KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for heated gloves preferably not bulky, I had the heated grips on the last 790 but thought I’d try heated gloves this time.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I use the Gerbing G3 which I've had for 3 or 4 years. I think they've been superceded now. These gloves have super soft leather, so are supremely comfortable. Some have their own batteries with only a short number of hours between charges. Mine run directly off the electrical system via a temperature controller clipped to my jacket belt. I've never needed to have it more than 1/3 of full capacity. The real advantage is better bike control with totally warm hands.

Some photos here: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2016/06/in-praise-of-warm-paws-tyre-update-and.html

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the Gerbing G3 which I've had for 3 or 4 years. I think they've been superceded now. These gloves have super soft leather, so are supremely comfortable. Some have their own batteries with only a short number of hours between charges. Mine run directly off the electrical system via a temperature controller clipped to my jacket belt. I've never needed to have it more than 1/3 of full capacity. The real advantage is better bike control with totally warm hands.

Some photos here: https://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2016/06/in-praise-of-warm-paws-tyre-update-and.html
Thanks Geoff I have a Gerbing outlet very close to me which I only recently found out so will go check it out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I went for a pair of Dane heated gloves just felt a bit less bulky than Gerbing and are gortex.
Bit more expensive but came with the batteries as well although I’ll probably use direct to bike battery

·
The 'other' Long Islander..
242 Posts
So I went for a pair of Dane heated gloves just felt a bit less bulky than Gerbing and are gortex.
Bit more expensive but came with the batteries as well although I’ll probably use direct to bike battery
Good choice with them having goretex!

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I don't think you'll ever regret choosing heated gloves. It makes cold weather riding so much more pleasurable, not to mention better control of the bike. Nice one!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Anyone have any experience with a battery pack heated m/c glove - I am not one for all the wires that need to be connected to make them workable despite the fact I know they work great

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
tl;dr - awesome gloves, nearly killed me (well also my own stupidity)

Just to throw in my 2 whatever your local decimal currency is, I bought a pair of Gerbing XRS-12 short cuff version for my winter commute, which usually gets into low single figure Celsius.

Firstly they are an amazing piece of kit, well made using high quality materials and they work extremely well. To top it off here in the UK they have a lifetime warranty that covers all electrics, excluding batteries (90 days), wear/tear/accidental damage and I personally know some people that have had these gloves for close to a decade and they are still going strong.

The plan was to hook them up to the bike, but I got the battery pack as well for riding other bikes etc. Going into winter they certainly did a great job keeping my hands warm. My only gripes were the battery packs were a bit of a pain (no problem connected to bike) and they were a quite bulky.

Being quite fussy when it comes to gloves, I usually wear short cuff year round, prefer my gloves to be as slim as possible and always try get something as safe but as slight as possible to maintain dexterity.

My commute consists of 10 city miles each way from South into Central London, there is a lot of heavy traffic and filtering/splitting is common/accepted practice (if you don’t you may as well be in a car and triple/quadruple your journey time), think Royal Jordanian. This means that you need to be extremely alert and react fast to situations. One particularly horrible cold wet morning I had an incident that required quick response braking. Don’t know if I wasn’t used to the glove or it was just the bulkiness of it, but I completely fumbled on the front brake.

Fortunately this was on my striple r with brembo blocks and when I did eventually get hold of it I managed to get enough bite to narrowly avoid a potential accident, but it was certainly a brown pants moment.

I still use these gloves for longer motorway journeys, but after that scare I refuse to use them for my commute. Instead gone back to a short wind/waterproof summer glove with the heated grips, if it’s very cold I have a pair of merino liners that go under the gloves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts