KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw some references to this in the forum, but wanted to have a dedicated thread. I am looking for a flatter and possibly wider bar. The idea is to be a little more leaned forward and over front wheel.

Any specific recommendations and/or suggestions? Did anyone replace bars? If so, to which and what is the result?

·
Registered
236 Posts
HI!
Here is the one I use->Neken, product number: 5480200130017.
The bar is around 810mm wide (if I remember correctly), the stock is 760mm. It has less curve and its also lower. I also put the bar all the way into the forward position, that together with the form of the bar, puts much more weight over the front wheel, result -> much less wobble.
Hope this helps!:smile:
Cheers!

PS. no modifications to the cables needed:)
You can see the bar in the videos.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Much appreciated!

Was looking at ProTaper and Renthal bars. Both have similar products. Good info about the install.

May I ask how tall you are?

Great videos, BTW.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx!
I’m 190cm so that’s around 6,2 and half feet I think:)
Cheers!
I am 1.90 as well. Thanks!

When testing the Hypermotard 950, prior to buying the Duke, it had a seating position that I connected with immediately. Felt more forward leaning and in a way more "in control". Probably has to do with my sportbike background.

Just ordered the Renthal 822-01. It's designated KTM Low. I hope it is not too low/far. My bars are in the front position, currently. I can always bring them back.

Once I receive it, I will install and report back.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought about it. Probably going a little bit too far, though. If that's the case I will go back to a sportbike. Wanted to give this naked trial a real chance :angel:

I really enjoy the bike, just want a bit more forward biased body position.

·
Super-Moderator
367 Posts
Just adding to this - the standard bars can be shifted forward in position, won't make them wider but does help with a less upright more forward riding position.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Installation complete.

A few notes:
1. The bar is wider at around 810mm vs. the original 760mm. It is the Renthal 822-01 KTM Low.
2. Install was pretty straight forward.
3. With the length of the components, wire harnesses and brake line, this is probably as wide as you might want to go before having to make some changes to get the components further out on the bar.
4. Needed to add some thickness to the bar for the kill switch and left side switch-gear, in order for them to sit tight. Done with duct tape, so probably a couple of tenths of a mm. No problem with other components, although room on the bar was pretty tight due to the 200mm control length.
5. No problem with the bar full range of motion. Nothing obstructing or pulling. Side to side motion is free and smooth.
6. I left position of the bar clamps in the front. Seating position is much more leaned forward, although not too much. I actually thought about trying a yet lower but shorter bar. For my purpose, this is the best Renthal had to offer. I did see other brands offering completely flat bars (drag bars) that will be lower. Might be the next thing to try.
7. As a side note, rear view with the KTM bar-end mirrors mounted downwards is much better on this bar, due to the different angle to the rider. actually pretty cool upside.
8. The added 50mm width and lower bar end position might prove a problem in traffic, for all y'alls lane spliters.

More impressions after a longer ride.

Some pics:

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK... Here goes:

I took a quick, 10 mile spin on my favorite back roads, around the house. Nothing too challenging but it did enable me to get some very initial impressions.

The bar is WIDE :surprise: At 810mm it is wider than anything I rode before (I am coming from clip-ons). It also has very little sweep back, so I will have to get used to the hand positioning. Did I already say it feels very wide?

It definitively puts me in a much more forward leaning riding position. I actually need to look down in order to see the instrument cluster. My upper body is really way forward, compared to the original position. I will have to see how this feels at higher speeds and longer rides. So far, so good.

With the wider bars and more weight on the front, turn-in effort is non existent. This makes steering even lighter, on a bike that already had a very light steering feel. Pretty impressive.

Braking feel is different too, as I get a bit more dive than before, while hard braking (more weight transfer). The new pads might also be a culprit, having much more bite and more stopping power.

No issues with any of the controls. All work smoothly and as expected.

More to come after my weekend ride.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That might be in the Duke's future. Time will tell...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I chose Renthal 819-50 which is slightly higher but have more backweep which allowed me to change handlebar mount point(in triple clamp) to front one. Difference is amazing, much more active position and you can turn bike with one finger, also feeling of frontend improved a lot.

·
Super-Moderator
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I chose Renthal 819-50 which is slightly higher but have more backweep which allowed me to change handlebar mount point(in triple clamp) to front one. Difference is amazing, much more active position and you can turn bike with one finger, also feeling of frontend improved a lot.
I thought about this one, as an alternative, but went with the flatter more forward bars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have Renthal KTM Low in Duke690 so I had possibility to compare it in 790 and considering my needs I kept 819-50 :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got the Woodcraft clip on kit. Unfortunately the bike is at the dealer until further notice due to an immobilizer issue :mad: . Will report back once its on. I also have bar end mirrors, so ill report on clearances as well. Will most likely set up clip ons in their highest position as clearance is minimal at full lock with stock bars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts