KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all!

Im James from Melbourne, Australia.

I am super keen to get a KTM 790 duke. I love everything about it. The engine, weight, looks, tech ect.

I am testing a new 2019 model this Tuesday and have cash ready to lay down (have come from a street triple R that was nicked two weeks ago).

However to be honest I am little concerned about the frequency of problems experienced by 790 duke owners. Don't get me wrong, I know many bikes have issues and niggles. However it seems that a very large proportion of 790 dukes are plagued by oil leaks. coolant leaks, fork seal leaks ect.

Just wanted to know, if I get the 790 duke is it likely I'm going to be facing a few problems, or is there a large proportion of 790 owners out there who have had a trouble free ownership experience?

Many thanks

James

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
Would think most of the earlier issues have been ironed out now, been out for over a year now.

I also came from a street triple r, I’ve had a few issues you mention, coolant and oil leak, both sorted now (hopefully), but nothing that makes me regret my purchase.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 4000km on my 790 bought two months ago. Only issue has been the water leak. But such an easy fix, just tighten the clamp, so what is to worry about? The bike is brilliant. Never had a bike which I could ride very fast downhill with such confidence. Buy it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
G'day all!

Im James from Melbourne, Australia.

I am super keen to get a KTM 790 duke. I love everything about it. The engine, weight, looks, tech ect.

I am testing a new 2019 model this Tuesday and have cash ready to lay down (have come from a street triple R that was nicked two weeks ago).

However to be honest I am little concerned about the frequency of problems experienced by 790 duke owners. Don't get me wrong, I know many bikes have issues and niggles. However it seems that a very large proportion of 790 dukes are plagued by oil leaks. coolant leaks, fork seal leaks ect.

Just wanted to know, if I get the 790 duke is it likely I'm going to be facing a few problems, or is there a large proportion of 790 owners out there who have had a trouble free ownership experience?

Many thanks

James
Hi James,

Welcome!

First the bad:
I've experienced the bike shutting down for no reason, trip 1 and trip 2 resetting for no reason, bolts falling off, again, for no reason... Only had the bike for 2 months yet, went to the dealer 3 times under warranty. However I did not experienced the oil and coolant leaks, yet...
The bike is so well balanced in terms of engine fuel/air, that you cannot do a lot of changes to the bikes exhaust system without changing thermodynamics and possibly damaging the engine. You should not decat this bike unless you are going for a full system with a Coober ECU (or an Akrapovic evo line with special KTM map), and you should only do it if you are constantly pushing the bike to the limit, they are not meant for cruising speeds. So if you are those curious guys that likes to upgrade everything, be very careful.

The good and the best:
To be fair this is by far the best bike to have fun on an everyday basis... However if you are looking for no problems, just buy a Japanese. Just keep in mind you will not have this fun factor.
It fells like an enduro bike with a confy seat. Goes in and out of the corners like a race bike. The driving position is just fantastic, really no words... I can tell you that even with those 3 problems that annoy me a lot when they happen, I get a smile in my face every morning when I press the start button.

Regards,
Joao

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much everyone for your input. Its really much appreciated.

The 2012 Street Triple R I had never had a problem. It was rock solid despite many trackways and around 35,000kms. Due to the solid history and the enjoyment I got from the bike I am also considering a street RS.

However, I am testing a 790 Duke tomorrow, I have always had a thing for twins and I have a feeling ill be completely bowled over.

Ill let you know what I think.

·
Super-Member
606 Posts
So maybe I am just a one off....but I had zero issues with mine (knock on wood!). I had the slightest weep of coolant from a hose which I tightened the clamp on it has been fine ever since. I had mine since March and I have 4000mi on it now. It has been fantastic and I haven't had any issues with regards to some mentioned above. Maybe it's luck of the draw on a few bikes, but I think as a whole, the small tid bits of stuff that happens is easily fixed and most definitely not worth passing the platform up for.

Let us know how the test ride goes and what you think.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Jimbo,

I'm also in Australia and come from a Street Triple R.

The 790 is an epic bike, but I've had a few problems after 1500kms.

1) Leaking oil sump gasket - awaiting replacement under warranty
2) minor weep on both fork seals - hoping it clears up after some more kms
3) Lack of feel in the front brakes compared to the street triple - the folks on the forum suggest replacing with EBC double sintered

Before buying the bike I also did plenty of research so I kind of knew what I was getting into - it is still frustrating though, you'd expect these minor issues to be identified / rectified as part of the assembly line quality assurance at KTM Maybe we're just getting the crappy stock is Oz? :)

Even with the above I still don't regret buying the bike - it's so much fun to ride compared to the triple. Will be even better once all the issues are sorted.

Good luck and happy to answer any specific questions you may have

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all so much for your input. It really is greatly appreciated.

I have just come back from the test ride.

To be honest, the test ride was just as I imagined. The bike is epic! I really really enjoyed it, beautiful engine, love that torque. I really loved the ergonomics, I feel really in control in that riding position. Love the front end, tipped in so easily. What a fantastic bike. Only thing I didn't like on the demo ride was the quickshifter, it was absolutely rubbish, but I am sure thats because the bike had 1km on it before I road it. I imagine it would be great after being ridden in.

I have lots to think about.

Once again thank you so much for all your contributions. Legends.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah the quickshifter gets better after 1000kms. They supposedly reprogram the shift shaft sensor at the first service.
Either way is smooth as now and I love using it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I felt the same about the quickshifter, not great. It has been better since the first service and as I get used to it, but not 'awesome'. It does seem to have a sweetspot for pressure. If you've ever used a properly set up aftermarket quickshifter, or ridden something like an RSV4 or Tuono, you realise that it is lacking.

Still a good bike though, I won't be getting rid of mine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had mine for 18 Months now, and had both oil leaks, new Dash and leaking coolant. All fixed in the first 6 months of ownership. Its been fine since then. The quickshifter was not great when I first had the bike, but after re-calibration it is spot on, one of the best I've used on any bike. Just ask your dealer to re-calibrate it, my dealer did it for free, and it only takes 20 minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2019 model. Bought it new since the begin of April and have rode around 13.000+ km. Even doing a long trip around Europe with that added up another 4000 km approximately.

The only issue I have ever experienced until now is that after that long trip, the quickshifter and shifting in general had gotten very rough and had to be forced in order to change gears properly. Went to the dealer and they lubed up the quickshifter and was smooth as butter afterwards.

People who say that they are experiencing oil leaks might be confusing it with grease that comes out of the front sprocket when you clean the bike. It's pretty hard to open the front sprocket cover for cleaning, because you need to have the correct tools to do so. Looks similar with most of the pictures of "oil leaks" I've seen on here. Of course I checked oil levels afterwards and they were completely fine.

Another issue would be some weird indicator issue that I had popping up on the dashboard. Was riding for 3 weeks in extreme rain and might have caused the little issue. The next day after that issue happened the bike behaved as normal again.

Quick summary. I shouldn't be to worried about problems with the KTM's engine and electronics. In 2019 there are no bad bikes on the market.

·
Registered
140 Posts
i've had mine in once for trying to get KTM My Ride to work (they couldn't). And i've got it booked in again for a warranty fix for a leak around the bottom or possibly front sprocket (they are going to replace both the seals and the gasket).
Not great but you know not bad really either. I think when it's getting run in a lot of these things show up.
I had Lancer Ralliart and that thing was in ALL THE TIME, like for days at a time.
Oh and most cars these days have airbags that will shoot shards of metal into your neck and face; so i'm not to bothered with a little oil leak.

I am grumpy about the state of MyRide. and i'm only writing grumpy because last time i got censored for calling it an absolute steaming pile of ****.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quick shifter

Hi,

I am surprised about your comment on the quick shifter, mine is fantastic, I pretty much used it all the time. I was riding a BMW R1200RTLC before with a quick shifter too, and the KTM 790 one is much better.
Otherwise, yes, the bike is a great toy!

Good luck

Philippe From south west France

Thank you all so much for your input. It really is greatly appreciated.

I have just come back from the test ride.

To be honest, the test ride was just as I imagined. The bike is epic! I really really enjoyed it, beautiful engine, love that torque. I really loved the ergonomics, I feel really in control in that riding position. Love the front end, tipped in so easily. What a fantastic bike. Only thing I didn't like on the demo ride was the quickshifter, it was absolutely rubbish, but I am sure thats because the bike had 1km on it before I road it. I imagine it would be great after being ridden in.

I have lots to think about.

Once again thank you so much for all your contributions. Legends.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Actually I never use the quick shifter, use the clutch all the time. Part of the reason is I have several bikes and don't need the distraction of which action to do also to be honest I don't see the need of a quick shifter on a road bike.
Been riding most of my life - I'm a wrinkly 😂 and use the clutch without even thinking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts