KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter #1
Time to change the oil and since you want it hot there is an excuse to go for a ride.

I think 130 miles should be sufficient to heat it up.

Wound my way up to Ben Hur Road which was recently repaved. It went from being a pot hole express to mountain road heaven.

Kinda reminds me of a slice of Pikes Peak as it has some corners you had better not screw up, lest you find yourself at the bottom of a deep canyon.

It's all in a day mate...all in a day.

PXL_20210218_210122130.jpg
PXL_20210218_210053376.MP.jpg
PXL_20210218_210045090.jpg
PXL_20210218_205309101.jpg

Registered
HawkerJ. I'm growing to dislike you. Please stop posting frickin pictures of dry roads and sunshine or at the very least take it out in a heavy storm and get it dirty.. 馃槄

Registered
2020 KTM Duke, '72 Norton Commando, '62 BSA C-15, '82 Suzuki PE 175
Looks like fun. I can't say I'm not jealous. It's going to warm up to the 20's here today.
I'd like to continue to see you out and about enjoying your KTM.
Bottoms Up!

Registered
I worked in the UK and Ireland for some time. I don't know what I do with that climate. Riding as much as I can is the only thing that keeps my sanity. With all the severe lockdowns due to Covid that apparently don't do much, I would be going stir crazy.

Not to turn it into a Covid thread but interesting to look at the results in the US of California (severe lockdowns) vs Florida (pretty open). Statistically Florida is having better results by almost any measure. Every day I am thankful I live in Florida. Yesterday it was 85F here so about 30C and a glorious day to ride.

So glad Hawkerjet is getting some riding in.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
That bike is suspiciously clean - I think he trailers it there. And I think he airbrushes out the traffic.
Yea I am kinda anal when it comes to keeping her shiny. I once heard it said "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." when it comes to mechanical stuff. Actually the 790 is one of the easiest bikes to keep clean. The orange wheels do require a bit more attention than the black ones as they showcase grease and oil pretty well, but boy do they look racy. Makes me look like a young hooligan as long as I leave the helmet on so nobody knows better. I find it amusing to chase down the young guns on their $20,000 BMW 1000 RR's. If they stop I will stop to chat. I love the looks on their faces when I take off the helmet and they realize they were dusted by an old man!!! ;)

Ha, just joking HawkerJ, nice to see someone isn't as stupid as us lot living in the UK..
No worries Fred.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
Not to turn it into a Covid thread but interesting to look at the results in the US of California (severe lockdowns) vs Florida (pretty open). Statistically Florida is having better results by almost any measure. Every day I am thankful I live in Florida.
I sure wish we had a great Governor like you have in Florida.

Premium Member
Time to change the oil and since you want it hot there is an excuse to go for a ride.

I think 130 miles should be sufficient to heat it up.

Wound my way up to Ben Hur Road which was recently repaved. It went from being a pot hole express to mountain road heaven.

Kinda reminds me of a slice of Pikes Peak as it has some corners you had better not screw up, lest you find yourself at the bottom of a deep canyon.

It's all in a day mate...all in a day.

View attachment 6344 View attachment 6345 View attachment 6346 View attachment 6347
Ahh California, don't tell anyone.

Registered
I've had some great rides in the pissing rain, here, Scotland, Grance and Spain, big storms, fine with waterproofs. It is sometimes nice to get your bike dirty but I hate cleaning them after. You never get the front of the engine clean again. That's the advantage of my Velocetter, Enfield and Commando. Kind of rust proof with all that oil underneath 馃檪

Premium Member
I've had some great rides in the pissing rain, here, Scotland, Grance and Spain, big storms, fine with waterproofs. It is sometimes nice to get your bike dirty but I hate cleaning them after. You never get the front of the engine clean again. That's the advantage of my Velocetter, Enfield and Commando. Kind of rust proof with all that oil underneath 馃檪
I have learned a lot, about myself riding in the rain. The rain has taught me to be smooth.

Registered
You never get the front of the engine clean again.
It's easier on painted engines. Or polished alloy.
But if it's a good old fashioned coarse sand cast lump - bead blasting with steam not air is the only way.
Low pressure petrol jets baths too - but they're risky!

Here in Spain we have a degreaser called KH7 which works well but you have to rinse off fast - and parts come up well if soaked in a Biocide called ZOTAL in a 10:1 dilution. I took some tins over for a mate rebuilding an old pre-unit Triumph twin. Apparently it did a sterling job.

Registered
Hey Hawkerjet, I recall your posts from the FZ09 pages, I鈥檓 having a good hard look at the 890, I ended up low siding my fz09 on track dragging the engine case last year. So looking for something fun light nimble with nicer quality suspension 鈥渙ut of the box鈥.

Registered
2020 790 Duke
Discussion Starter #15
Guday mate!

Sorry to hear about grinding up your FZ.

Yep the good o'l FZ09. Put 24,000 miles on my 2014 before I sold it. While it was a really fun bike I gotta say this 790 Duke is way better.

I'm right at 3,000 miles on it now and it amazes me every time I ride it. It is hands down the most fun and easiest to ride bike I have ever owned. It never fights you and always makes you look good.

The stock WP suspension and handling is much better than my FZ09 even after spending $2000 on suspension upgrades on the FZ.

Also unlike the FZ the fueling and throttle response on the Duke is excellent right out of the box.

Then there is the character of the motor. There is nothing on the market like it. The way it grunts and rumbles it just warms your soul and scratches you wherever you itch.

While the 790 is the bomb, I hear the 890 is even more so.

Keep us posted if decide to get one. I am confident you will fall head over heels in love with it.

Cheers.

Registered
2020 790 Duke, 2006 SV 650, 2008 Hot rodded KLR, 1991 Honda Hawk NT 650
No kidding. All this fake Kung Flu bullshit here makes me sick. White lives matter!!!!
We should storm the capital and make them pay.
Glad Ive git fellow Q patriots here.
Really, shove it where the sun don't shine.

a d m i n .
WTF is up with this Forum, that some guy can say White lives matter and it鈥檚 ok?? Dude go go find a hate group and **** off I鈥檓 here to read about motorcycles.
It鈥檚 not ok, he鈥檚 gone now.

Nothing is 鈥榰p鈥 wt this forum, just one bad apple, and a recent join, like yourself..

Never had anyone go off like that ever here in this group.

Registered
Glad to hear, Sorry I pointed my finger at the admins/moderators, I was just surprised his post was still up so many hours after he posted it.
I look forward to enjoying this community of riders as I have and continue to with the sohc Honda crowd, the ZRXOA, FZ09.org, and etc. I鈥檝e been riding and wrenching on my own bikes for 20 years I have learned a lot on Motor cycle forums, and have enjoyed the community around our sport. I hate to see conversations get devolved into that kind of useless hateful Rhetoric.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts