KTM 790 Duke Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of being labelled a heretic (oh and I am :devil:).

Hand protection. I don't mean those bar-end lever protectors. I mean protectors for my dainty pinkies when 'tis cold and damp. Yes 'tis cold and damp this morning.:sad:

KTM after all do make a fair number of off roaders. Maybe the ones from the 790 Adventure?

Has anybody done anything similar? - if so be interested to know what you went with.

I use Barkbuster Blizzard on my R3 fitted over Acerbis DualRoad. Excessive? - maybe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I fitted Powerbronze handguards to mine. Look okay & I have been out in heavy rain, & they do help with wind & rain.

My local dealer (Gear 4) took photos as other riders had been asking about them.

The 790 Adv guards don’t fit the Duke.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got Sw-Motech Kobras https://www.sw-motech-shop.co.uk/images/hpr_00_220_23100_b_1_xl.jpg I think they look really cool. They can be upgraded to have indicators in them, and there are 2 versions for mounting. Since I got bar-end mirrors, I had to get the ones mounted from near the mirror.
Be warned - the right hand side one can impede the standard break lever. Not sure if bar-end mounted version would have the same problem or not.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - I am going to see if my local KTM place (which is really an OFF ROAD dealer) has anything. tbh I rather like these KTM ones

Not expensive either.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do they fit?
Plastic only or metal and plastic?
Do they fit - No idea (yet). I'll be going to collect some stuff I ordered from the local dealer later today - So I'll ask them.
Given the price - They are plastic.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do they fit - No idea (yet). I'll be going to collect some stuff I ordered from the local dealer later today - So I'll ask them.
Sadly - they do not fit. They foul the brake hose and maybe the adjustment knob. Dealer dug a set out and offered them up to a 790 in stock. They also looked at what KTM has in the pipeline - Nothing. Time to get "inventive".

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fitted SWMotech Kobra handguards straight away from getting the bike. They are easy to fit with no cable issues.
Trying to avoid "single bolt" solutions.

The dealer I use is really an off road place - so they are trying every set of 2 point guards they can find on their demo 790D. I'm lucky to be close to Spains longest standing KTM dealer. And they still have that old-fashioned way about them. The old fella there who's really the boss has decided to take this as a challenge. :grin:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well this AM I was bored, and SWMBO was still sleeping: so I whipped an Acerbis off the Rocket to see how it'd look.
OK really. Yeah I know it's all messy.

I'd do a road test but I messed up one of the original Acerbis bar inserts years ago - and one sided would be odd. The Acerbis bar inserts are quite heavy being steel/brass. But if I go "single point fixing" I'll machine up something heaver to mate with the KTM inner weights.

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
42 Posts
I fitted SWMotech Kobra handguards straight away from getting the bike. They are easy to fit with no cable issues.
I fancy the SW Motech Kobra handguards but was puzzled to discover on the SWM site that they are allegedly incompatible with the 790 Duke. Yet you have successfully fitted them without difficulty or issues! Can you tell me more? The Kobras looks ideal. I'm just querying why SWM imply that they don't fit.
If you had no issues then I will go ahead and order regardless. Thanks. OWD.

·
Registered
2020 Duke 790
17 Posts
I've been looking for hand guards as well. I'm on the verge of ordering Puig. None of the pictures I've found show the guards from rider's perspective though, only from the front looking back.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just chiming on @Oldwisedude I too have fitted the SW Motech Kobra hand guards - you can see how they fit on my bike here.

I believe you can get the Kobras with different mounting kits and not all of them work with the 790. As long as you have the single clamp version that connects to the handlebars inside the control lever perches they fit just fine.

Specifically I got these guards and the extension shells as these give better wind protection as they extend the shell upwards.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
42 Posts
Good to know, dma . I was concerned that the single point fixing type might shake around in the wind.

·
Registered
286 Posts
They don't move too much at all to be fair.

There's a small vibration that starts above 60mph or so - they move less than 1cm in total at the worst (5mm up 5mm down), mostly much less. It's just a little vibration so it doesn't affect their wind blocking in any way. I think the angular shape helps.

I've ridden the bike at much higher speeds they're fine at any speed the bike is capable of.

·
Registered
790 Duke 2020
42 Posts
Thank you so much. That’s reassuring. I’ve just placed the order with SWM.
So I’ve now got all the important Accessories ordered prior to bike delivery on 22July.
I’ll try to get the running-in out of the way before swopping tyres. But I won’t drive through the winter on Maxxis. Conti RA3 are my favourites.

·
Registered
39 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts