KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 790 Duke
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

52 and just got my first KTM. Sold a Harley last Saturday and took some of the proceeds and bought a 2020 Duke 790. I think you’re supposed to go in the opposite direction. Haha. Riding back from the dealership I realize a windscreen and some type of throttle lock were in order. I’ve ordered an Ermax windscreen and have a manual throttle lock coming from Aerostich. A fender eliminator is on the way also as well as led turn and brake signals. Currently looking for bar end mirrors. Probably go with the CRG Arrow. Then it’s off to exhaust and maybe upgrade the suspension. Although I doubt I’ll do many track days so the suspension might be of limited use. My BMW R1200RT is parked for now while I get the break in miles on the Duke.

My tech at work when she first saw the bike asked me if it was street legal. I laughed and said yes. Then she asked if my other bike, the BMW, wasn’t dangerous enough. Haha.

That’s my grandson and granddaughter on the bike. My grandson said he wasn’t getting off the bike. Then when we came inside after taking the pics he asked me “When you die can I have the new bike?” Haha. I laughed and told him it would be ratted out by the time I died. Haha.

·
A d m i n .
151,023 Posts
Big welcome to ya! I’m a big fan of doing exactly the opposite of what’s ‘expected’, as well. :ROFLMAO:

You’ve clearly set the hook in your grandkid!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Welcome - My KTM was my 60th present to me. I've quite a few mates who are downsizing (in weight) as they age. Legs get weaker, arms get weaker.
Yeah - the brain gets weaker too, but the 790 electronics stop me doing stooopid stuff (well up to a point).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Grats! Early 40's here. I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the HD. Sometimes I like to go low and slow. I'm with ya though. If I had to pick one over the other, KTM all the way.

NO WAY could I have been responsible on this bike in my younger years...

·
Premium Member
2020 790 Duke
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big welcome to ya! I’m a big fan of doing exactly the opposite of what’s ‘expected’, as well. :ROFLMAO:

You’ve clearly set the hook in your grandkid!
You should have seen my grandsons face when I pulled up the garage door and he saw the bike. It was like he looked at his new toys on Christmas day. He asked my wife "Maw Maw, can I sit on the bike?" She told him to asked me but he was too scared, so she asked me. I rolled it out and the rest is history. Haha.

Grats! Early 40's here. I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the HD. Sometimes I like to go low and slow. I'm with ya though. If I had to pick one over the other, KTM all the way.

NO WAY could I have been responsible on this bike in my younger years...
I wasn't using the Harley much since the Beemer came into my life about 3 years ago. It was just too much money sitting there not to be used. And I knew in the back of my mind some bike would replace the Harley, The Duke has soul like the Harley and is a blast to ride.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

·
Premium Member
2020 790 Duke
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've been looking for a way to describe what owning and riding a KTM feels like and that sums it up perfectly.
Yep. It’s the rumble of the engine that makes soul. Inline 4s are great for the race track. But I’m not racing. Give me a twin of some sort( or a triple.) And offset the firing order so it’s like a VTwim. I looked at the Kawi 600s but they were soulless. My K1600 had an awesome engine. But sounded like a sowing mechine at idle. My R1200RT boxer engine has soul too. Moto Guzzi as well.
I was thinking if the 790 is a Duke he’s not the buttoned up prim and proper aristocrat Duke. He’s the youngest red headed brother who doesn’t follow the norms. Causing his parents to keep and An eye on him. Haha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts