KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2020 790 I noticed that if I turn the engine off before the bike comes to a complete stop, the headlight will remain on, discharging the battery, even after parking the bike, locking and removing the key. If the bike comes to a complete stop, I have no problems, the headlight goes off, as it supposed to do.

Today it stayed on for almost 2 hours until someone at the office told me the headlight was lit on my parked bike. I hope I’ll be able to start this evening and go home.

This is annoying. Anyone else noticing this?

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
185 Posts
The question being: WHY would you turn off the bike before stopping? And, if it does what you say then, isn't it dumb to do what you do?
Just asking ....

·
Registered
179 Posts
It is a safety feature. So you still have headlights if you lose ignition while riding at night. Ignition on and off again switches it off.
Try not to switch off ignition before coming to a stop. Messes with Abs, Tc and ultimately Qs also. Systems see it as "open/short to positive". I suspect this is also the reason owners manual says not to use kill switch to turn the engine off.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, is not uncommon on a bike to turn of the engine before you come to a compete stop. I am not talking about doing it when you're doing 20 mph or a half block away from home. I mean turning off the ignition when the wheels are still rolling, a second or 2 before the bike stops completely in front of my garage. Many people do that, I am doing it for years, had many bikes, this is the first one where the headlight remains on and discharges the battery.
Turning off the the ignition when wheels are still rolling should had nothing to do with anything else - is like wen you move the bike around in the garage with the engine of.
Is not a user error here, is another KTM glitch that I am pointing it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Adventure bikes do the same thing, and a few people make the same complaint. In fairness to KTM, I'd have to agree that turning off the bike before it's stopped is not normal usage. And given it's fairly widespread, likely a deliberate (safety?) feature.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
No, is not uncommon on a bike to turn of the engine before you come to a compete stop.
I've been riding well over 40 years and it's the first I've heard of the practice.
I take @MoHawk answer as the reason here - I did wonder myself about safety.
Of course a simple lights on/off switch would be effective.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
185 Posts
No, is not uncommon on a bike to turn of the engine before you come to a compete stop. I am not talking about doing it when you're doing 20 mph or a half block away from home. I mean turning off the ignition when the wheels are still rolling, a second or 2 before the bike stops completely in front of my garage. Many people do that, I am doing it for years, had many bikes, this is the first one where the headlight remains on and discharges the battery.
Turning off the the ignition when wheels are still rolling should had nothing to do with anything else - is like wen you move the bike around in the garage with the engine of.
If you say so. Maybe it's time to stop acting dumbly cutesy.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
185 Posts
I've been riding well over 40 years and it's the first I've heard of the practice.
I take @MoHawk answer as the reason here - I did wonder myself about safety.
Of course a simple lights on/off switch would be effective.
Light switches on motorcycles have been absent for decades in USA.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Exactly what I’ve done as you say it’s not like we are turning the ignition of and coasting half a mile.

·
Registered
2020 790 Duke
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Adventure bikes do the same thing, and a few people make the same complaint. In fairness to KTM, I'd have to agree that turning off the bike before it's stopped is not normal usage. And given it's fairly widespread, likely a deliberate (safety?) feature.
My KTM 1190 Adventure does not do that..

·
Registered
179 Posts
The 1190 is an older beast with different tech.

790, 790R and pretty sure 390 all do it. They have the same headlight as the Duke.
Correct, like the current gen 390s have a safety shut-off when tilted past a certain point(dropped) that i dont think even previous 390 models had. This safety feature will be carried over across all models that they think it helpfull in, without us necessarily knowing about it.
Edit: BTW, this is a possible cause of some bikes cutting out on normal riding imo.(so they might pull the feature if it becomes a regular issue)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts