KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Charles here 51yo from Derbyshire UK
I've got a Duke 390 at the moment which I really like apart from it's no good for motorway cruising, so I'm very tempted by the 790, also the prices may drop now the 890 is coming out to play too.
So I've joined to see what you're all talking about 馃憤馃槉

Registered
Welcome. Sadly I do a fair amount of my riding on dual carriageway and motorway. The 790 will "cruise" happily at 70-90mph. The only downside I have found (but I am unused to light weight bikes) is that it is fidgity in strong winds.

I'm in a downsizing moment - the other bike being a <ahem> modified Rocket-III. The R3 is rock solid even in storm-force gales. But it is of course way less practical in town, the twisties etc. I'm also just 60 and starting to notice the bulk.

I want to have a play on a 1290D (because I miss the torque), but tbh I think the 790D is pretty close to being a perfect SOLO road bike.

Registered
Hi Charles.
I鈥檓 a little bit older, but the 790 for me is a great blend of decent power with light weight flick-ability. I get to choose bimble or channel my inner chimp & ride a bit. . . . .more briskly!

I have a riding friend who is normally the groups fastest, who moved to a 1290 Adv but he is finding the extra weight @ huge power slow him down!!

We all find the bike that works for us individually & luckily, I have found mine 馃憤
( I will probably get better suspension later, but for now, just big fun)

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcomes and info. I've never heard anything bad about the 790 everyone loves it. I also like the Honda CB650R with it's lovely in-line 4... But it's it's SO dull. And heavy. I need a lightweight bike but I'll start a new thread for that.

Super-Member
Glad to have you aboard! Read up and take your time. If you get a chance, take one for a test ride. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the bike overall. I am coming off an R1 and have no regrets, though I do want a little more low end and torque (i'm 6'11" 240lbs), though I have no issue sacrificing that for the nimble ability of the 790. Overall, I love the bike. Sounds mean, performs meaner, and looks awesome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts