KTM 790 Duke Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I had tried the 790 before and it was "nice", but nothing that I really wanted. But when my 690 Enduro was in the shop I got a 890 to ride about. Instead of the planned 45 km, I rode all day, put 450 kms on it and figured I'd need one in my life.
When I got back i asked for an offer for the demo bike. They had sold it already but 2 weeks lated I had my brand new one delivered. This was in September I think. So far I took it to Italy and did a few track days.
What a lovely piece of kit! It does just the right things, in my opinion the perfect street bike, and dropped Street Triple RS right from the top of desirable bikes list. Reminds me of the very first 990 Super Duke R, but just is a lot easier to live with – not to mention better in every single way.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome! I may be biased but I think the 890R is the best streetbike in the KTM lineup. I could easily have bought a Superduke but for my riding the 890R is more fun and better. If I was going to be winding it out all day long at 100+ mph on the motorway, then there are better bikes than the Superduke anyway for that. It is just so much fun to play with and it cruises pretty nicely too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may be biased but I think the 890R is the best streetbike in the KTM lineup.
I agree. As an ex-250 racer I appreciate the insane precision of the 890. It's just unbelievable. The name "Super Scalpel" is well deserved. Super Duke on the other hand should be " the Sledgehammer" instead of "the Beast". I don't remember when I wanted a bike so much. Maybe the Ninja H2, and RSV4 before that. The Street Triple I loved (and still do), but not enough to go out and buy one.

Congrats. What have you done/added to the bike?
This one is for riding, I have a '96 ZX7R restomod project to fiddle with. I'm just gonna swap the fugly plate holder and tail light for Kellermann indicator/tail light units and maybe add a water pump crash protector as it seems really exposed. The standard front brake pads are terrible in the soaking wet, so those I'll swap to EBC EPFA's during the winter as I got good experiences with them. Not even gonna bother with the exhaust as I like the noise and the looks of the standard. As an option I chose the basically obligatory Tech Pack – it's pretty much essential, isn't it.
Even the riding position is more or less ideal with the bar as front as it will go and the feeling from the pegs is good enough so that a rear set isn't imo justified. The only "real" upgrade I'm thinking about is getting the suspension rebuilt, but the standard doesn't seem half bad, so we'll see.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and enjoy! I have owned both the 1290 R and the 790. The 1290 was a bit too much and the 790 was not quite enough. Picking up my new 890 in a couple of weeks and thinking it will be just right! ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice choice. I bought a 790 six months ago at a runout price and just love it had a ride of an 890r demo the other day as I was thinking about upgrading (who doesn't want more power) but unfortunately I don't have a spare 10g for the change over at the moment so I'll have to keep laughing on the 790 (at least until I get my divorce settlement) for the time being . My brother bought a Triumph 765rs at the same time and as much as he doesn't want to admit it I'm sure he has more fun on my bike.

Great choice especially as you do a bit of track work as well. ENJOY😆

Go KTM GO JACKIE MILLER GO REMY GARDNER 🏍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts