KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if the issue is on the 790 as well but how do you guys use a head stand on your 890s? My awesome friend/riding buddy picked me up a Pit-Bull hybrid front stand and we realized, too late, that I can't insert the pin due to the brake T-line resting in front of the hole for the pin. So, I ordered the fork swivels so I can at least lift it by the forks in the meantime.

Seems like a massive oversight for a company so keen on marketing as "race ready" and most racers use a head stand over a fork stand. If they had just used a slightly shorter bracket the t-split would be forward of the hole and this would be a non-issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with the over sight, i too bought the pitbull hybird stand to do my forks and i had to undo the t30 bolt that held the tee in place and shifted off to the side to lift by the head. Its an extra step but not really incovient by any means, and the brake lines had enough slack to have the tee set off to thew side without interfering with the lift pin and not putting any strain on the lines themselves. Next I plan to replace calipers on the bike and the stand would be used

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with the over sight, i too bought the pitbull hybird stand to do my forks and i had to undo the t30 bolt that held the tee in place and shifted off to the side to lift by the head. Its an extra step but not really incovient by any means, and the brake lines had enough slack to have the tee set off to thew side without interfering with the lift pin and not putting any strain on the lines themselves. Next I plan to replace calipers on the bike and the stand would be used
For the occasional front-end work, yea, not a huge deal. But I was planning on using this for track days/racing. Was hoping somebody made a shorter support bar for the lines, just so they stay out of the way. Twisting it to one side or another isn't really an option because the lines go in the way instead of the T-split.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My last bike the brake lines also got in the way.
With the fork lift you'll need a few strips of rubber on the bottom of the fork if you want to be able to take the axle out, (my CBR was like this too)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My last bike the brake lines also got in the way.
With the fork lift you'll need a few strips of rubber on the bottom of the fork if you want to be able to take the axle out, (my CBR was like this too)
Good to know, I didn't even realize it was a pinch on the bottom like my dirtbikes.

You will find many modern bikes have exactly the same by design, it's not a KTM thing. I just remove the bolt and push the brake lines out of the way temporarily
I used to distribute for Core Moto brake lines. Dealers and customers both often asked for custom lengths or t-splits so they didn't need to worry about this. And not one single track rider appreciated this approach when the fix is literally to move the spli forward/back an inch or two. It's especially obvious looking at the duke since the mount for it is a few inches long and could be much shorter. Oh well, such is life

·
Registered
267 Posts
What is the headstock inner diameter? i.e. the hole to stick the pin in? - Wondering If I need to machine a new one or not. Guessing 13mm.ish
Last year I machined an 890R one for one of the guys I ride with, it was either 14 or 14.5mm. I haven't measured my 790 yet (I know it's different from the 890R tube), but my front stand just arrived so I'll be doing that shortly. Also making a relocating bracket!

Having been at the track and catching a falling Ducati that was using a fork stand, there's no way I'd use one for working on a bike. It's fine until you have to pull the axle, then the forks can roll out of the stand.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just a heads-up guys, but if you are making brackets to clear pin hole, also check if brake line is touching top of radiator. Mine did (as did others) so I have a bracket placing line slightly forward.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I'm not sure if the issue is on the 790 as well but how do you guys use a head stand on your 890s? My awesome friend/riding buddy picked me up a Pit-Bull hybrid front stand and we realized, too late, that I can't insert the pin due to the brake T-line resting in front of the hole for the pin. So, I ordered the fork swivels so I can at least lift it by the forks in the meantime.

Seems like a massive oversight for a company so keen on marketing as "race ready" and most racers use a head stand over a fork stand. If they had just used a slightly shorter bracket the t-split would be forward of the hole and this would be a non-issue.
Yup. Yet ANOTHER FUUUKED UP thing. I had to take the brake line mount screw out. Just pressed the line down. Left it loose when I raced it. Nice right? F$&k off KTM..

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Yup. Yet ANOTHER FUUUKED UP thing. I had to take the brake line mount screw out. Just pressed the line down. Left it loose when I raced it. Nice right? F$&k off KTM..
DO NOT BUY KTM RACING FOOTPEGS!!! No spare parts available or offered… No ****!!
$500 wasted!! Woodcraft. EVERY PART NUMBER GIVEN FOR EVERY PART…

1 - 20 of 44 Posts