KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to try one of the cheap CCP (Chinese Communist Party) Akra knock off slip-on mufflers.

Ordered it a few weeks ago off Ebay for $71, ended up being $87 to my door. Figured what the heck.

Installed it yesterday. Kinda of a pain to get everything lined up and tight. Fiddled around for about 2 hours and finally solved the jig saw puzzle.

Suited up and went for a ride. First tried it without the DB killer. Definitely too loud and obnoxious. The DB killer had two modes, capped and uncapped. It had a small internal removeable cap. I opted for un-capped.

Took it for a spin and the sound was much better. Then I began my roll on and off thru the gears evaluation to allow my ass dyno to record some impressions of torque and power. As is often the case with aftermarket slip on exhausts you actually lose some low to mid range torque. While an ass dyno is somewhat subjective, after numerous trial runs I was pretty convinced I had lost a bit of mid range performance.

Ass dyno result and cheezy mounting hardware has inspired me to go back to the stock exhaust, which by the way is a really well engineered device as stock mufflers go. Yea I know it weighs more than the tiny little CCP slip-on but is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better engineered and unlike the CCP knock off it mounts up nice and secure.

Like I told a doctor recently who wanted to work on my knee, "Doc it's hard to beat factory equipment."

PXL_20210107_001102341.jpg
PXL_20210107_001115759.jpg
PXL_20210107_001120151.jpg
PXL_20210107_001138848.jpg

Registered
Of course you can make it better because KTM is limited with all environmental rules and you as a end user not necessary. For 790/890 all shorts pipe are not good choice(CCP especially) but there is a lot well designed exhausts which don't cause any power loss, weight less and sound nicer.

For example Wings: https://wings-exhausts.com/exhausts-us-ca/ktm-us-ca/790-duke-us-ca/ titanium, well designed, sounds really great and price is quite acceptable in comparison to akrapovic.

Registered
I've got the same Aliexpress exhaust, minus the Akrapovic marking (no interest in pretending it's something it isn't) and I'm really happy with it. Haven't noticed any reduction in power, unlike the Ixrace I had previously, and which cost more than 4 times as much (and that's considered a "cheap" slip-on!) The paint on that exhaust also started peeling after a couple of months. I enjoy the sound of this slip-on with the dB killer in. I installed it back in March last year, and it's still in great condition - no sign of wear & tear, even though I fully expected to see the coating part company with the exhaust pretty quickly, especially since it's been used in wet conditions. I figured if it lasts a full year, I'll have had my money's worth, but it's holding up fine. And I had no issues installing it - actually a breeze. I found everything lined up OK and it's solidly mounted. Maybe I lucked out. The only "problem" I did have was the dB killer screw started to come loose, but nothing a dab of Loctite couldn't fix.

Premium Member
I've got the same Aliexpress exhaust, minus the Akrapovic marking.....
Ditto for me and the same experience as Mark. There seems to be small variations depending on the supplier. The Db killer doesn't have a removable part on mine. I've actually drilled a couple of holes in the end plate of the killer simply as an experiment regarding noise. No appreciable difference. It also came equipped with mounting brackets I didn't need and 2 sets of retaining springs, one pair being ridiculously small. It also had a strip of adhesive-backed glass fibre mat. This was presumably to make a tight seal between the link pipe and muffler. Most of it blew out on my first ride but a tube of muffler cement fixed the problem. Like Mark, I ditched the Akrapovic metallised nameplate for the same reason. Very happy with it. Wasn't interested in the performance aspect, just looks and weight saving.

Super-FastGuy
Ninja 400
Same here on my 890R - bought mine with no badging and although it was a finicky fit, I loved the look and weight savings.

Butt dyno's are just that - useless IMO.

If I bought another 890 I'd be buying that same exhaust without question.

Registered
Same here, bought the Alipovich and love it. Cheap, light,sounds good and even comes with a DB insert. I tried it first with the insert as I don鈥檛 like noise,which made it sound the same as stock so removed it and it was a bit growlier but perfect .
left fake sticker off. As far as seat of the pants on power feels the same to me.

Registered
Of course you lost a bit of butt-power with the killer installed, it's overly restrictive. I was doing sound testing with a dB-meter and shot the uncapped killer 10-15 feet behind the bike, knocking the meter over in the process. I've run mine open since install and enjoy it (subjective), it didn't even trip the overly-sensitive dB-nannies at the track. I wear ear plugs for fun time, but even just running around town without them it's fine.

For the price it's a lot of fun. :)

Registered
Of course you can make it better because KTM is limited with all environmental rules and you as a end user not necessary. For 790/890 all shorts pipe are not good choice(CCP especially) but there is a lot well designed exhausts which don't cause any power loss, weight less and sound nicer.

For example Wings: https://wings-exhausts.com/exhausts-us-ca/ktm-us-ca/790-duke-us-ca/ titanium, well designed, sounds really great and price is quite acceptable in comparison to akrapovic.
I just looked at the link and yea its a beauty but for 400 bucks more is it really worth it over the CCP pipe? I'm glad to see that i'm not the only one who ditched the rear grab bar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts