and found it horrible in every respect.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Arai Defiant or Rebel in some markets was designed for upright naked bikes. Amazing venting in summer! Little on the loud side with all the vents open though

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm not the kind of person who is going to tell you how it is. Before you buy another helmet, read this article on Asphalt and Rubber.
I enjoy his work both the blog and the podcasts. If you don't buy the MIPS stuff what ever check out some of the other articles.
He also loves the 790 Duke.
Bottoms Up

·
Registered
932 Posts
barbagris...I had the ADX-1.
Try it first if you haven´t already. I didn´t, bought it and found it horrible in every respect.
Good to know - Any key points you hated? I have tried one on in a shop. But trying on in a shop is never the same as riding with it.

I have a NEXX XD1 at the moment. The only disadvantage is the aforementioned border control thing - It is a good tight fit so is a real PITA to get on/off fast.
But it may well be my first fully enclosed lid in 40 years of riding that actually vents enough to keep the visor clear.
I have to breathe through my mouth due to problems in the nose. Even with Pinlocks etc - I fog visors up fast - even in summer!

My backup lid is a Caberg Duke, but I know they aren't sold in the USA. And it does not vent anywhere near as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Now that article has me looking at Bell Star MIPS DLX when I have a brand new Arai hanging in the garage. Not seeing the gauges and the sides are like wearing blinders. I wonder if the Bell has better viz....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Now that article has me looking at Bell Star MIPS DLX when I have a brand new Arai hanging in the garage. Not seeing the gauges and the sides are like wearing blinders. I wonder if the Bell has better viz....
I bought a Bell for a off-road helmet a couple of years back (pre MIPS) and I was pleasantly surprised by it so much so I bought their new MIPS helmets for both my kids. Now I want one too.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Decided to invest some time and effort into researhing MIPS - Seems VERY common here in "cycling" helmets - less so for "motorcycles".

It's one of those - "It can't hurt to try" things. Though one of those "I hope I never need" things. There was a similar anti-rotation idea - which LAZER promoted for a while. A sort of flexible outer skin. Problem here I remember was that they would get VERY FRICKIN HOT - in the same way Gel saddles do. MIPS is a better solution imo. But would like to see a SHARP test.

Yesterday we had vicious sun - you could feel the burn - even though Kevlar/Dyneema layers. Air temp at 60cms from road - 50°C.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I'm not the kind of person who is going to tell you how it is. Before you buy another helmet, read this article on Asphalt and Rubber.
I enjoy his work both the blog and the podcasts. If you don't buy the MIPS stuff what ever check out some of the other articles.
He also loves the 790 Duke.
Bottoms Up
Interesting in that article - he mentions something else I have noticed about impact protection/cost/weight. And it had already provoked me into asking very pointed questions. So much so I would NOT wear a lightweight fibre lid for road use. The XD1 I have is fibre - but that was because I needed a lid and the one I wanted had been postponed. And frankly - it's not that light.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Firstly it feels really heavy. I think the numbers in the description are a bit imagionary ( if that´s a word ).
The pressure on the forehead and cheeks ( when closed ) gave me a head ache after 30 minutes. This seems to be a common issue.
When turning you head, the wind resistance is really strong. Only a few degrees will make it unstable.
But i looks really cool...especially in the camo colours and with the gold iridium visor:cool:
Weight I can live with.
And yes - imaginary is VERY MUCH a word. I wish my Danish was as good as your English.
Pressure - this depends on head shape. But yes! - I do understand.
But the wind thing! - that's a concern. The XD1 peak can catch air too - but it's rare.
INTERESTING OPTION - ICON AIRFLITE. ??

I was looking and found that there is a a new UN-ECE reg (22.06) starting NOW (June 2020). There is a new SNELL rating to match. Seems well allied to the the UK SHARP tests.
What is also interesting is the Koroyd technology - found in the KLIM KRIOS.

It's a BRAVE NEW WORLD!.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Given the new ECE 22.06 thing - I am going to hold off this season. Any existing lid designs can be sold until 2023, and you will be able to keep using a 22.05 for ever (they say).
COVID has seen off any chance of a 2-wheel run to see my mum in the UK this year anyway - and that's when I really like having a flip front - the border thing.

Totally off track - was pleased to see that the price of the PINLOCK PROTECTINT (photochromatic) visors has dropped. These - ime - work better than many believe. I have one on my old Caberg. No! - they do NOT go BLACK. But here in Spain in summer - every bit of sunshade is a plus. The advantage over a darker visor is really apparent in tunnels. Inner sun visors are a must here at the moment.

To get back to @Vu Le - Mate!, have a look at the ICON AIRFLITE. I have a couple of mates wearing them - one of them is off to look for the MIPS version next week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shoei, probably other premium brands also, offer personal fitting. I have done this with my Shoei nxr and it is a massive difference. At buying a new helmet the costs are about € 30 extra. The Personal fitting adds pieces of adhesive fillings to match the shape of your head, cheeks, etc. On the track fi when leaning and looking through the corner I always needed to lift my head a little to get the right view, this is history now. Also no wobbling, better sound/wind protection and more comfort.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have owned (and still own) a lot of SHOEI helmets. This GT Air II is the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts