KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Correct, like the current gen 390s have a safety shut-off when tilted past a certain point(dropped) that i dont think even previous 390 models had. This safety feature will be carried over across all models that they think it helpfull in, without us necessarily knowing about it.
My 790R has an undocumented ignition kill when it is dropped.

After you pick the bike up, it will run the starter but never fire. You must turn the key off and back on again to make it work again. Obviously different systems interlinked here, and it's not cohesive. A message on the dash and not running the starter would be a better option.

Edit: BTW, this is a possible cause of some bikes cutting out on normal riding imo.(so they might pull the feature if it becomes a regular issue)
Interesting. I know that LandRover Freelanders had exactly that issue. They'd simply stop, and the fix was to bypass (or reset?) the tip-over switch. Happened to a mate of mine while on the West Coast; fortunately the garage he ended up at called some enthusiast mates who knew the answer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my 2020 790 I noticed that if I turn the engine off before the bike comes to a complete stop, the headlight will remain on, discharging the battery, even after parking the bike, locking and removing the key. If the bike comes to a complete stop, I have no problems, the headlight goes off, as it supposed to do.

Today it stayed on for almost 2 hours until someone at the office told me the headlight was lit on my parked bike. I hope I’ll be able to start this evening and go home.

This is annoying. Anyone else noticing this?
Just to confirm, my (UK) KTM dealer informed that this is actually a factory programmed feature. (Shame they don't mention it in the handbook, right??) It is nothing more than a Parking Light in effect, but it also caught me out the first time I accidentally activated it! It will activate if the bike is still rolling (however slowly) when the ignition is switched off.....

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just to confirm, my (UK) KTM dealer informed that this is actually a factory programmed feature. (Shame they don't mention it in the handbook, right??) It is nothing more than a Parking Light in effect, but it also caught me out the first time I accidentally activated it! It will activate if the bike is still rolling (however slowly) when the ignition is switched off.....
Thanks for letting us know.
KTM forgot to program to also turn off after a minute, so it won't drain your battery.. :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts