KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well I find myself here after test riding a 790 today as I was all intending on buying a 390, well until I rode the 790 馃槀 so looking to buy one very soon.

Registered
Welcome @Cabby - and good choice over the 390.

I bet you knew you were going to get the 790 instead within a couple miles of first riding it!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome @Cabby - and good choice over the 390.

I bet you knew you were going to get the 790 instead within a couple miles of first riding it!

haha...as someone who has owned everything from Gixxer thous/R1's to GS's and AT's I'm going lower and lower capacity more from a weight perspective than a power one as moving them about the tight space I have available at my house is an issue but the fun is just as good.

The 390 was/is a hoot but that 790 was a riot and it's a second bike for me so will be a wee toy to play on.

Registered
haha...as someone who has owned everything from Gixxer thous/R1's to GS's and AT's I'm going lower and lower capacity more from a weight perspective than a power one as moving them about the tight space I have available at my house is an issue but the fun is just as good.

The 390 was/is a hoot but that 790 was a riot and it's a second bike for me so will be a wee toy to play on.
I traded in an R 1200 GS for my 790 so I know exactly what you mean about the weight and moving to lighter bikes as I get older.

The GS took planning when wheeling it around and in and out the garage at nearly a quarter of a tonne. I was used to it of course and it's a really well balanced bike but such a lump! The 790 is a doddle in comparison - so light and so much fun to ride - it is a toy in comparison.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I traded my ATAS in for a Tenere 700 cause it was just far too heavy for me, like you getting older. This thing I'm hoping will bring back that little rush you get, it certainly did today anyway.

Registered
Interesting that you traded the ATAS for the Tenere 700 - think the Tenere is a great bike.

I know there was a lot of expectation when the new Africa Twin was known be in development by Honda - the original AT having become a kind of classic of its time with its Dakar history. I was properly surprised that it was so heavy when it finally arrived though, tall too!

Sure you'll love the 790 - I do mine. It's a hoot to ride whether giving it some beans or like many of my rides just trundling through the countryside round here. Took mine through a ford the other day for a laugh.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Had the DCT ATAS, loved that DCT, amazing thing but after I got back from the Alps last year I knew it had to go and I've already had three previous Tenere's so it was only a matter of time.

I really should grow up at 55, I've tried, honest your honour but this 790 seems perfect for a hoon, triple figures on a naked are hard work and license losing so this up to 80-90 will be just spot on without getting the jail.

Phone call tomorrow. :p

Registered
Na, no need to grow up, just grow older, safely and a little disgracefully perhaps.

You can have loads of fun on the 790 without risking your licence - the torque is always grin inducing without being too mental, and being a naked the speed sort of limits itself naturally.

Good luck with the dealer - unless you are wedded to the newer 2020 colour scheme I'd look for a 2019 model and save a few pounds.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Can get a 2019 new for 7k though tbh it looks more like a 2018 colour from what I can see of it.

Registered
That's a good deal - I don't think there's that much difference between the 2018 and 2019 models.

The 2020s have dark tanks, rear sub-frames and orange wheels.

Mine's a black 2019 model.

Registered
Nice one @Cabby - congratulations!

Hope you get some good weather up there to get the break in miles done, next week looks better than this down here in the midlands.

Keep us posted on any plans for farkles and making it your own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts