KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my 790, a 2020 MY in orange (of course) on order and am waiting for it to be pdi'd so I can collect it. It should be any day now, but the dealer is so busy they have a 3 week wait just for pdi!

I'm keeping my gs for long distance stuff, but looking forward to getting a lighter, more nimble bike for the Dorset lanes.

The 790 will have the Akrapovic end can, heated grips and seat cowl fitted and the pillion pegs will be removed. The can is as much for aesthetics as any other reason and I won't be taking the lovely Mrs Saint on the pillion. That's what the gs is for. This is my toy.

I expect there will be more farkling as I get used to the bike, with brake pads and tyres being things that seem to need upgrading.

Updates will follow when I get the bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi BS, I’m not too far from you. Had my 20 790D (in black) for about 6 weeks now and love it. Ridden it down your way a few times, I love the Weymouth to West Bay road, the pic below was taken there last weekend. I also have a Superduke GT for distance / 2-up work with my wife (though she finds the 790 quite comfy for shorter rides), but the 790 is one of the most fun bikes I’ve ever had in nearly 40 years of riding.

Have you got yours yet?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Should have blasting through the Jurassic coast from Plymouth to Wimborne about now. Ruddy COVID (and let's be honest - Boris!). Blowed if I'm going to spend my hol's in quarantine.

I also have a Superduke GT for distance / 2-up work with my wife
My distance steed is a "modified" 2009 Rocket III - but as Mrs B. has stated she will not be doing more pillion work ... this may change.

·
Registered
34 Posts
May see you out and about (as I'm only up in Ilminster) and, with the Legion Riders, we quite often ride down your way.
Hopefully I get to pick mine up from Exeter on 1st Sept - and say goodbye to my Tiger 800. Looking forward to my Duke as it's 40kg lighter, and I'm getting old 🙄.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's new bike day!!

Foul weather for the 65 mile drive to Bristol, where my shiny new 790 was ready and waiting for me. Equally foul weather on the ride home. Heavy rain most of the way and a sea fog at the coast that hasn't shifted all day.

Initial thoughts after my first ride.:-
It's light. Very, very light.
The dash swaps between day and night settings far to often.
Maxxis tyres are ok at running in speeds, on an unfamiliar bikes on wet roads, but I wasn't exactly testing their limits.
Arse ache sets in after about an hour.
Orange wheels don't 'alf show up the dirt.
I wish I had bought one ages ago. It's brilliant.
They were pretty much my thoughts after my first ride ride home on the 790, though I had a dry ride back so the wheels issue wasn’t apparent (I love the orange wheels, they look amazing, but they are a bugger to keep clean. I use cheap Wilkos babywipes, 2 or 3 of them will shift all the oil and crud and have the wheels shiny again).

Personally, after initially finding the seat a plank, I seem to have got used to it and can be on the bike most of the day without arseache as long as I move about a bit.

Happy new bike day 👍

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
5 days and about 200 miles into ownership and here are a few random thoughts.

The seat isn't all that comfortable. Arse ache after about an hour. I might have to try the ergo seat. I don't like airhawks.
Maxxis tyres aren't as bad as I expected. Certainly ok in the dry, but I wouldn't replace them like for like..
Brakes lack initial bite. EBCs will be fitted soon.
Quickshifter is clunky at running in speeds. Clutched changes are better.
Engine won't hold steady revs at low speeds (in street mode). It lurches badly. Fortunately I won't spend much time in towns. If I'd bought it as a commuter bike, I would not be happy.
Even at running in speeds it has enough get up and go to get past slower traffic. It bodes well for the future.

Overall, I'm hugely impressed and am looking forward to having it run in so I can use the full rev range.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My quickshifter improved noticeably after the first break-in service - recalibrating the shift shaft sensor is part of this service.

I haven't experienced surging at low speeds though - have found rain mode a little better in town / traffic (two taps right, close the throttle and select new mode - easy to change while riding).

I though the seat was uncomfortable at first but think I've got used to it - I do move around on the seat after a couple of hours. Some say the ergo seats are more comfortable (though not that much) and they are a little wider too so getting feet down may be harder if you are shorter in the leg.

It's a great bike though - plenty of torque for overtakes and getting up to speed and very agile and light.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I have been told my bike will be ready on 15th August. As I'm an insomniac this means it's only 2 sleeps away! Fowlers in Bristol reckon they have sold nearly 600 bikes since lockdown and with distancing rules in the workshop, customers are having to wait. My local (ish) dealer, Moto Corsa, can't get any, so I'd have to wait even longer for them.

I've got a photo of my gs in that same layby, Gilo. That road is the business, but is heavily policed these days due to the 50 mph limit. There are so many good roads round here that my neighbour on his Thruxton R and I plan on riding. Bring it on!

It's new bike day!!

Foul weather for the 65 mile drive to Bristol, where my shiny new 790 was ready and waiting for me. Equally foul weather on the ride home. Heavy rain most of the way and a sea fog at the coast that hasn't shifted all day.

Initial thoughts after my first ride.:-
It's light. Very, very light.
The dash swaps between day and night settings far to often.
Maxxis tyres are ok at running in speeds, on an unfamiliar bikes on wet roads, but I wasn't exactly testing their limits.
Arse ache sets in after about an hour.
Orange wheels don't 'alf show up the dirt.
I wish I had bought one ages ago. It's brilliant.

I don't want to have to change riding mode every time I enter a built up area. That would be ridiculous. Once it is run in I will have a discussion with a tuner/dyno operator to see if it can be dialled out.

Off for the first service this morning. Not been to Moto Corsa's service centre and have to find it without satnav. It's only 40 miles away. What could go wrong. :unsure:

Looking forward to being able to open the throttle a bit further on the way home.

Serviced and sorted. Brake pads swapped for Brembos. What a difference. Not much opportunity to explore rev range due to volume of traffic. More to follow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.