KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Had my 790 Duke for about 6 weeks and 1600 miles now. Done all the mods I want other than suspension (cartridges, new shock) which will have to wait til I have the cash. That said I’ve been pretty impressed with the stock suspension, it’s no hardship sticking with it for now.

Great bike, love riding it, and every time I walk through the garage I have to stop and look at it :ROFLMAO: I also have a ‘19 Superduke GT - it’s the first time I’ve had two bikes from the same brand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all

Had my 790 Duke for about 6 weeks and 1600 miles now. Done all the mods I want other than suspension (cartridges, new shock) which will have to wait til I have the cash. That said I’ve been pretty impressed with the stock suspension, it’s no hardship sticking with it for now.

Great bike, love riding it, and every time I walk through the garage I have to stop and look at it :ROFLMAO: I also have a ‘19 Superduke GT - it’s the first time I’ve had two bikes from the same brand.

Looks good Gilo,welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all

Bought my 790 new ( 2020 orange ) a month ago from SP Exeter.
Owned a 16 1290gt in the past.
loving the 790 & early thoughts are that I prefer it to the 1290.
I think its a better package.
cant compare it to the latest gen 1290 though.
Just my opinion.
Enjoy your 790 !

·
Registered
108 Posts
I tried the 1290 and found it too much for Dorset's roads. I was considering px ing my gs. The lovely Mrs Saint suggested I keep the gs for touring and buy a lighter bike for every day use, so I tried the 790 and was blown away.
I prefer the gs to the 1290 for distance stuff and am looking forward to getting the 790 in 8 days time.
What mods have you done, Gilo, and what suspension are you going for?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just my opinion.
Enjoy your 790 !
So you're the guy that bought that one..... I was going to buy it but Kai told me he'd already sold it!!
So mine is on order and (hopefully) should arrive for me to pick up early next month.....
Glad you're enjoying it :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tried the 1290 and found it too much for Dorset's roads. I was considering px ing my gs. The lovely Mrs Saint suggested I keep the gs for touring and buy a lighter bike for every day use, so I tried the 790 and was blown away.
I prefer the gs to the 1290 for distance stuff and am looking forward to getting the 790 in 8 days time.
Hi

Had a r1200rs. This is a better touring bike than the 1290gt, but really love the agressive nature & fun factor of Ktm s.
Also , although the Bm was very comfortable, I seem to fit extremely well on Ktm , including my Rc390, which I have just sold.
The fact that Ktm can make a 125 size m/c to fit me at 14 stone & 2 new hips is nothing short of an ergonomic miracle lol.
The 1290 fitted Extremely well , as does the 790.
Most of the mods are cosmetic.
They are Fly screen,engine spoiler, seat cowl, fork & swinging arm protectors ( evotech make really nice shaped ones )
R & G tail tidy
As I no longer have a touring m/c ( weekends & day trips only ) have also bought ergo riders seat ( tall + 20 mm ) & pillion ergo seat for the wife ( who loves the 790 )
The other thing worth considering for wind protection is , I have a tank ring permanently fitted , for my givi xs307 tank lock tank bag ( 15 lts ).
so as well as valuable storage, the bag acts as a wind buffer/deflector.
it’s also nicely shaped.
Personally did not like the look of the touring screen.
The suspension is on the firm side, but not terrible.
will adjust the preload to see if that helps a little.
All in all , a fantastic bike for the money.
was not struck on 18/19 colours ( that’s just me ) , but really liked the 2020 orange colour.
Ps , nothing wrong with Oem tyres & brakes, although it seems that the maxis don’t operate in sub 10 degree climate, or on wet roads.
Im a fair weather rider ( now )
Enjoy your new Ktm. 👍🏽😀🏍

·
Registered
12 Posts
So you're the guy that bought that one..... I was going to buy it but Kai told me he'd already sold it!!
So mine is on order and (hopefully) should arrive for me to pick up early next month.....
Glad you're enjoying it :)
Sorry about buying your bike. To good to miss
It was a good experience buying at SP in Exeter.
A little tip, get your 600 service booked in early.
ive got mine this Monday 10/8, which is a month after purchase.
It’s been purgatory having to restrict my mileage & usage !
Currently on 600 at the moment.
Enjoy your new 🏍
😀

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry about buying your bike. To good to miss
It was a good experience buying at SP in Exeter.
A little tip, get your 600 service booked in early.
ive got mine this Monday 10/8, which is a month after purchase.
It’s been purgatory having to restrict my mileage & usage !
Currently on 600 at the moment.
Enjoy your new 🏍
😀
Glad it's gone to a 'good home'....
As I'm a 'silver/wrinkly rider' I'm not too worried about mileage & usage. Being (semi) retired means I can go out when I like!!
If it gets short on miles I'll take the 4-wheel bike (TVR Griffith 500) out for a spin ;).
I also ride with Somerset Legion Riders and used to out with the local RoSPA group (I'm based in Ilminster)
Ride safe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad it's gone to a 'good home'....
As I'm a 'silver/wrinkly rider' I'm not too worried about mileage & usage. Being (semi) retired means I can go out when I like!!
If it gets short on miles I'll take the 4-wheel bike (TVR Griffith 500) out for a spin ;).
I also ride with Somerset Legion Riders and used to out with the local RoSPA group (I'm based in Ilminster)
Ride safe
Thats my problem, also semi retired.
Normally put loads of miles on , but can’t , as unable to exceed the 600 service by very much.
Normally not a problem as always had 2 🏍, but have just gone down to 1 ( 790) !
Still ; nearly at 1st service date, thank goodness. 😀

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just my opinion.
Enjoy your 790 !
Cheers! The 1290 engine is stunning, though I guess arguably too much for the road. I love the fact I can stick my wife and full luggage on the GT and still play with sportsbikes (my wife is fairly understanding...), but I do find I’m reigning it in a lot of the time to avoid doing very silly speeds, though when the opportunity arises to redline it through the gears it’s ear to ear grin time. The 790 is a lot more usable in that sense, as you can cane it on the road without doing prison speeds. I love having them both in my garage tbh :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far: Ixil M2 can, tail tidy, bar end mirrors, Puig levers, PP fly screen, PP sat nav mount, radiator guard, Crash bungs, Chinese axle protectors, anodised reservoir covers - think that’s it. Suspension, not sure - I’d like to go for WP as it’s designed for the bike, but have also had Wilbers and Nitron shocks in the past (among others) and been impressed with them so it’s a tough choice. Wilbers will also do the spring in any colour you want if you supply the paint code, so tempting to get one matched to the wheels. Decisions, decisions....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts