KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

Previously rode a super sport, wanted to get out of that and on a naked, so started doing research on them, came across the KTM 790. So, I picked one up on my birthday, and got about 98 miles to ride back home to test out the bike on the highway.

All was fine until I got back into my hometown, and got into downtown traffic. I looked down and saw a bunch of failures and things being shut off. As soon as I got home, I saw that I have the immobilizer failure error, and bike wouldn't start. Called back the dealership, talked to the tech there, and I've got to take it back at some point to have that issue corrected. So, for now, I'm putting miles on it in some open country roads so that I can do a first service and the immobilizer fix in the same service interval. Other than having this issue, I'm loving the bike.

Looking forward to reading the forum and getting to know what everyone else does with their bike.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Henry and welcome sorry to hear about your faults hope they can fix it. I have gone 12 months with no faults so its not all across the board I spend plenty of time championing KTM reliability usually referring to the Dakar rally which KTM have won every race since 2002.

·
a d m i n .
151,023 Posts
Also happy you can still ride it, hope you get it sorted, (on the quick), Henry.

·
Super-Member
595 Posts
Welcome Henry! Glad to have another USAer on here. The bike is fantastic and a great choice, and yes like said, that's just bad luck on the imobilizer. There is a huge thread on that here and maybe it can shed some more light on the matter for ya. For now, enjoy the open roads!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey all!

So update:

I got to first service mileage, and took it in for first service and to get immobilizer issue dealt with. No more issues with that!

...but...

When I got the bike back home, came out one day and noticed a liquid that dripped from the bike. Inspecting it showed that it was coolant leaking from radiator hose behind the radiator. I tried to tighten down the clamp, to make sure that wasn't the issue. Rode it around, checked it the next day, was still leaking.

So...first mod!

Bought a Samco Hose kit and clamps. Drained coolant, replaced hoses, new coolant, bled, etc.. and no leak anymore! In inspecting the original clamp that was there, it was oval shaped, so it doesn't seem like it was put on properly. I'm wondering what happened for the immobilizer fix that would've made a difference with that clamp. First service receipt didn't mention anything about changing any clamps or coolant or anything.

Future mods I'd like to do:
Tail Tiddy
bar end mirrors and take off OEM mirrors
slip on exhaust (I'm between the akrapovic and the sc project slip ons)
air filter
Any suggestions?

·
a d m i n .
151,023 Posts
Hey all!

Tail Tiddy
air filter
Any suggestions?
So glad you got it squared away, I imagine KTM is only too well versed on the ImmobFail, (as I call it). Cool deal on the Silicon coolant lines. It seems that clamp has been a minor issue for many with the 790.
I'm looking to get the SC exhaust as well, hopefully sooner. :grin:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all!

So update:

I got to first service mileage, and took it in for first service and to get immobilizer issue dealt with. No more issues with that!

...but...

When I got the bike back home, came out one day and noticed a liquid that dripped from the bike. Inspecting it showed that it was coolant leaking from radiator hose behind the radiator. I tried to tighten down the clamp, to make sure that wasn't the issue. Rode it around, checked it the next day, was still leaking.

So...first mod!

Bought a Samco Hose kit and clamps. Drained coolant, replaced hoses, new coolant, bled, etc.. and no leak anymore! In inspecting the original clamp that was there, it was oval shaped, so it doesn't seem like it was put on properly. I'm wondering what happened for the immobilizer fix that would've made a difference with that clamp. First service receipt didn't mention anything about changing any clamps or coolant or anything.

Tail Tiddy
air filter
Any suggestions?
Posted this too quickly. Started bike this morning, walked inside, then walked back out, and smoke and liquid everywhere on right side of bike. Shut it down, and there's a drip coming from what looks like the radiator rose that connects behind the radiator.

<insert cursing here/>

Did some quick searches this morning to see if this was also a common issue, and I saw that some have had this issue after their first service, where the thermostat cover wasn't completely screwed on correctly. I'm going to have to take a look at that, if I can, so I can at least get it to a point that I can take it to the dealership and have them look at it (which is 1 1/2 hour ride away, and I don't have a trailer to haul it).

Can anyone lead me to a picture of where the thermostat cover would be on this bike? I usually just take my stuff into the shop to have it worked on, but I've been trying to be more hands on with this one :).

·
a d m i n .
151,023 Posts
Thank you! I got it fixed up. Tightened a couple things and tested it out. No leaks so far. Hoping it stays that way.

I'd love for us to put together a list of all these little things KTM forgot to snug down. Perhaps this list can be emailed to KTM/every dealer, so everyone can be on the same page. :nerd:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts